This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• It's rooted in the uncomfortable truth that most black Americans are descendants of slaves, whose country of origin is undocumented.
  • It also sounds slightly less terrible than saying "blacks", which a lot of people said before "African-Americans" was in vogue. Now mostly go with the slightly more general "people of color".
  • One of the naming tropes for sauces at my grocery store is "memories of" so there's "memories of dad's grill" and "memories of alabama" but then there's "memories of korean barbecue" o.0
  • Hey man I have some real fond memories of Korean barbecue.
  • It also sounds slightly less terrible than saying "blacks", which a lot of people said before "African-Americans" was in vogue. Now mostly go with the slightly more general "people of color".

PoC actually means something different altogether. It's any non-white ethnicity. African-American is not synonymous with it.
  • I didn't mean to imply that they're synonymous, just that PoC is getting used increasingly.

I'm pretty sure "black" is both very common and not considered a pejorative.
  • Ikatono said:

It also sounds slightly less terrible than saying "blacks", which a lot of people said before "African-Americans" was in vogue. Now mostly go with the slightly more general "people of color".

It depends on how it's phrased. "Black people" is fine but if you just say "blacks" or "the blacks" you sound pretty racist. Similarly, "Person of color" is ok but "colored person" not so much (I know they have somewhat different meanings, but still.)
  • Ikatono said:

It also sounds slightly less terrible than saying "blacks", which a lot of people said before "African-Americans" was in vogue. Now mostly go with the slightly more general "people of color".

It depends on how it's phrased. "Black people" is fine but if you just say "blacks" or "the blacks" you sound pretty racist.
    Fair point.

• Pegu said:

One of the naming tropes for sauces at my grocery store is "memories of" so there's "memories of dad's grill" and "memories of alabama" but then there's "memories of korean barbecue" o.0

Today I found memories of Thailand.
  • What about the Antarctic-Americans?
  • Penguins?
  • Starfox said:

What about the Antarctic-Americans?

That made me wonder if anyone has been born in Antarctica. It turns out that yes, at least 10 people have been born there.
  • Oceanic-Americans?

How important are these labels for our identity? Aren't they just ever used for discrimination or does it serve a real purpose for identifying someone?

Surely with the amount of world travel and mixed heritage also, these categories are becoming obsolete. My background extends to at least four separate countries, I get mistaken for all sorts if I just don't tell you my families background.
  • I dislike anyone claiming a hyphenated American unless they or their parents were born as non us citizens. Everyone else your just an American no need for special qualifiers.
  • I'm a Lunarian-American
  • We use the labels because the lived experience of African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Native Americans, and white Americans is often drastically different. Not just in the sense of the effects of racism and sexism, but also that there are unique subcultures in those groups that we should recognize -- the labels are used to describe some of that heterogeneity.

Those categories won't be obsolete until those subcultures and differences of perspective either disappear or change into something entirely different.
  • Does the use of labels/naming conventions perpetuate the differences?

I feel any grouping of people into subcultures seems to automatically bring with it blanket stereotyping of those so grouped. I can't say "Asian-Americans" without that bringing up whatever connotations that start to separate people into groups and immediately questions of who belongs.
  • The problems with categories/ genres/ labels is they become too broad/ vague in their definition as time goes.

They must evolve and change as we do (divergence/ convergence). When trying to identify people this way, it starts to become a no true scotsman situation. Whether you're trying to describe someone's, geographical background/ ethnicity/ culture/ religion.

We're all human, we should self-identify with all human history and culture IMO. Matters of identification isn't solved by labelling in this fashion.
  • SWATrous said:

Does the use of labels/naming conventions perpetuate the differences?

Yes it does.
    From what I've seen and the Americans I've interacted with the levels of separation are crazy. Why would you even be called Italian American? An Italian American would stick out like a sore thumb just as much as any other American if they were to holiday in Italy. Same goes for every other subtype.

My friend is Kevin.
    versus
    My Italian American friend is Kevin.

Do you need a qualifier for why you have an Italian American friend? Am I supposed to apply stereotypes and prejudge this Kevin who I've never met before (is it possible not to)?

Genetically you're also messing your species up by making specific breeds (e.g. domesticated dogs and cats are fucked up medically and genetically) versus sub-species who evolve to thrive in a particular environment.

So get out there and fuck someone who looks completely different to your family.
  • Rewatching old South Park episodes, PMSL
  • Fast karates "we name him hanabi" bit still makes me laugh until I cry.
  • That episode is so good.
    "Didn't you know I was disguised as that bush!?"
  • edited July 2015
    For the uninitiated:
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Our resident Unix Santa at work is a cool Irish dude who just quit last week. Before he left, he was showing a few of us some of the things that no one else in the office knows how to do. And he kept saying with his Irish accent, in reference to his various user accounts, "I'm disabled." Thanks to the IT Crowd, I had to fight to keep myself from laughing every time he said it.

• It's reached the point where I'm going to look for an ad-blocking browser for android.
  • If you're rooted, take a look at AdAway.
  • Pegu said:

If you're rooted, take a look at AdAway.

I've rooted before, played with ROMs, but found it too much of a hassle.
  • Apparently a Yowapedal cafe is opening here next week.
  • 2bfree said:

It's reached the point where I'm going to look for an ad-blocking browser for android.

it doesn't catch everything, but you can get adblock plus on the Firefox browser for Android now