This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

8 bacon cheeseburgers in 8 days

Comments

• edited August 2013
    If his conclusion is press down very early or not at all, I think his research justifies that.
    Yes, his research justifies that. But he initially seemed to be trying to make the case that smashed was better. When he started talking about not smashed burgers, he went off on a tangent about the temperature of the skillet.
    using a properly heated skillet
    Fire or go home.
    Electric + Cast Iron + Time. I know it's not ideal, but I have to make do.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • On my grill I can configure it such that half of it is a flat griddle and the other half is a grill. Perhaps I will have some sort of burger comparison.

One burger on the fire, no smashing.
    One burger on the griddle, smashing.
    One burger smash on the griddle, then move it to the fire!
  • I'm usually opposed to a smashed burger, because then you get more of a chopped steak consistency. I always find that you have to alter your burger size depending on what type of bun you are using.
  • I'm a champion of using a scorching hot cast iron. I also have an electric range, but I can kick start the game by pre-heating the pan in the oven.
  • using a properly heated skillet
    Fire or go home.
    I've lit a lot of pork on fire in my lifetime. Let me tell you - fire has its time and place, but sometimes you just don't want to risk a porcine conflagration.
  • Funny how this thread would pop back up today and I just happen to get this in my email:
    Awesome burger recipes
  • I should try to bake hamburger buns.
  • I should try to bake hamburger buns.
    Upgrade to Pretzel Buns. But for regular ones...

• edited August 2013
    Science damn it, now I really want a burger!

While I have only skimmed the burger smashing article, I can confirm it is a valid form of burger prep. In my time at Disney as a cook, we used a clam shell grill and when the supers weren't around, we'd thaw some meat and lower the drop space on the grill and get amazing results.

I am a touch biased in that I prefer a thinner meat then thicker. I am a child of In'N'Out...

As to the whole "Skillet V. Fire" discussion, I actually prefer skillet. In my experience it's much easier to screw up on a fire than it is on skillet/electric grill. If I don't know the person making me my burger, I'll either take over or insist on a non-fire cooking solution.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Both kinds of burger are to my liking. It just needs to be well executed.
  • porcine conflagration
    The new metal band, featuring hits such as "Spiral-cut" and "Carbonize thy Flesh."
  • So I just tried smashing a burger on a cast iron skillet. I'm not terribly impressed, seems about the same to me. And as an aside, I still filled my kitchen with smoke. How do you sear anything in cast iron without filling the kitchen with smoke?
  • So I just tried smashing a burger on a cast iron skillet. I'm not terribly impressed, seems about the same to me. And as an aside, I still filled my kitchen with smoke. How do you sear anything in cast iron without filling the kitchen with smoke?
    I also can not figure this out. Anytime I do any cooking with significant heat there is tons of smoke.
  • Huge extractor fans.
  • Huge extractor fans.
  • Don't use olive oil.
  • I would assume you are not putting oil on a burger before you cook it... the fats in the meat should do the job on their own, shouldn't they?
  • Don't use olive oil.
    Unless you are making a minced lamb burger and you know what you're doing.

Olive oil is the best oil (except for sesame oil), but it has a stronger flavor and lower smokepoint than people realize. It's overused in cooking, especially for dishes with subtle flavors.
  • edited August 2013
    Relevant:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jan/13/extra-virginity-tom-mueller-review

I'm almost out of olive oil, and I don't know what to buy now.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Every popular food item has similar problems...
  • Also, realize that different olive oils have different smoke points. Extra virgin olive oil has an especially low smoke point.
  • edited August 2013
    Don't use olive oil.

Olive oil is the best oil (except for sesame oil), but it has a stronger flavor and lower smokepoint than people realize. It's overused in cooking, especially for dishes with subtle flavors.
    Also, if you're frying in it, you shouldn't use fancy extra virgin olive oil. The heat of frying will destroy the subtler flavor notes. Use a cheaper grade for frying. They may even be labeled as "for frying and sauteing."

In my case, I have a big jug of cheap, non-extra virgin Phllippo Berio olive oil that I use for when I fry or perform any other high-heat cooking with olive oil. However, I also have some pricier Saloio Portuguese olive oil that I basically use as a condiment, for making salad dressings, etc.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • People just need to learning about when to use all the different oils available. I rarely use olive oil for anything that requires higher heat than sauteing onions or other veggies.
  • People just need to learning about when to use all the different oils available. I rarely use olive oil for anything that requires higher heat than sauteing onions or other veggies.
    Same here. Canola (AKA rapeseed) oil is my go-to for a neutral flavored oil for high heat frying and similar applications. Even when I use the cheap olive oil, it's basically only for things like simple sauteing.
  • Don't use olive oil.
    I didn't, just a hot pan and meat.
    Don't use olive oil.

I actually was making a ground lamb burger, but I just threw it in the pan and let its own fat (of which there was plenty) lubricate things.

And I fry everything in olive oil because I like having that flavor on most things I eat. Part of being Greek I suppose. I just go for the cheap bulk olive oil, whatever that is, and don't think too much about the smoke point.
    I'm sure that while there is a difference, it's hardly noticeable to most people.

• What I did like was the simplicity of just rolling up a ball of meat, rather than taking the time to form a patty.
  • Have you seasoned your pan with a high smoke point oil?
    I use canola oil.
    I use canola oil.
    Been reading up on the subject, and a high smoke point oil might be the exact opposite of what is required for seasoning. Flax seed oil might be the best bet.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/