This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Psychedelics

Comments

• This thread simultaneously makes me feel incredibly worldly compared to many of you, and incredibly non-worldly compared to others. ;^)
    How so?
  • If you are going to to do heroin it's better to justshoot yourself now.
    FTFEveryone.

Heroin ruins people. Don't do it. Even Lemmy fucking Kilmister agrees, and that man has done all the drugs.
    I assume your are speaking from personal experience?
    Because I can. And even though it sucked and was awful that a member in my family went through heroin addiction. I'm sure am glad that weren't told nor tried to fucking kill themselves.
  • Brownies take a lot more planning and prep time.
    But brownies have the added advantage of being delicious.
    Ironically enough, I've heard pot brownies are disgusting.
    If you strain everything correctly, and use a strong brownie recipe, (Triple Chocolate Fudge or something like that) there is no discern-able flavor difference.
  • I said the same thing about gay marriage seven years ago when my state (Massachusetts) legalized it. So far, what do we have? NH, civil unions in Vermont, Connecticut, RI (?), and freaking Ohio of all places. It's going to be a long road, is what I'm saying.

Also, expect Massachusetts to be the first or second state to legalize. Possession of less than an ounce is already basically nothing worse than a traffic ticket in this state.
    In Alabama, it's the same, but for under a kilo.
  • edited September 2010
    Ironically enough, I've heard pot brownies are disgusting.
    I'm not sure I've ever eaten an actual brownie, but I've had cakes and cookies, and yeah, they're kinda gross.

This is only marginally related, but once I went to a party that a friend of mine was throwing -- she'd baked a bunch of edibles, and anyone who brought a (non-weed) dessert to share got a weed cookie or whatever. My girlfriend and I made and brought churros. At one point, these two 18-20ish guys were passing by us, and I heard one of them say "even the churros have weed in them!". The churros definitely did not have weed in them.
    In Alabama, it's the same, but for under a kilo.
    Really? I just did a quick search, and according to NORML, under a kilo is up to a year in jail and a $6000 fine.
    Heroin ruins people. Don't do it. Even Lemmy fucking Kilmister agrees, and that man has done all the drugs.
    Yep. One of my former best friends is apparently a full-blown heroin addict now. Last I heard of him, he'd just stolen and pawned another friend's guitars and amp.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I assume your are speaking from personal experience?
    Because I can. And even though it sucked and was awful that a member in my family went through heroin addiction. I'm sure am glad that weren't told nor tried to fucking kill themselves.
    Pete did not mean for that to be taken literally. He just meant to convey that heroin does horrible things to you.
  • In Alabama, it's the same, but for under a kilo.
    Really? I just did a quick search, and according to NORML, under a kilo is up to a year in jail and a $6000 fine.
    http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/Marijuana-Laws/alabama.htmThere are only two possesion situations. So anything under 2.2 falls into misdemeanor. I guess the judge could max out the terms though.
  • edited September 2010
    I assume your are speaking from personal experience?
    My uncle and his on-again-off-again girlfriend are both "recovered" heroin addicts. I say "recovered" because they never actually kicked the addiction; instead, they both replaced heroin with alcohol.

My uncle nearly died 4 weeks ago, actually. His liver is destroyed to the point that it can no longer process any amount of alcohol. He went on a bender one Thursday night, and since the alcohol couldn't break down, it instead collected in his abdomen and extremities - the medical term for this is ascites. It impaired his lung function, and since he was already fighting pneumonia, it progressed to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). ICU, breathing tube, antibiotics, the whole nine yards. It was horrible to see him like that.

Fortunately, I've heard that he wants to sober up and change his ways. He's in a rehab program now. I'm hopeful that it'll work, but I maintain a bit of skepticism, since it didn't work the other 4 times he tried to clean up his life.

His girlfriend has successfully recovered from her heroin and subsequent alcohol addiction, but she didn't get by unscathed; her mental acuity is severely impaired, and she has a hard time generally focusing on things. Her physical health is also terrible, but hey, at least she's not dead.

They have a daughter - my cousin - who I'm pretty sure is somewhat developmentally disabled as a result of being born to a heroin-addicted mother and being raised by alcoholics and druggies. At the very least, she has no sense of personal responsibility, is staggeringly immature, and is making extremely self-destructive life decisions, like getting mixed up in drugs. You'd think that her abysmal parents would've sent a message, but it looks like the cycle of drug abuse is going to run its course again.

So yeah. Heroin is a mean fucking drug. Don't do it. And don't abuse any drug. Moderation is fine, and that's what you need to do, but don't go overboard or you'll ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

FYI, I don't actually advocate suicide for addicts. My point was more that if you're thinking about doing heroin, you really should think twice about it, and then think twice more. The only place that road leads to is destruction, and it'd be more humane for everyone if you just ended it early instead of torturing yourself and your loved ones.

