This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2011

Comments

• Good lawd. Edit yo shit.
    It warms the cockles of my heart that, to this day, ourBeyond Candylandpanel description is one of the two examples by which all PAX panel descriptions are measured. ;^)
    Are you guys doing any new panels this year?
  • Good lawd. Edit yo shit.
    It warms the cockles of my heart that, to this day, ourBeyond Candylandpanel description is one of the two examples by which all PAX panel descriptions are measured. ;^)
    Are you guys doing any new panels this year?
    Maybe.
  • Are you guys doing any new panels this year?
    Perhaps.
  • edited January 2011
    I just got the syllabuses for my classes. Nearly all of them have mid-terms/presentations during the week I was planning to be away for PAX East.

*Sigh* /____\ Well, at least I lucked out in holding off on buying my airfare.

Anybody wanna buy a 3 day badge?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Operation Hotel get is going to take place later this week, my badge is secure but need a place to sleep other then my car.
  • Wow, Enforcers are getting Photo ids. Now I gotta get a good headshot ^_^
    Yep, deadline is coming up. I need to take some pics!

I recently purchased my flight and am taking Jet Blue. Both are non-stop which is very nice and for a really good price as well. This will be my first time taking them. I hope they are as good as ScRym proclaims them to be.
  • Yea, also if you want to be an enforcer the application is up right now.
  • Oh, I might be at PAX East this year! Kind of last minute (since open reg started, I emailed PRD about reapplying), but I found a pretty good deal on Jetblue, and all I need to get now is a hotel room. Would anyone possibly want to split a room? It seems a waste, spending $150-200 per night by myself.
    Yep, deadline is coming up. I need to take some pics!
    Pic is sent and T-Shirt info too.
  • One thing I don't look forward to at PAX East: someone asking Gabe and Tycho about the whole "Dickwolves" incident. I really think it's a shame they felt pressured to take that merch down.
  • Jane McGonigal is the keynote speaker! This is such an awesome/unexpected choice, I am actually more excited for PAX East now then I had previous been.
  • edited January 2011
    Jane McGonigal is the keynote speaker! This is such an awesome/unexpected choice, I am actually more excited for PAX East now then I had previous been.
    That's an interesting for nickname* Wil Wheaton.

*EDIT: Herp derp derp
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • WHAT?! Fuck YES! She's going to be amazing.
    Wil Wheaton approved.
  • Hey, cool. I saw her book, 'Reality is Broken' on the shelves today, at the Borders I work at. Might pick it up with my employee discount (or, more likely, hit the library).

I might miss the keynote on account of Enforcing, but I should get the gist of it that way.
  • Every time I see the name, all I can see in my head is Professor McGonigal from Harry Potter.
  • Every time I see the name, all I can see in my head is Professor McGonigal from Harry Potter.
  • edited February 2011
    Every time I see the name, all I can see in my head is Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter.
    FTFY
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Got my room for PAX, plus can share the bed with one other person, send me info if you are interested.
  • So it looks like this whole Penny Arcade Dickwolves thing is dragging on even further:
    http://debacle.tumblr.com/
    http://expertologist.net/2011/01/30/done-with-penny-arcade/

There was a thread on NerdNYC yesterday now where basically everyone has written off Penny Arcade as unforgivable assholes. Am I the only person who does not see this whole Dickwolves thing as a big deal? I will still be going to PAX, still reading the strip, and still enjoying all that Penny Arcade produces because I feel they put out a quality product.

One of the major reasons this is becoming such a big issue again is that 4chan got a hold of this and people trolling the internet and hurling insults at rape survivors who are speaking out against PA. This is why something from 6 months ago is suddenly a hot topic again. It just makes me sick to see situations like this where someone makes an off-color joke, someone else overreacts, and then it turns into a shit storm where you have two sides that don't even know what the original argument is about (4Chan versus rape support groups), with good people caught in the middle (Penny Arcade).
  • There was a thread on NerdNYC yesterday now where basically everyone has written off Penny Arcade as unforgivable assholes.
    Anyone who's written them or PAX off won't affect them or PAX in any way, so I can't really care about their opinions. As Gabe implied recently (paraphrased), "there are plenty of people who will gladly take your place."

I don't think it's actually dragging on. A vocal minority has sand in various orifices, and no one would even notice them unless they went out looking.
  • Yeah I seriously could not believe people were discussing not going to PAX over an off-color joke taken a bit far. I would have done the same thing if I were Mike. Everyone laughs at the offensive humor until it offends them, then they are special and must be coddled.
  • A vocal minority has sand in various orifices, and no one would even notice them unless they went out looking.
    This is the feeling I'm getting. I see 10 to 12 angry bloggers bitching about PA. Gabe is right to be a dismissive prick; their accusations are not worthy of consideration.
  • Nobody complained about this strip.

And when that radio guy went against Penny Arcade, he got crushed. Everyone who has gone up against Penny Arcade has lost. Well, except maybe American Greetings, depending on your point of view.
  • Some people, particularly rape and other sexual abuse victims, reacted strongly to the image of being "raped to sleep" every night in the dickwolves comic.

I understand why you would find that particularly disturbing. However, saying that Gabe is "encouraging rape culture" is absolutely ridiculous.
  • I can't see what strip you're referring to since imgur is blocked at work, but this guy's blog post runs down a few past strips that seem much "worse".

What gave me pause was when I saw the Ad Freak post. While not a huge site it's not some rinky-dink personal blog like the rest that have taken up the controversy. It worried me that some larger outlet might pick it up and start piling on. Hopefully this does not happen. If it does, they'll probably still be fine, but I'd hate to have some sea of idiots wind up affecting some sort of change to something I love.

I think the biggest mistake PA has made is to give these complainers a voice by acknolwedging them. I was on the fence whether they should address the issue again or not. On one hand, there are some whackos (supposed fans) running around spouting true hate in the name of PA now (see the twitter posts accusing people of being fake rape victims). On the other hand, if they never mention it again, the whole thing may very well just go away. A policy of "don't feed the trolls" probably would have gone a long way.
  • I understand why you would find that particularly disturbing. However, saying that Gabe is "encouraging rape culture" is absolutely ridiculous.
    The funniest part was when that one timeline blogger accused him of having coded secret messages into his iTunes playlist during a recent ustream strip drawing.
  • I can't see what strip you're referring to since imgur is blocked at work, butthis guy's blog postruns down a few past strips that seem much "worse".
    It's the one where the AT&T; customer service robot rapes customers in their sleep.
    I think the biggest mistake PA has made is to give these complainers a voice by acknolwedging them.
    Truth.