This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Non-Shit-Talk of Your Day

Comments

• The first one is my favorite. It just went downhill after that. I should play that shit again.
    I vaguely recall the first one, GBA version, if I recall. I don't think I ever finished it. I could always get the dust off the GBA SP and if I find the game, give it another go.
  • Fuck yeah, Superstar Saga.
  • Found my GBA SP. Whoa. It has no jack for headphones. I have to get an adapter? Weird. I don't recall needing one.

I started playing my old save file on Super Star Saga. I have no idea what's going on. It's probably best I start over again. I also have no idea what the fucking beans do in this one. I also have going to Game FAQs for it. .txt files aren't not fun when it comes to FAQs.
  • Found my GBA SP. Whoa. It has no jack for headphones. I have to get an adapter? Weird. I don't recall needing one.
    Yup, the adapter fits into the charger at the back. I think I may even still have my adapter, though I sold my SP.
  • .txt files aren't not fun when it comes to FAQs.
    I know! I love text files too!
  • I actually downloaded one of Loomis'es books and am teaching myself how to draw. We'll see how long this lasts.
  • Not really my non-shit talk, but for Jeremy, who doesn't "believe" in making forum posts.

Finished making the first beta copy of his deck building game and was shipped today to some people who are going to be the second round of game testers, who currently reside near or around Astoria, NY.
  • I only have six hours of class per week now, for the next two months. Way too much free time. Grabbing the Kobold Guide to Board Game Design to start work on a game I've been shit-talking for a long time. It was originally intended to be a Napoleonic War naval RPG, but now I'm aiming more towards a Lego-based hex wargame focusing on ironclad naval skirmishes.

• Finished making the first beta copy of his deck building game and was shipped today to some people who are going to be the second round of game testers, who currently reside near or around Astoria, NY.
    Luke Crane and Jared Sorensen?

;^)

• Lulz. That was back in February. We're currently working on beta version 2.0. New card backgrounds, new mechanics, and all that fun stuff.
  • Lydia and I were inspired to make our own boardgame at PAX-E. Maybe it will actually happen!
  • The basic crunch for the narrative, low-sim pulp noir RPG my friend and I are working on is sorted. We have enough game to start testing.
  • In my continuing quest to stay busy, I started a new blog on Tumblr, got the theme set up, and designed a simple banner. It's not a "me blog" like my other one; rather, this is a science/tech/geekery blog that I'll actually be writing longer pieces for in the interest of doing some actual journalism. Also updated my normal blog, and am going to dump more photos there later.

Here's the banner, which should also give an idea of the topics covered (also 100 hours in MS Paint).

• That sounds like a very cool blog, WUB, but the orange-on-gray banner is nigh unreadable.
  • I recommend a subtle letter border. #333, maybe?
  • That sounds like a very cool blog, WUB, but the orange-on-gray banner is nigh unreadable.
    Way better in the context of the blog theme, but I admit it needs work. Maybe I'll get a graphic designer to do the banner and design a logo?
    I recommend a subtle letter border. #333, maybe?
    Like I said, I'm working in MS Paint, which blows. Adobe Illustrator would be infinitely preferable.

• Like I said, I'm working in MS Paint, which blows. Adobe Illustrator would be infinitely preferable.
    Dude, even the GIMP would be better.
  • The GIMP could probably work. Input the text, rasterize the layer, then apply an outline.
  • There's also Paint.NET if you want a more typical GUI than what the GIMP offers.
  • The GIMP GUI won't even scale to fit my screen. What a piece of absolute shit.
  • The GIMP's UI is probably its weakest feature.
  • edited April 2012

Way better. Also, the shading on the letters gave the title the kind of cool Fallout look I was aiming for. Might need a bit of work yet; can't decide if I should shade the right-hand byline so it doesn't look so flat. (Also, 1 hour in Paint.NET)

EDIT: Futzed with it, the new one is better.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Nice. Maybe slightly less text shadow on the right-side text, but the left side is perfect.
  • Over the past two cruises I did most of a complete re-edit of Star Wars Episode 1, which I have entitled The Silent Menace.

The opening yellow crawl reads:

Imagine a movie plotted so weakly, with actors directed so poorly, that it would only improve with the illogical dialogue, annoying voices, and racist accents removed.

In the case of Episode 1, what would remain? The amazing visuals and music from the minds of George Lucas and John Williams.

As for the script, what follows is my best attempt to make logical sense of the action on screen. Please do not expect the result to fit into the canonical Star Wars universe. Really.

Under the influence of a secretive political faction, the Federation prepares to invade the planet Nabu. Two Jedi Knights, Quigon Jin and Obiwan Kenobi, are sent to protect Queen Amadala.

Juliane and I just watched it through for the first time... and it's really good! It makes waaaay more sense than than the original. By replacing the dialogue and re-editing a lot of the action, I took out loads of plot holes. I introduced way more intriguing back story, made the 4 different action sequences at the end have some impact on each other, tying them together in terms of plot and causality. I also introduced a few very-non-canon science fictional elements to explain why the fuck the Queen is so boring, and what the fuck Jar Jar Binx is doing throughout the entire movie.

Also: no midichlorians, and no prophesy about someone bringing balance to the Force. As it happens, the movie is about 11 minutes shorter than the original.

Now all I have to do is finish the music cues and tighten things up. That will probably take way longer than I expect, even if I take into account how much longer I think it is going to take.

Questions: I introduced intentional misspellings of proper nouns in my version, to make it stand apart from the original.
  • You'd best post a link to that when it's done.
  • Everything is almost pack tomorrow I shall move to new place and tell Aunt. Sneakiness aside I need to get out of here.
  • I joined up with some other gaming industry people who wanted to start a Google+ Hangout on Air show. Last night, we non-shit-talked by getting together for a dry run test, and it was pretty fun.

• Well its official, out at friends place in one of the most stressfull days phyically and emotionally I had in a long while. Going to help the aunt because it is the right thing but soon a new chapter begins. Thanks for being awesome guys.
  • Under the influence of a secretive political faction, the Federation prepares to invade the planet Naboo. The Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jin, and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, are sent to protect Queen Amidala.

• The video cuts to black at 5:28, and then I don't see anything for the rest of the video.
    I cannot WAIT for you to finish it, though.