But the shit should be legalized and regulated, because it would be safer that way.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • So anything under 2.2 falls into misdemeanor.
    A misdemeanor is a lot more serious than a traffic ticket. That page shows a less severe fine than the one I found, but it's still up to a year in jail.
    But the shit should be legalized and regulated, because it would be safer that way.
    So, my understanding of the situation is that heroin itself actually does negligible harm to your body (as long as you don't OD), and the negative consequences are generally a result of the lifestyle of being completely dependent on a very expensive, very illegal substance. Is that right? If heroin were legal, and its price were commensurate with its actual production cost, heroin addiction would be a much, much less serious thing, right?
  • edited September 2010
    So, my understanding of the situation is that heroin itself actually does negligible harm to your body (as long as you don't OD), and the negative consequences are generally a result of the lifestyle of being completely dependent on a very expensive, very illegal substance. Is that right? If heroin were legal, and its price were commensurate with its actual production cost, heroin addiction would be a much,muchless serious thing, right?
    From a toxicological viewpoint, no. Opioid dependency seriously fucks your shit; once you reach a tolerance where you can no longer physically up the dosage anymore (very possible, it happened to a friend of mine post surgery), you must go into withdrawal or die. And your stage V withdrawal at that point will likely be so impossibly horrific that the tachycardia, weight loss, and dehydration alone could kill you.

You could ease these symptoms with other drugs, but then you're tossing dice: either get addicted to another drug during withdrawal, or have a fatal contraindication and die.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • So, my understanding of the situation is that heroin itself actually does negligible harm to your body (as long as you don't OD), and the negative consequences are generally a result of the lifestyle of being completely dependent on a very expensive, very illegal substance. Is that right? If heroin were legal, and its price were commensurate with its actual production cost, heroin addiction would be a much,muchless serious thing, right?
    What WindUpBird said. Opiates are fucking brutal on your system. The only reason I'd want to legalize them at all is because that way, we can at least regulate them. Government-run drug stores with on-staff counselors to see if people are getting too gone. Legalization also removers the pusher from the equation, which may help the situation somewhat.

But no matter how it shakes out, heroin will never be a good idea.
  • A misdemeanor is a lot more serious than a traffic ticket.
    For the record, just so everyone knows, the class of crimes that are "just as bad as a traffic ticket" are civil offenses. They rarely involve any jail time, and are mostly just fines for under $1000.
  • What WindUpBird said. Opiates are fucking brutal on your system. The only reason I'd want to legalize them at all is because that way, we can at least regulate them. Government-run drug stores with on-staff counselors to see if people are getting too gone. Legalization also removers the pusher from the equation, which may help the situation somewhat.
    Yeah, it doesn't help that some sick fucks like to cut heroin either with straight-up poisons (go ahead, mainline some abrasive cleaners with your deadly drug, why not) or with synthetic opiates that are even more suicidally addictive and dangerous than heroin. Chicago had a big problem a few years back with bad neighborhoods scoring heroin cut with fentanyl. It was basically a recipe for respiratory system failure.
  • Kratom. It's legal.
  • So's Salvia, which surprised the fuck out of me.
  • So's Salvia, which surprised the fuck out of me.
    You ever done it? That's some crazy shit. I gave some to a friend of mine, and he was kicking back on the couch saying "I don't think anything's happening", and a few seconds later, he was punching the air, yelling "get away from me, motherfucker!" My experiences have been somewhat more agreeable. Here's what I wrote down after my first real salvia trip:

As soon as I exhaled, I started feeling the forces pulling me backward. I felt like I was in a river and the current was pulling me downstream. I closed my eyes, and I could see the river, as well as these cartoon/Disneyland trees on either side of the river. They were made of these big "scales" of matte rubber or plastic, in pale, almost pastel shades of brown, green and pink. I suddenly knew that I was supposed to be in some kind of show -- like a cross between a live show for a theme-park audience, and a pre-produced television show -- about a family of cartoon bears. I could see in my mind the momma bear sweeping the porch outside her tree. I felt like the current was trying to take me away so that we could start the show -- I knew that as soon as I let go and went with the current, the theme song would start, and we'd be off.
    It was at this point that I became aware of the presence of the big friendly dragon. He was towering over me, though I felt him more than saw him, and I knew that he was waiting for me to come along. I felt that it was extremely important to tell Becky that I was going now, but I'd be back pretty soon, and not to worry -- I knew she was sitting there on the couch, and I was pretty sure she didn't know anything about the bear show. I told her something like "Don't worry about me, I'm going, but I'll be back," and she laughed and said she wasn't worried. At that point, I became more aware of the split between reality and the bear-show world. It seemed really funny, and I started laughing as I tried to tell her about it -- it took me several tries to get out something like "You won't believe this, but I'm in a forest with cartoon bears." She laughed, and I started laughing more. Then she said "Have fun with the bears," and I totally lost it. The absurdity of the conflict between reality and the bear world hit me, and I was howling with laughter. At this point, I started to feel hot and sweaty, but it wasn't too bad. During this whole time, the visuals were so strong that when my eyes were closed, I was totally there in the plastic forest, but even when I opened them, I could see the plastic forest around my peripheral vision. Suddenly, I became aware of the presence of another figure -- a smaller version of me (or of whatever cartoon character I was supposed to be), like a Boo-Boo to my Yogi. At that point, it started to wear off, and I gradually came back to reality.
    A bunch of stuff about heroin.
    Wow. I've heard from multiple sources that opiates don't actually do any damage on their own. I mean, not that I thought it was a good idea or anything, but damn.

