This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2011

Comments

• Come on, the dickwolves t-shirt didn't really do anything to mellow the dialog...
    I agree, that this was a dick move.......... ........ ......
  • Come on, the dickwolves t-shirt didn't really do anything to mellow the dialog...
    I agree, that this was a dick move.......... ........ ......
    wow. I don't know whether to laugh or hit you for that.
    I think the real problem is not rape culture or any bs like that. It's that we have this neqt-instinctive reaction to certain words, regardless of the context. Ideas like rape, god (to an exent), etc. Are considered off bounds. Like Emily said, if you looked at the actual comic rather than just knee-jeking at the word rape, you'd realize that the PC in that case was being portrayed in a negative light. Then, a whole bunch of language crusaders jump on everyone who makes light of the word, the internet overreacts an here we are.

I'm not saying words shouldn't have power. They need power to have meaning. But they shouldn't have this much power.
  • wow. I don't know whether to laugh or hit you for that.
    I think the real problem is not rape culture or any bs like that. It's that we have this neqt-instinctive reaction to certain words, regardless of the context. Ideas like rape, god (to an exent), etc. Are considered off bounds. Like Emily said, if you looked at the actual comic rather than just knee-jeking at the word rape, you'd realize that the PC in that case was being portrayed in a negative light. Then, a whole bunch of language crusaders jump on everyone who makes light of the word, the internet overreacts an here we are.

I'm not saying words shouldn't have power. They need power to have meaning. But they shouldn't have this much power.
    I assume you want to hit me because I was being puny?

I have to agree with Andrew, if you were surprised at the outrage from just the comic (I was surprised myself it does strike me as trollish to then introduce a shirt..... on the same subject and then not understand why that would make more outrage...(though those "I survived the Dickwolf" Counter shirts are probably Double stupid)
  • Only because you cannot really expect to survive a full-on dickwolf assault. I mean, have you seen how many phalluses it can wield?

• "Rape culture" as a concept is not complete BS. However, in the context of the Penny Arcade strip, I am confused as to its relevance.
    It reminds me of Glenn Beck (I'm sorry to compare anyone to him) talking about "Machine of Death" as a sign of our "Death Culture." It's like...what?
  • edited February 2011
    I assume you want to hit me because I was being puny?
    Yes. It's a regular threat to my friend Will, who constantly makes such lame puns.
    "Rape culture" as a concept is not complete BS. However, in the context of the Penny Arcade strip, I am confused as to its relevance.
    It reminds me of Glenn Beck (I'm sorry to compare anyone to him) talking about "Machine of Death" as a sign of our "Death Culture." It's like...what?
    I worded that wrong. I don't mean that rape culture AS AN IDEA is invalid, but that rape culture AS AN IDEA PROMOTED BY THIS STRIP is.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • "Rape culture" as a concept is not complete BS. However, in the context of the Penny Arcade strip, I am confused as to its relevance.
    Can someone expand upon what "Rape Culture" exactly is?
  • Can someone expand upon what "Rape Culture" exactly is?
    I take it that it has something to do with the trivialization and gradual "OK'ing" of rape by certain circles. Like frat guys who think it's cool to get girls very very drunk and take advantage of them.

At least, I think that's what it is. If there's more to it, I dunno.
    See various African wars in recent memory. Rape is basically used as a weapon. It is also endemic in many areas.
    Can someone expand upon what "Rape Culture" exactly is?
    The culture of rapists. Just like geek culture is the culture of geeks and jewish culture is the culture of jews.
    Here yah go.
  • This is just an issue to those who would be offended. Like any non-politically-correct joke.

If the joke had been changed from

“Hero! Please take me with you! Release me from this hell unending! Every morning, we are roused by savage blows. Every night, we are raped to sleep by the dickwolves.”

to

“Hero! Please take me with you! Release me from this hell unending! Every morning, we are roused by savage blows. Every night, we are ODed to sleep by the drugwolves.”

then Mike would probably be the person to take offense in that situation.

I think that for most anti-"rape culture" proponents, the fact that "rape" is still casually used as a joke is the offensive part. It's the same annoyance that people have with young Americans using "gay," "fag," or "retarded" as derogatory terms. That rape was used here for such a large fan following -- in addition to a largely male audience -- was a ripe opportunity for criticism.

