This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Diaspora

edited September 2010 in Technology
I was curious about how Diaspora worked exactly, so I installed a so called "seed" on my web server. If any of you want to see how it is, be my guest to sign-up and test it. But be warned, this is only a preview and I'm probably not going to host this for a very long time, except if enough people express interest.

Have fun: Diaspora* Server

Comments

• Slashdot had an article up about the release of Diaspora, it were about the release and some guy who apparently doesn't do a whole ton of RoR work picking apart what apparently security issues there were in the code.

Interesting read, however a good deal of it was with the caveat of "I don't use RoR, but I'm pretty sure this isn't secure".

For those who haven't read it yet
  • edited September 2010
    More like LOLspora, amirite?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT USE DIASPORA. THAT SHIT IS SO INSECURE YOU'RE BETTER OFF PUTTING YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION IN PLAINTEXT AND HOSTING IT ON MYSPACE.
  • Diaspora will not take off until:
    1. It becomes incredibly easy for anyone to get an account and use it, especially if they don't know what a "seed" is
    2. Its feature set is comparable to Facebook's and at least one "killer app" feature to make people switch other than privacy
    3. They fix all these security holes everyone's going on about
    I'm not particularly optimistic about any of those.
  • Diaspora will not take off until:
    Dwarf Fortress becomes open source.
  • Dwarf Fortress becomes open source.
    That makes me wonder, what ever happened to the open source version you guys were putting together?
  • That makes me wonder, what ever happened to the open source version you guys were putting together?
    I actually will have more time to help them come January.
  • edited September 2010
    That makes me wonder, what ever happened to the open source version you guys were putting together?
    I actually will have more time to help them come January.
    I'm the only person writing code and it's slow progress when you have a job. Obviously many people who have jobs and can also spend a little time to make improvements will speed up the process, but I keep hearing from Scott that he's busy, so...

Besides, I've taken my project away from a DF type clone to a different direction. Think Action RPG (Gauntlet) on a massive scale with procedurally generated content.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • We’d also like to thank the people who have reported security holes. Most of what was reported was has already been patched, and if you see any further problems, please let us know at exploits@joindiaspora.com.
    Diaspora will not take off until:
    Dwarf Fortress becomes open source.
    Yeah, pretty much.
  • I'm the only person writing code and it's slow progress when you have a job. Obviously many people who have jobs and can also spend a little time to make improvements will speed up the process, but I keep hearing from Scott that he's busy, so...
    I'm pretty useless at this point - I'm teaching myself as fast and best as I can, but you guys are still leaps and bounds ahead of where I am.
  • Well, I own a copy, you know, and it looks pretty cool, but I never played Traveler and I've never used the FATE system so I don't know for sure if my group is going to... um...

Never mind.