This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101006 - New 2010 Anime

2»

Comments

I lol'd.
    Yeah, me too.
  • edited October 2010
    The first time I saw Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt I thought: "Dexter's Laboratory with sex jokes". The art and animation style definitely was largely taken from nineties U.S. cartoons such as Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo or Powerpuff Girls. It definitely has that Hanna-Barbera aesthetic down and the thing I find most bizarre about the show is that all the sound effects they have encroaching into the artwork is rendered in english, rather than in katakana.

Arakawa is not about the girl, but rather about the guy. Arakawa is the name of the river they're living by, and I'm pretty sure you guys know that gawa/kawa means river in Japanese. The title's just a little bit engrish. Would work better if it was "Arakawa: Under the Bridge". It's mostly about a bunch of crazies living on a river bank and a "normal" guy being thrown right in the middle of it. You guys really should start with the first season. It's really great stuff, and by Studio SHAFT which is known for really outlandish animation. Perfect studio to animate this.

Also, Bakuman is not done. They recently passed the 100 chapter mark in japan, and the Death Note anime started after the manga was finished I believe. Also, I strongly doubt that Scott can read a volume of Bakuman in 25 minutes, with the walls of text and everything. It is a very text-centric manga. It still works as a manga though because of the hilarious expressions put on the faces by the artist. Obata also was the artist behind Hikaru no Go, which also had a very faithful anime adaptation.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Scott here is some Brazilian Culture, this movie is great, I posted about it before. I think it got no attention because it sounds like some cheesy Hollywood BS, but it's a great movie, it is a portrait of the corrupt Brazilian police force. It's a highly acclaimed movie around the world, it won the Goldener Bär in the Berlin Movie festival and it's based on true facts, so, I hope you enjoy. Elite Squad
  • I watched the first couple episodes of PSG... Your review does not do justice to the sheer amount of insanity Gainax seems to be pouring into this anime. It's like a train wreck, I can't stop watching. My only problem is I'd prefer if they stuck to the western style it has, or go fully anime style like they seem to interject periodically for, ostensibly, artistic effect. That's just annoying.