This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Childhood Injustices

edited September 2010 in Flamewars
This is not really my idea. Credit for this thread goes to Luke.

When I was young and the world still held promise for a man who wanted to live an honest life, my pappy reckoned we'd do best to move to the Kansas Territories. Pappy, Mam, Granny Duquesne, my brother Increase Jedediah, and I took an old Conestoga wagon from Terre Haute, IN all the way out to the trackless prairie. Along the way, Jed took to callin' my favorite goat hisn'. That riled me up something fierce, because that goat was the only thing in the world that I could honestly lay claim to as my very own, but Pap said that I should just hush up, because Jed was wicked retarded and didn't know no better.

Well, I bided my time until we had us our place. Then one day, there was an "accident" involving Jed and Pap's '48 Colt Dragoon Revolver. At least, that's what Pap and Mam told the sheriff's inquest. I'll never forget that injustice. I KILT that retarded little sumbitch, and I never got credit for it.

Comments

• *golf clap*
  • All the kids in the world who are born into a shit family, shit country, or shit situation in general, and thus have a much harder time of going anywhere in life.
  • More in line with the intent of the thread, every kid who was ever picked on and bullied and teachers didn't notice or care. But then, of course, as soon as the bullied kid tried to take justice into their own hands, the teachers suddenly woke up.
  • All the kids we read about on Fark screwed by retarded school policies, mostly zero tolerance ones, such as the kid who got expelled for boy scout knife and kid who got suspended/expelled for Tylenol.
  • I live in two households(mothers and fathers) were up until this year I was minus an internet and cable.
    All the kids in the world who are born into a shit family, shit country, or shit situation in general, and thus have a much harder time of going anywhere in life.
    How so? To a prince being king is a matter of waiting. Wile for some random pour kid, getting a job, moving to the suburbs and starting a family is a life's work.
  • IKILTthat retarded little sumbitch, and I never got credit for it.
    Like Daddy always said: "Killen' Kin don't Kount."

Also tis' alright to get to First Base wit' your first cousin, round Second Base wit' your second cousin, and to wed your third cousin in the great state of Tennessee.

Anyone taking "justice" into their own hands is wrong. Sticking up for yourself is one thing. Going trench coat vigilante is another.
  • I never had an Optimus Prime toy.

-sniffle-

I know, it's horrible. My childhood was so hard.
  • Childhood injustices are an interesting thing because they're all relative to the child's mind. You don't have a perspective on the world, so happiness or sadness is caused just by going above or below what is normal.
    I never had an Optimus Prime toy.
    The good news about having "really not a problem in retrospect" childhood issues like this, are that if it really was your biggest childhood problem, you're probably in a good enough situation in life where you can go buy all the transformers toys you want.

I feel your pain though. The vast majority of my Transformers toys were of the 1990 "Action Masters" line, which means they were actions figure Transformers that didn't transform. Great injustice, indeed!
  • I always found Transformers toys to pale before the resilience and transformational complexity of M.A.S.K. toys. The former had a better show, to be sure, but the latter's toys were, in some words, wicked awesome.
  • I feel your pain though. The vast majority of my Transformers toys were of the 1990 "Action Masters" line, which means they were actions figure Transformers thatdidn't transform. Great injustice, indeed!
    I also have a bunch of Action Masters. Even though they didn't transform, they were still pretty good.
  • My only problem with childhood was a mother who was intent on not letting me make mistakes and controlling my life. As much as I complained during it, looking back I had a great childhood with two loving parents who weren't even divorced and provided for my every need, while making me work for the things I wanted.
  • We could turn this into a show. Analyze five or six particular injustices and examine how we would have, as adults who somehow retained to ability to remember what it's like to be a child, handled them.

The cycle seems to be similar for most kids.

1. Bullies bully nerd.
    2. Teachers ignore it; nerd takes it.
    3. Bullies escalate.
    4. Teachers ignore it; nerd takes it.
    5. Bullies step way over the line.

From here, there are a few common branches.

6a. Nerd has a miserable time with no help from anyone at the school, suffers basically illegal and unconscionable torment.

6b. Nerd asserts himself and fights back.
    7b. Nerd is punished for doing so.
    8b. Repeat.

6c. Nerd gives up on local child culture and retreats to the internet.
    7c. Nerd eventually leaves town, enjoys college and rest of life.
  • From here, there are a few common branches.
    Your branch c isn't really a branch. It's just what comes after branch a and b. Also, there is the suicide branch, the extremely rare murder branch, and don't forget the move to a new town and start again branch.
  • Your branch c isn't really a branch. It's just what comes after branch a and b.
    I'd argue that it is. Kids who don't follow that branch continue to care, and continue to be affected by the bullies. That branch implies having given up on your hometown and neighbors in a fundamental way.

