This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

100 pastors flout tax laws, probably will get away with it.

edited September 2010 in Flamewars
100 pastors to bait IRS today on "Freedom Sunday".

Basically, ever since '54, part of the tax code is that to be a tax-exempt church, you have to refrain from any political speech on the pulpit. Apparently feeling that it's unfair that, in addition to not getting to pay taxes, they can only say political things 6.5 days out of the week, 100 pastors yesterday officially endorsed candidates from the pulpit.

I'm split but not really on this issue. On the one hand, freedom of speech and all that, but on the other, a George Carlin quote comes up: If they want to participate in political discussions, pay the toll like everyone else.

Comments

• I'm split but not really on this issue. On the one hand, freedom of speech and all that, but on the other, a George Carlin quote comes up: If they want to participate in political discussions, pay the toll like everyone else.
    Religious organizations should have the same privileges as any other profit or non-profit organization and nothing more.

This tax-exempt status should not exist in the first place.
  • I'd love to see the IRS send auditors to sit in the front row.
  • a George Carlin quote comes up: If they want to participate in political discussions, pay the toll like everyone else.
    My stance on the issue. The rules are pretty straight forward. While I agree with Rym that they probably shouldn't have tax-exempt status in the first place, they have it and if they want to keep it then that means no politicalness on the pulpit.
  • My stance on the issue. The rules are pretty straight forward. While I agree with Rym that they probably shouldn't have tax-exempt status in the first place, they have it and if they want to keep it then that means no politicalness on the pulpit.
    The article claims that Obama charged religious leaders to preach politics in favor of nationalized health care. I'm unable to verify that claim, but if it were true, then this whole thing is messy.

Apparently, though, "Pulpit Freedom Sunday" has been going on for a few years. So, no matter what, this needs to be dealt with.