This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Boston's not within reasonable commuting distance of New York, and therefore isn't a suburb.

Do you not drive 4 hours to work each way?
  • Boston's not within reasonable commuting distance of New York, and therefore isn't a suburb.

There are people who make that commute.
  • Apreche said:

Boston's not within reasonable commuting distance of New York, and therefore isn't a suburb.

There are people who make that commute.
    Those people aren't reasonable.
    (Gotta love the reasonable person standard!)
  • In the Ancient Egyptian exhibit, there was an Ancient Egyptian peephole where an Ancient Egyptian statute stared behind Ancient Egyptian plexiglass towards an Ancient Egyptian spiral staircase occupied by an Ancient Egyptian security guard defending the Ancient Egyptian terracotta warriors.
  • edited October 2016
    Rym said:

Rym said:

Granted, PAX in Boston is ~5.6% of the population of Boston, and Boston is actually, amazingly, smaller than Seattle.

I mean, city proper population is about 20k less than Seattle, sure - but Boston's MSA is substantially larger than Seattle's.
    Boston is basically a suburb of New York.

Yeah, I said it.

I would argue that to be a suburb, you'd have to be culturally dominated by that city. Boston is very far from being culturally dominated by New York. Hell, we don't even really talk the same; just try ordering a "milkshake" in New York vs. most of New England.

Edit: That said, we've been through this game of "Rym gets bored an makes an argument", so let's start from first principles.

Rym, define "suburb" as used in the sentence "Boston is basically a suburb of New York".
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Oh, I can't defend that statement with any rigor. I was just making fun of Boston.

If I really wanted to talk Boston, I'd just say that it feels relatively provincial. But that's unfair, because if I had to list places I've visited since I moved to New York that don't feel provincial...
  • edited October 2016
    Rym said:

Oh, I can't defend that statement with any rigor. I was just making fun of Boston.

If I really wanted to talk Boston, I'd just say that it feels relatively provincial. But that's unfair, because if I had to list places I've visited since I moved to New York that don't feel provincial...

The only way Los Angeles is provincial is that it's as big as an entire province.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym said:

Oh, I can't defend that statement with any rigor. I was just making fun of Boston.

Oh, OK. As long as you're just giving us shit, that's cool.

That said, as much as I love this city, I always vaguely felt like the entire place was annoyed that New York stole a future that rightfully belonged to it.
  • Rym said:

Ok word. I say the same thing about Providence so I can't be too mad.
  • Greg said:

Rym said:

Ok word. I say the same thing about Providence so I can't be too mad.
    Yeah, but, at the same time, it's a bit of a different case. Providence pretty much IS an extension of Boston. I mean, the whole state is basically Massachusetts-lite.
  • I peaked into the Facebook marketplace and the first thing I saw was a bud of weed. The description simply said "definitely not drugs".
  • I would be the overlap between the Furry community and MAGA community would be non-trivial.
  • Really? I don't know much about furries, but I think they might be described as... Nontraditional? That seems kind of the opposite of the Trumpets.
  • Top results for Conservative Furries (couldn't find anything sincere and Trump-specific):
  • I'm consistenly confused if the cartoonish nature of furry costumes is part of the thing. I feel like it'd be less weird if it didn't just blatantly look like a mascot at a high school sport event.
  • My favorite is the bag-on-head with the airsoft gun.
  • If that's a centerfire SIG rifle, that might be the one gun that costs more than the fursuit.
  • MATATAT said:

I'm consistenly confused if the cartoonish nature of furry costumes is part of the thing. I feel like it'd be less weird if it didn't just blatantly look like a mascot at a high school sport event.

Would you prefer if the furry standard was a taxidermy wolf head?
  • I suspect in the old days that seeded the culture, the ability to completely cover yourself and present an entirely disentangled persona was the primary driver for this. Couple that with a lot of people who had various body dysphoria issues (e.g., uncomfortable with their obesity), and it makes a lot of sense.

I have definitely seen disparaging comments about "younger furries" (see also: younger cosplayers in general) being hot, making them feel bad. Even at anime/comic cons, the older generation of cosplayers seems pretty bent out of shape that the popular people in the space these days actually physically look more like the characters.
  • Rym said:

I suspect in the old days that seeded the culture, the ability to completely cover yourself and present an entirely disentangled persona was the primary driver for this. Couple that with a lot of people who had various body dysphoria issues (e.g., uncomfortable with their obesity), and it makes a lot of sense.

I have definitely seen disparaging comments about "younger furries" (see also: younger cosplayers in general) being hot, making them feel bad. Even at anime/comic cons, the older generation of cosplayers seems pretty bent out of shape that the popular people in the space these days actually physically look more like the characters.

Those young people don't realize they are hot.

Most humans get less hot with age.
  • Furries tend more towards liberal, it's a community that is very inclusive towards LGBT after all. The amount of crossover isn't that high, it's just that the unholy union of furries and Trump really stands out, and is sometimes paraded for shock value or as cringe material.
  • They're like the conservative bronies.

They enjoy a thing. They're also hateful shitlords. When the thing they enjoy is opposed to their nature (as hateful shitlords), they maintain cognitive dissonance and seek to continuously asset both identities. Thus, they are aggressive and stand out.
  • edited October 2016
    I'm quitting politics. At least until after the election. I've done this on Twitter and Facebook before but now I'm implementing it here too. If you see me posting about or commenting on posts about anything political that happened after Nixon's resignation, please do not engage and tell me to stop before it's too late.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Greg said:

I'm quitting politics. At least until after the election. I've done this on Twitter and Facebook before but now I'm implementing it here too. If you see me posting about or commenting on posts about anything political that happened after Nixon's resignation, please do not engage and tell me to stop before it's too late.

Welcome to the smart club.
  • edited October 2016
    Apreche said:

I always thought the smart club was filled with people who set aside the sensational and discussed policy in detail - those who would sift through the nonsense and the noise to address real human need and crisis. I thought the FRC was the kind of "smart club" that engaged in such discussion, because rigorous discourse and debate changes minds and inspires action. Apparently, per Scott, they are the 'ignore it because it is annoying and futile' club.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Apreche said:

I always thought the smart club was filled with people who set aside the sensational and discussed policy in detail - those who would sift through the nonsense and the noise to address real human need and crisis. I though the FRC was the kind of "smart club" that engaged in such discussion, because rigorous discourse and debate changes minds and inspires action. Apparently, per Scott, they are the 'ignore it because it is annoying and futile' club.
    If you find some changeable minds let me know.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

I always thought the smart club was filled with people who set aside the sensational and discussed policy in detail - those who would sift through the nonsense and the noise to address real human need and crisis. I though the FRC was the kind of "smart club" that engaged in such discussion, because rigorous discourse and debate changes minds and inspires action. Apparently, per Scott, they are the 'ignore it because it is annoying and futile' club.
    Found them.
  • edited October 2016
    Apreche said:

Apreche said:

2 counterpoints.
    1: There's an entire unexplored academic field of how to change a mind, such as part 2 of this.

2: Engaging on a level that Kate Monster suggests isn't just good for changing minds. It's also good for either informing people of stuff they've not thought about in depth, or informing them of enough to inspire them to do their own research.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Found them.
    Are they on Twitter? Are they following you? If not, why are you tweeting? Yell at the sky day comes but once per year.
  • Apreche said:

In regard to the presidential election, who knows? If someone makes a compelling argument that HRC isn't the best candidate running, then I will chang my vote. Moreover, there are many points of policy worth discussing. Greg started such a duscussion, and with a bit more research, might have made a compelling point.

I would hope that most FRCers welcome new and better information on all topics.