Of course they didn't mean it. But the equation can easily be picked apart and spun in favor of the opposition.

The real issue: that a sympathetic announcement wasn't made sooner.
  • Anyone happen to get the omeganaught call? They all went out last night.
  • edited February 2011
    The dickwolves thing is just silly. From what I can tell, and correct me if I am wrong, this is what happened:
    They made an insensitive joke and then people that were sensitive to the joke were offended (not unsurprisingly, and really not a big deal). PA put out a "rape is bad" strip. Rape survivors and feminist activists made angry blog posts. Fans of the comics and offended parties both trolled each other. Then PA started selling Dickwolves Shirts (a.k.a Team Rape Shirts), making money off their insensitive joke and the subsequent controversies/flame wars. Then offended parties were not only extra-offended, but they now had what could be a more legitimate claim to PA being overtly and actively offensive, rather than just making a joke that happened to have the word "rape" in it. Then the flame wars went crazy (including death threats) and the offending items were removed from sale. Then, some of the offended parties continued to be offended, claiming "too little, too late." PA, PAX, and PAX East will be largely unaffected, but this is like a big gross zit on PA image.
    Overall, it isn't that big of a problem. Will some people still be offended? Sure. Are they justified? That is really only for them to decide. To overly demonize either party is silly. When offensive (or potentially offensive) jokes are made (and then cashed in on), then some people will be offended. Whether they should be or shouldn't be is irrelevant, as is the controversy surrounding it.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is this:
    PAX/PAX East would welcome the very people that were upset by the comic/shirt/surrounding drama, to come and be a part of the convention and rather than accept the olive branch and also be a part of creating content/changing the tone of some of the content/changing the demographic of the con a bit, they are opting to equate PA/PAX/PAX East/PA fans with rapists/rapist sympathizers. That just seems counterproductive to their cause.

Also, anyone that owns a "dickwolf" shirt is, without a doubt, an asshole. So in a way, if they wear the shirt, they are just making it easier for people to identify them and avoid them.

In the end this is much ado about nothing, right?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on

• Also, anyone that owns a "dickwolf" shirt is, without a doubt, an asshole. So in a way, if they wear the shirt, they are just making it easier for people to identify them and avoid them.
    Note to Self: don't wear dickwolf shirt around Kate.

• Also, anyone that owns a "dickwolf" shirt is, without a doubt, an asshole. So in a way, if they wear the shirt, they are just making it easier for people to identify them and avoid them.
    I would have bought a Dickwolf shirt, but it was really not stylish at all.
  • I would have bought a Dickwolf shirt, but it was really not stylish at all.
    I wanted one until I saw the design. It wasn't really my thing, which was the only reason I didn't buy one.
    I wanted one until I saw the design. It wasn't really my thing, which was the only reason I didn't buy one.
    I thought it would have worked very well as a mock hockey jersey.
    I thought it would have worked very well as a mock hockey jersey.
    Me too, but nobody makes jerseys because they are very expensive.
  • Is anybody still available for convenient room-sharing/carpooling arrangements? I'd actually thought that the badges had been sold out recently, but now that registration is still open and PAX is conveniently timed for my spring break, I'm looking into last-minute arrangements.
  • edited February 2011
    I would have bought a Dickwolf shirt, but it was really not stylish at all.
    I never said you guys weren't assholes, and I actively call Scott R. "The Asshole with a Heart of Gold."
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • In case someone needs a hotel room I have 2 spots open if you want to take one of them, send me an email and I will tell you the details
  • Exactly 28 days (4 weeks) until PAX.

So far these are the games I'm bringing:

Dominion (w/ Seaside, Alchemy, & Prosperity expansions)
    Dixit
    Bananagrams
    Bohnanza
    Jungle Speed w/ expansion

Possibly brining:
    Marrakech
    Snow Tails
  • I'm probably going to bring Ascension and Bananagrams.
  • I'm probably going to bring Ascension and Bananagrams.
    Oh yeah Ascension. That's a good game.
  • I will be bringing RPG's with me. Danger Patrol, Old School Hack, possibly Lady Blackbird, and of course, Burning Wheel.
  • Looking forward to seeing you all there, I'm working main theater again this year.
  • Looking forward to seeing you all there, I'm working main theater again this year.
    Nice!
  • The only plans I am making are how to get there and get back. I'ma let everything else just coast.