This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GameCrush

edited September 2010 in Flamewars
As some of you may already know (and as described here if you don't), a service called GameCrush has just gone live. They offer a site where users can pay (the figure quote in the article is $0.60 per minute) to be matched in video chat and then play games live with girls who have signed up to be "PlayDates." Apparently boys can also be PlayDates, but I'm not sure anyone really expects that side of the business to take off.

Since this touches on several topics that I know we're all interested in, as well as interesting social issues like the internetization of personal interaction and, to be blunt, prostitution, I'm curious what y'all think about it.

And no, I'm not publicizing it for them, nor in any way endorsing the service. I've had some friends make... impassioned comments, including one guy who actually yelled at them at PAX. I want to see how others react to the idea.

Comments

• I have no issue against prostitution.
  • I have no issue against prostitution.
    Though I do think this business is a little bit silly. The audience of lonely gamers that are willing to spend money to talk to girls on the internet are probably more likely to just go to a cam site where the girl gets naked and whatnot instead. Just being realistic here.
  • And thus, recluses of the English-speaking world come one step closer to their Japanese counterparts.
  • The audience of lonely gamers that are willing to spend money to talk to girls on the internet are probably more likely to just go to a cam site where the girl gets naked and whatnot instead. Just being realistic here.
    The article strongly suggests, though doesn't quite state openly, that these girls will probably do their share of that too. Whether it's to keep a guy online and paying longer or give them a competitive advantage, we can only speculate. :P
  • I don't see how this could possibly work. After all, there are no girls on the internet.

In all seriousness, though, I met a couple of the game crush girls at PAX and had a good long conversation with both of them.

I don't remember anything they said, but they were hot. Really Hot. And, even though I won't be using this service (have enough girl gamer friends to play with), that's why this service has a good chance of succeeding.