This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100916 - PAX Prime 2010 - The Con

2»

Comments

• Don't worry, Japan will evacuate to the moon.
  • Arcadey in the U.K.
    <3
  • Just listened to this one.

I had another observation about the Late Show that relates to the woo game, which came from watching the video. During the lead up to the show where you were killing time with the crowd, you laid down the rules as related to the woo game. However, not everyone listened, so whenever some popular product was mentioned you just had 1/3 of potential woo-ers woo-ing (this sentence got weird). The end result was that to the non-observer who didn't get that primer on the woo-ing, it seemed like the crowd was just totally out of it.

I did grab a room for the weekend of PAX Boston at the Renaissance across the street. If you just go to Marriott and throw down a reservation, you can cancel this sort of thing up to 6PM the night of your actual reservation, so why not just grab one?

As far as keynotes go, I cannot agree more that everyone who attends a PAX should make it a point to go to the keynote. My wife wasn't able to get into Seattle until really late Friday, so even though it wasn't the #1 event on my list at the time, I made it a point to take her to the make-a-strip panel first thing on Saturday. This worked out great and we wound up having a great con. You really need that great main theater type event to ramp up the excitement. By the end of an awesome main theater event you are ready to beat down the doors on the way out to go see the rest of the con.

Maybe wear the kilt half of the year. NYC winters do not sound like fun.
  • Maybe wear the kilt half of the year. NYC winters do not sound like fun.
    If they are anything like Boston winters, they are FUCK.
  • Maybe wear the kilt half of the year. NYC winters do not sound likefun.
    You know why they are so fuck, right? That damn Cape is not so far away.
    Ahhh, Cape Cod... The most seaweed-y beach ever.
    Ahhh, Cape Cod... The most seaweed-y beach ever.
    Also cranberries.
  • Oh sweet mother of dog, y'all.

I am in Seattle, and from Austin, and when you started speculating about PAX Austin, I just about wet myself with excitement. Please nonexistent god, let it be so.

I was kind of expecting an international PAX before we saw another US one, though.
  • PAX Chicago. It'll happen.
  • I'd rather go to Austin because I can take an extra long vacation to see some relatives.

Man, 3 Paces a year. That's gonna be a bit of budget.
  • Man, 3 Paces a year. That's gonna be a bit of budget.
    Four a year every year is my max I think, though any new PAX gets at least one go (up to a maximum of 12 Paces in a given year). ;^)
  • edited September 2010
    PAX Chicago. It'll happen.
    I would be quite happy with this for purely selfish reasons, as I live in the northwest quadrant of the Indiana Interdimensional Void.

Why not PAces Chicago, Austin, Seattle, and Boston? We could call them PAX Up, Down, Left, and Right. Admittedly, any further PAX expansions would have to get names like B, A, and Select.

Ed: missed a closing >.
    Post edited by Frank on
  • PAX Up, Down, Left, and Right.
    Then I'd have to go to Paces Chicago, Chicago, Austin, Austin, Seattle, Boston, Seattle, Boston.

Yes, I know that's the joke you were going for.
  • Two Chicagos in a row? Can't lose.
  • Then I'd have to go to Paces Chicago, Chicago, Austin, Austin, Seattle, Boston, Seattle, Boston.
    I was trying to think of good additional cities to throw in as B, A, and Start, but I can't help but note how well Boston, Austin, and Seattle map to those... especially since that makes Seattle, very appropriately, Start.
    Except that Chicago has no pizza.

I suppose that's better than Boston not having wings, though.
    Except that Chicago has no pizza.

I suppose that's better than Boston not having wings, though.
    Waaaaaaat Chicago deep dish stuffed pizza is one of the best things EVER invented Pete.
  • Waaaaaaat Chicago deep dish stuffed pizza is one of the best things EVER invented Pete.
    Had it, or at least attempts at it. I prefer a Brooklyn-style ultra thin crust.
  • Waaaaaaat Chicago deep dish stuffed pizza is one of the best things EVER invented Pete.
    Had it, or at least attempts at it. I prefer a Brooklyn-style ultra thin crust.
    You're talking the "cracker with pizza toppings on" crust, not the "fold it in half and eat it like a taco" crust, right? Both are good in my estimation. I do have to posit that anyone who says they don't like Chicago-style deep dish has never had an authentic Chicago-style pie. If done properly, a slice will more than fill you up and a whole pie can feed a family of twelve for three days. ;-)
  • All pizza is valid, and, indeed, magical. Let us have no zealotry here.

Well, except frozen pizza. Gross. And Little Caesar's. Super gross.
  • Little Caesar's. Super gross.
    1000 times yes!
  • I just realized I survived this PAX without getting sick. Woohoo! Let's hope for the same for PAX East.