Also, there clearly are other branches. I didn't say these were all of them, I said they were common ones. Your attempt at pedantry will get you nowhere.
  • Random observation about childhood: I was in AM kindergarten, and was just a generally content and happy child. One day (I have no idea what the reason was), there was a day where all kindergarten students met at the same time. The PM kids bullied the crap out of us for an entire day. I'm not saying every PM kindergarten kid or their family were bad, but this leads me to believe that a higher percentage of them had lazy parents, and that manifested itself in the parents not wanting to wake up early and get their kids to school.

Of course now they're all converting to full-day, so I'll be dating myself with this as I tell it on my rocking chair in the retirement home.
  • Wow Rym thanks, I just remembered how much I hated my life in elementary school and jurior high.
  • I always found Transformers toys to pale before the resilience and transformational complexity of M.A.S.K. toys. The former had a better show, to be sure, but the latter's toys were, in some words,wicked awesome.
    I remember playing with Mask toys at other kids' houses. The motorbike/helicopter was awesome.
  • I never had an Optimus Prime toy.

-sniffle-

I know, it's horrible. My childhood was so hard.
    I never got my life-size Barbie jeep. Thanks to that, I am a horrible driver now.

Speaking of bullies, I remember one time a fellow nerd and I put mustard in a bully's seat at lunchtime. We got in really big trouble, sent to the office, had to write letters, buy him new pants, etc. (Now that I think about it, the punishment might have been a little overboard, but whatever). It was TOTALLY worth it.

And then there was that kid in kindergarten who couldn't keep his hands to himself around girls. One day walking in line to lunch, he tried to touch me "in a bad place." I pushed him down really hard and made him cry. I got in really big trouble of course. But that night I told my mom why I did it, and soon that boy disappeared and we never saw him again. o_o
  • 6c. Nerd gives up on local child culture and retreats to the internet.
    7c. Nerd eventually leaves town, enjoys college and rest of life.
    7c. Nerd feel isolated/abandoned/neglected from society and further isolates self with over internet use
    8c. Social isolation leads Nerd to coop with escapist fantasies.
    8c. Nerd continues to live in parent's house and is never a productive member of society.

I feel your 7c. was a bit too optimistic. The internet is not a cure all. It's like water. Too much and you'll drown.
  • I feel your 7c. was a bit too optimistic. The internet is not a cure all. It's like water. Too much and you'll drown.
    Depends on if the kids goes to college or not. Leaving home for college is when you leave a locational culture and enter a self-selected culture. College is the Internet come to life for many kids. 7c happens if you go to a cool geeky college. If you don't, 6c is possibly your endgame.
  • I think I told this story before, but it sucks so much when you were right and a teacher tells you you are wrong and they don't believe you because you are a kid.

One time in kindergarten I was writing "google number" which is, as you know, a one with 100 zeros after it. A boy in my class told me there was no such thing as google and I said there was. The teacher made me apologize for telling lies.

Another time my 6 grade teacher was explaining inflation and he said that when inflation was 100%, your money was worth nothing. I asked how Brazil could have had more than 200% inflation and he basically told me to be quiet. Another time he marked me wrong because on his test where the hint was "deciduous" and I put "Elm." He said the answer was "pine."
  • I think I told this story before, but it sucks so much when you were right and a teacher tells you you are wrong and they don't believe you because you are a kid.
    Yup, sooo unfair. This isn't quite the same thing, but I remember one time I had a bad cold, and I had to clear my throat very loudly. The teacher got mad at me for "pretending to be choking" and I got in trouble. I tried to tell her I was just clearing my freaking throat, but she wouldn't believe me. WTF?

And then there was the time I got in trouble bc a boy blew water on me (we were doing that water drops on a penny thing in science class) and I yelled out in surprise. I had to sit in the hall, and she made me cry.

Wow, so many fond memories.
  • I've never had a Nerf gun.

T_T
  • edited September 2010
    I've never had a Nerf gun.

T_T
    Is childhood lack of material things assuaged in any way by acquiring the same things in adulthood?

. . . or is it just not the same?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I've never had a Nerf gun.

T_T
    Was a Super Soaker in your possession as a substitute?
  • I don't think it's the same.

And yes Geo, many.
  • I never had a problem with bullies in high school. While there were some in my school I just didn't have time to put up with their shit and they left me alone. How many of you had this childhood problem?
  • edited September 2010
    I remember having to sit out of recess for about a week or two having in second grade to make a card for my parents. There was a group of five or six of us that had to sit on the steps and do this mandatory arts and crafts project. The actual card was made by filling in a picture of an owl by cutting out 1cm squares of paper which were glued to the owl picture. The teacher had to approve your project before you got to play. To this day I don't understand why we couldn't just color the thing in with crayons or markers.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • edited September 2010
    I've never had a Nerf gun.

T_T
    Me neither, so we made peashooters with PVC pipe and Balloons (we always wore eye protection just in case)
    Post edited by MrRoboto on