This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2

edited September 2010 in Movies
A new trailer for part 1 came out today. Shit gets real.

Are you excited? Or have you decided that you're just too darn cool to care about Harry Potter?

Comments

• I'm excited. But, I'm still a tiny bit skeptical about it all because David Yates is still doing it. I didn't care for the adaptations of Order of the Phoenix & Half-Blood Prince, but it seems from the trailers they aren't leaving things out. I hope that's the case since they have 2 movies to do the book.
  • To be honestly I have never liked harry potter. I feel the first book is quite good but I tend to feel they get lost as the series goes along. I went to high school with a kid that insisted it was the greatest fantasy series ever written without reading anything else.
  • I've read the books and I usually see the movies three or four years after they come out. I wouldn't say I'm too cool, but not exactly chomping at the bit, either....
  • Liked the books when I was a kid, then I read too much Terry Prattchet and they became unreadable around the fifth book.
  • I didn't care for the adaptations of Order of the Phoenix & Half-Blood Prince,
    Really? I thought the Half-Blood Prince movie was great. As for the Order of the Phoenix, well, the source material kind of sucked.
  • Really? I thought the Half-Blood Prince movie was great. As for the Order of the Phoenix, well, the source material kind of sucked.
    Yeah, it's my least favorite of the movies. This has been talked about before. Kate pretty much sums it up for me:
    I have to disagree wholehartedly. Every film since the Prisoner of Azkaban has been rushed and dull. The worst offender, in my opinion, is the most recent that culminated in so-and-so's death which seemed like a rushed afterthought to the point that it was rendered completely anti-climactic. Ever longer CG action scenes overtake almost all character development and dialogue.
    However, I did enjoy Goblet of Fire. That movie convinced me to read the books. I've also recently had a conversation with another friend about this. I do like seeing a few elements adapted to the big screen, but overall as the story, I feel they left out things that I thought were important to the story.

I'm actually going to revisit all the audiobooks and then watch each movie after I finish the book, so I can see if my point of view has changed.
  • edited September 2010
    Goblet of Fire is probably the best book aside from Half-Blood Prince, imo. Easily the best of the movies too.

The audiobooks are probably the best incarnation of HP. The guy who reads them does such a fantastic job. He actually outperforms many of the film actors.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The audiobooks are probably the best incarnation of HP. The guy who reads them does such a fantastic job. He actually outperforms many of the film actors.
    You mean Stephen Fry?

Anyway, I was done with Harry Potter years ago.
  • edited September 2010
    The audiobooks are probably the best incarnation of HP. The guy who reads them does such a fantastic job. He actually outperforms many of the film actors.
    You mean Stephen Fry?
    No man, Jim Dale. Guy's got such a good voice. I didn't even realize Stephen Fry did an audiobook for HP.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • You mean Stephen Fry?
    Oh, you mean this guy? (NSFW)

• No man,Jim Dale. Guy's got such a good voice.
    QFT. He makes the retelling of the stories wonderful.