This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive

edited September 2010 in Politics
So who's going to this?

Should we have a meet up?

Laura and I are going.

Rally to Restore Sanity

Comments

• I want to go to support it.

But, my going will not significantly affect the turnout. It would also be a giant pain in the arse to actually go, just to then stand outside and barely see/hear something that will be on the Internet the next day with a much better view. There also isn't anything else really going on that weekend, other than the fact that the highways and hotels will be mobbed.

ALSO, we're probably going to have a Halloween party in the City.

Thus, I'm not likely going.
  • edited September 2010
    It would also be a giant pain in the arse to actually go,
    Free Buses from New York City to DC to the rally and back

I'm actually just going for the day myself. (I have a party that night in Horsham)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'm going for sure. It's just a hop on the metro for me.
  • Halloween party in Albany with friends trumps going to DC just to stand around for a few hours. I've got shit to do, yo!
    Let's meet up, 'cause I'm definitely gonna do everything I can to go.
  • I'm trying to think of what kind of protest sign I want to bring I was thinking a front saying "Fact check your E-mails please" and the back say "You are entitled to your Opinions but not to the facts"
  • "You are entitled to your Opinions but not to the facts"
    Aww, you stole my idea...
  • RymRym
    edited September 2010
    Free Buses from New York City to DC to the rally and back
    Cool idea, but I've learned that in New York, "free" usually means "tens of thousands of people lined up for hours" for anything that occurs on a weekend or has broad appeal.
    Post edited by Rym on
    Let's meet up, 'cause I'm definitely gonna do everything I can to go.
    Cool. Gonna crash again too?
  • Something cool in my backyard, I'm definitely going.
  • edited September 2010
    The bus is also a fun place to meet interesting people

That being said I'd love to go, but I've got too much going on that weekend. Wootstock is coming to NYC on the 29th, and then there's the Halloween festivities.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I'd love to go but, being on the other side of the country and broke,I probably won't be able to make it.
  • Its a really good idea, but as I am in Seattle, there is little to no chance that I would have the resources and time to attend.
  • Its a really good idea, but as I am in Los Angeles, there is little to no chance that I would have the resources and time to attend.
  • Its a really good idea, but as I am in Seattle, there is little to no chance that I would have the resources and time to attend.
  • Sucks you guys don't live on the best coast.
  • edited September 2010
    Sucks you guys don't live on the best coast.
    Well maybe if you guys had a good technology job market, there'd be a reason to live there.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Its a really good idea, but as I hate freedom and America, there is little to no chance that I would have the resources and time to attend.
  • Sucks you guys don't live on the best coast.
    Well maybe if you guys had a good technology job market, there'd be a reason to live there.
    Yup no tech market here in DC or in NYC. Absolutely none at all.
  • Yup no tech market here in DC or in NYC. Absolutely none at all.
    Yeah. I don't get job offers weekly, and there certainly aren't recruiters constantly trying to snipe up everyone good...
  • We wanna go, Natalie and me that is. If it clashes with the Halloween party though, I'm not sure. :< Halloween's on Sunday, and this thing's on Saturday...

Either way, we have a car and a place to stay in the area. We definitely have the interest, and I think the only thing that'll stop us from going would be if our Halloween stuffs are on the same day.
  • edited September 2010
    Yup no tech market here in DC or in NYC. Absolutely none at all.
    Yeah. I don't get job offers weekly, and there certainly aren't recruiters constantly trying to snipe up everyone good...
    The majority of the East Coast tech market is driven by Wall Street or the DoD. That's why we ship all the hippies to West Coast.
    We wanna go, Natalie and me that is. If it clashes with the Halloween party though, I'm not sure. :< Halloween's on Sunday, and this thing's on Saturday...
    Well, we could organize an FRC halloween party in D.C....
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I think the reason that west coast people think there's no tech scene in NY is because in NY we're actually fiscally responsible. In Silicon Valley you can goof off and get a few million from VCs because they are gambling on you being the next Facebook or Google. In NY if you have no profits, you live on the street. In other words, there are plenty of tech jobs in NY. They just actually make you work 9-5, in an office, doing real work, for a real company that actually makes money.
  • They just actually make you work 9-5, in an office, doing real work, for a real company that actually makes money.
    I don't know what people expect. Silicon Valley crazy awesome work places are the exception, not the norm as far as I can tell.
    Its a really good idea, but as I am inLos Angeles, there is little to no chance that I would have the resources and time to attend.
    Check Facebook; the Rally/March has satellite events. Chicago has one in Grant Park, but I'll be too busy with Halloween festivities to go.
  • Agreed, that the Silicon Valley workspaces are not the norm but they do exist. Sure, they aren't mega-complexes like Google, but I've been to the offices at Meetup, Squarespace, Etsy, OMGPOP. Meetup is definitely the closest to a west coast internet culture workplace. Awesome culture, more crazy benefits than I can count, etc.
  • Agreed, that the Silicon Valley workspaces are not the norm but they do exist. Sure, they aren't mega-complexes like Google, but I've been to the offices at Meetup, Squarespace, Etsy, OMGPOP. Meetup is definitely the closest to a west coast internet culture workplace. Awesome culture, more crazy benefits than I can count, etc.
    I've been to Meetup offices as well. How much money are they making again?
  • I've been to Meetup offices as well. How much money are they making again?
    You east coast greed is clouding your judgement. :P
    I have no idea how much they are making or how much they are funded off of outside investment money, but they charge $19 friggin dollars per month to have a group and they have a LOT of groups. Their site approximates it at 79,000 groups so they are at least netting in the low millions when you add in advertising and sponsorship revenue. Goldman Sachs, they are not, but at least they've got themselves a business model.
    I have no idea how much they are making or how much they are funded off of outside investment money, but they charge $19 friggin dollars per month to have a group and they have a LOT of groups. Their site approximates it at 79,000 groups so they are at least netting in the low millions when you add in advertising and sponsorship revenue. Goldman Sachs, they are not, but at least they've got themselves a business model.
    I was not aware that they charged $19 a month to have a group. It's scary that people pay that much when you could easily get the same service elsewhere for free.