And yeah, I agree with Whaleshark (and most intelligent people) that the only reasonable way to deal with drugs, even very dangerous ones, is to legalize and provide easy access to clean, measured doses and paraphernelia, and treatment.
  • I'm not seriously suggesting this idea, but I thought I would share it anyway.

You know how you walk down the street in NYC, and sometimes the mystery water falls on you? What if we purposefully setup some mystery water, but it was LSD. Then we have cameras all hidden to see what happens to people who get hit.
  • I no longer do drugs of any sort (this includes alcohol. I am an addict. I have done enough drugs for everyone on this forum combined. I will have a year clean on Thanksgiving) Anyway, back in the day we used to trip hardcore. This one week( well lets be honest it was more like 2 weeks) some back ground info. I lived in a house where all of us worked at a local TGI Fridays. So after work everyone from work (and all of our friends from other jobs and such) would come to our house to party/ Each night there was about 15-20 people at our house. So one week we (the housemates) decided, "hey lets just trip our balls off for as long as we can when we are not at work". So this became a 12 day adventure. It started out with all of the housemates eating 1/8 of mushrooms the first night. This was much fun. By day 3 or 4 we realised we needed to up our intake. So we ate 1/4. Day 5 was 1/2/ Day 8 was 3/4. By day 10 we were eating an zip each. Now sirs, this was a poor, poor idea. Our stomachs hated us for this. not only because mushrooms are food poisoning. But for these 2 weeks we worked at TGI Fridays, came home. Ate mushies. Tripped face. Drank until we passed out (anyone who has tripped will tell you that you can drink a shitload). Get up and repeat. So we were basically fucking our stomachs with a condom made of sandpaper.

After 4-5 days of communal "tripping" all of us got very introspective. And kicked everyone that didn't live there out of the house and locked ourselves in our respective rooms. I had hours long conversations with the posters on my walls. I spoke with Goku, Bruce Lee, Bob Marley and a dolphin. These two weeks changed me forever. FOREVER!!! If I could go back in time Id slap my face and say dont be a fuckin moron. I notice my cognitive abilities are slightly slower and sometimes (rarely) when I have "brain farts" I stutter. Tripping will fuck with you. I did enjoy these two weeks. But I did severe damage to my brain, liver and ... what was I talking about....

What Im sayin. Is. I wouldnt do it again.. And do not recomend tripping for 2 weeks.
  • "Moderation in all things, including moderation." -Petronius
  • I'm not seriously suggesting this idea, but I thought I would share it anyway.

You know how you walk down the street in NYC, and sometimes the mystery water falls on you? What if we purposefully setup some mystery water, but it was LSD. Then we have cameras all hidden to see what happens to people who get hit.
    That would be the best reality show ever.
  • Well I just ate 3 grams of some fine Cubes as well as 10mg Hydrocodone and I've got about a gram of weed to smoke. Today's gonna be a good day.
  • That would be the biggest TV lawsuit showever.
    But don't let me stop you.
  • That would be thebiggest TV lawsuitshowever.
    But don't let me stop you.
    If people can laugh and enjoy the idea of George Carlin's "The All Suicide Network," then dumping LSD on random strangers isn't going to be that bad. The camera crew can just follow them, make sure the people aren't falling onto train tracks and all that.

I've only smoked marijuana TWICE, since about last month and that's the only drug I've ever done. The roommates I've had are real druggies/drug-buffs, so they've told me some stories and know what drugs are good and bad. Marijuana hardly does anything, it just makes you really relaxed. Maybe goofy, tired and/or easily amused, but not a threat. It's only when you have to take marijuana right before going to school or doing it between breaks that makes you an addict. And psychedelics are weird cases too, but it's more of what your brain perceives that makes it a bad or good trips. They are just really intense.

In terms of bad drugs, you never, EVER EVER, do Cocaine, Heroin, or Crystal Meth. Meth really is dangerous, from how my roommate describes. It doesn't make you feel on-top of the world, it makes you have withdrawal really fast to have more and more meth.
  • I won't try to debate you guys right now, I'll save that for later. But I must say, beating Super Mario Bros. is probably the best vibes EVER, speaking from first hand.
  • edited September 2010
    I went to the FRC forum and somehow I keep getting redirected to erowid...
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • But don't let me stop you.
    Fred, my good friend, I never do.

That almost sounds like a batman villians scheme....
    Really? Cause I notice you aren't currently incarcerated.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm not seriously suggesting this idea, but I thought I would share it anyway.

That almost sounds like a batman villians scheme....
    And then...WE SHALL POUR IT INTO THE WATER SUPPLY!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    Really? Cause I notice you aren't currently incarcerated.
    I surrender on the point to you, with a note of gratitude.