This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2011

Comments

• Sooo, the Barrel night thing is for beer, right? I think I'll be sitting out of that one. Maybe I'll find some random kids to play board games with.
  • edited December 2010
    Sooo, the Barrel night thing is for beer, right? I think I'll be sitting out of that one. Maybe I'll find some random kids to play board games with.
    Lyddi won't be attending either, she'll be hankering to play board games as well.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Sooo, the Barrel night thing is for beer, right? I think I'll be sitting out of that one. Maybe I'll find some random kids to play board games with.
    Lyddi won't be attending either, she'll be hankering to play board games as well.
    There will be no shortage of board games.
  • Err, nevermind the Barrel Night + Forum has been sold out, but not the regular ticket. Might not be as rushed as previously stated, but don't wait until the last minute either. Pete, I still got your ticket.
    What's the difference between the two and which one are we buying?
  • edited December 2010
    Just get the standard Barrel Night ticket.

It's also now currently 50% sold out.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The Forum is $15 more to get a skip the line pass and spend some quality time with the brewers.
  • Standard barrel night purchased. I'm surprised at how quickly something like this is selling.
  • T'aint old enough to legally drink I'm afraid. Wouldn't stop me, but I don't have a taste for alcohol.
  • Hope everyone got their tickets, cause it's now sold out.
  • edited December 2010
    Hope everyone got their tickets, cause it's now sold out.
    PAX is? Whoa, I just bought mine today! Lucky thing that I did!

edit: Oh just Barrel night, I see.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I was thinking of buying a ticket to that but then I remembered that I'd have to take trains and buses back to Belmont at the end of the day. Considering I don't know what my alcohol limit is yet, I thought it might be a bad idea...
  • I have my ticket to PAX East 2011. Perhaps I'll even go to a Rym & Scott panel this time, rather than just hear how awesome Beyond D&D was.
  • After several failed attempts, I finally bought my fucking plane tickets. Fuck you JetBlue, fix your god damn website.
  • Anyone need another person to split their hotel room? I am open for a shared room.
  • Anyone else submitting panels? Deadline's this Sunday, the 19th!
  • Looks like everyone got panel confirmations and is posting them on the Twitters. Clearly we have advanced our circles in the past year.
  • Buying my tickets with Virgin Air today.
    Aren't they pretty pricey?
    Actually, no. $129 for direct flight each way. So it costs as much as Jet Blue but is SOOOO much fancier and nicer.
    Review of Virgin Air Economy Class
    Actually, no. $129 for direct flight each way. So it costs as much as Jet Blue but is SOOOO much fancier and nicer.
    Review of Virgin Air Economy Class
    I need to get tickets soon.
  • So I'm going to be driving out of the suburbs of PA on Thursday night and leaving Sunday night. Anyone need a ride? (I'd like to defray gas and parking costs somewhat). I have a pretty big car that should hold 3-4 people easily. and I have 2-3 spots open for the drive. (Laura is not coming) anyone along that is along the Philly to Boston route is cool for me to pick up along the way.
  • edited January 2011
    Saturday - 8:30 P.M – Merman Theatre

Hidden Value of Punching Trees: What Minecraft Reveals About Game Culture

Minecraft, the indie PC game designed by Markus Persson (aka. notch), recently became popularized this year. Minecraft is all about players creating castles, rollercoasters, and 1:1 scale copies of the Starship Enterprise out of blocks... but what does Minecraft uncover about today's gamers and game culture? Media scholar Alex Leavitt will look at the development and spread of Minecraft to explain the cultural implications behind why notch spends hours interacting with fans, how online forums are replacing outdated game manuals, and what value there is in the hundreds of thousands of YouTube videos that feature players building dilapidated forts. A panel for Minecraft newbies and seasoned tree-punching veterans alike.

I also proposed the following panel, which looks like it didn't make the cut:

One Game Per Lifetime: The Design, Ethics, & Future of Keeping You Hooked

What if you could only choose to play one video game for the rest of your life? Which game would you choose? Would you remain happy playing it? Come 2010, many companies with loyal players continue to develop one game for those loyalists to keep on playing years later. From Final Fantasy II to World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, this panel looks at the development of sequels, add-ons, downloadable content, and algorithmic evolution to explain a future (or possibly a present) where every gamer is hooked on one persistent title, because that's where their friends, memories, and bank accounts reside. What ever happened to new game design? What are the ethics of addictive games? And is the foreshadowed future of "gamification" a detrimental possibility?
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • edited January 2011
    I'll be attending your panel. I wish, though, that they would have let you run the second one as well. They both seem very interesting and engaging, particularly the latter.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I always get conflicted with going to PAX and being an Enforcer. I want to attend the cool panels, but I also want to Enforce. There are some really awesome ideas in the works for Tabletop, so I'm pretty excited to be Enforcing again.

I think maybe after this PAX East, I'll only Enforce for Prime, and hang out as a normal attendee at East.
  • Balance in life is never unwise.
  • hot damn I can't believe how fast it feels that PAX East is approaching.
  • Imagine how I feel. Less than a week after PAX EAST is the Humans Vs Zombeis game I'm running on campus.
  • "recently became popularized this year"? Good lawd. Edit yo shit.
  • Good lawd. Edit yo shit.
    It warms the cockles of my heart that, to this day, our Beyond Candyland panel description is one of the two examples by which all PAX panel descriptions are measured. ;^)
  • That IS pretty baller.