This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

To buy this x201t laptop now or wait?

edited October 2010 in Technology
ThinkPad X201 Tablet - 1 Year Depot Warranty
$2,700.00
$1,682.10
Processor
- Intel Core i7-640LM (2.13GHz, 4MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
Operating system
- Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64
- Windows XP Mode
Display
- 12.1" Multitouch WXGA LED Panel with Wide viewing Angle
Total memory
- 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Hard Drive
- 500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)
Integrated fingerprint reader
Camera, 2.0 MP
5 in 1 Media Card Reader and Modem
Bluetooth w/ antenna
1 Gigabit Ethernet (Standard)
ThinkPad X200 Tablet 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery

Additional Microsoft productivity software preload
- Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Eng excluding EU-EFTA

Subtotal: $2,709.00
Sale Price: $1,682.10
[USXOCTSAVINGS] -$168.21
Estimated total: $1,513.89*
Total savings $1,195.11

I want a tablet for when I go to gad school (either January or March). The x201t is the best speced tablet available and it's actually cheaper then the offerings from Fujitsu and Toshiba. The real question is whether to wait a few more months in hopes of further price-drops/updates or to just buy it now.

Comments

• What are you looking to use the tablet part for? If its just for basic surfing the internet and things like that you'd probably be better off just waiting until some good cheap android tablets come out. Or are you looking to use it for some sort of graphic design or 3d modeling?
  • Also, that tablet is multi-touch, which is good, but it's no Wacom replacement. If you want to do arts, it won't help you.
  • I will be using the tablet for note taking. The Lenovo has both a capacitive layer and an active digitizer with stylus input. It seems that you need to change the drivers to enable the pressure sensitivity in photoshop, but Microsoft applications get it out of the box, so my notes in OneNote will be as legible as they would be on paper.
  • I will be using the tablet for note taking.
    Typing is faster and more efficient than writing by orders of magnitude. You are better off saving your money and learning to type. If you already know how to type quickly, why would you possibly want to pay all that for a tablet for note taking? You can get a paper notebook and a scanner for a lot less money than a tablet. I say learn to type, an extremely important skill, and get a normal laptop.
  • Typing is faster and more efficient than writing by orders of magnitude. You are better off saving your money and learning to type. If you already know how to type quickly, why would you possibly want to pay all that for a tablet for note taking? You can get a paper notebook and a scanner for a lot less money than a tablet. I say learn to type, an extremely important skill, and get a normal laptop.
    Maybe he has to take notes in a standing position (without a table)? Might work better for him? I know I hate typing while standing and it's hard to type with one hand holding the object obviously.
  • I will be using the tablet for note taking.
    Typing is faster and more efficient than writing by orders of magnitude. You are better off saving your money and learning to type. If you already know how to type quickly, why would you possibly want to pay all that for a tablet for note taking? You can get a paper notebook and a scanner for a lot less money than a tablet. I say learn to type, an extremely important skill, and get a normal laptop.
    Go take some calculus notes on your laptop and let me know how that goes for you.
  • edited October 2010
    Go take some calculus notes on your laptop and let me know how that goes for you.
    Learn LaTeX or MathML, and you'll be just fine.

Also, paper and scanner.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2010
    Learn LaTeX or MathML, and you'll be just fine.
    Definitely. One of the number one skills you should learn if you are in a field related to math/science (this includes CS) is LaTeX.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • You want it and covers all your computer needs? you have the money? Then it's easy, buy it.
  • Type me a logic or network diagram. I can type, but I am a visual learner, I draw pictures to help me remember how things interact. While teaching I go between typing and drawing on my school computer (also a tablet, but not mine...so I won't use it for my personal grad school). I also need to write text at odd angles occasional to annotate drawings.
  • There is software to do logic and network diagrams, but it's no more efficient than drawing. Still, paper and scanner.

Also, even the fundamental idea of taking notes. I never took notes or "studied" in all my years of school.
  • When I do take notes (at meetings and such), I find it most efficient to jot them down on paper with a pen. If, after the meeting, they're of ANY use beyond immediate recall, I'd make a document or tasklist or diagram digitally.

Drawing notes on a tablet isn't quite at the technological level it needs to be at to be really useful or better than paper.
  • Also, even the fundamental idea of taking notes. I never took notes or "studied" in all my years of school.
    I would suggest you never tell people to do that because it is something that can get most people in serious shit.
  • Also, even the fundamental idea of taking notes. I never took notes or "studied" in all my years of school.
    I would suggest you never tell people to do that because it is something that can get most people in serious shit.
    If people can't self-identify their study habit requirements, or lack thereof, they deserve to be in serious shit.
  • I would suggest you never tell people to do that because it is something that can get most people in serious shit.
    I went to class and actually paid attention. I only did work outside of class if it was graded. That method allowed me to graduate from both high school and RIT. Some people need to do some studying, and some don't. That's just how it is.

It's just I see a lot of people who work way too hard and do a bunch of useless extra work for no reason. You only need Cs to graduate. Your GPA only matters if you want to get a few specific jobs, and it will be completely forgotten and ignored after your first job. It will never matter again in your entire life. That test you have on Friday seems really important when you're in school. In the grand scheme of your life, it's almost meaningless. The exceptions are if you want to get a PhD, become a doctor/lawyer. It also matters if you want to work at a really fancy place like R&D; at a big company, or the NSA or some shit. It can also matter if you have or need some scholarship moneys. Otherwise, don't waste your precious young years stressing out over bullshit. Just do the minimum necessary in school to achieve your goals, and spend the rest of your time having fun or working on things you actually care about.

If I had spent my time doing homework instead of dicking around with computers and games, where would I be today? I might have better grades, but I would probably actually be worse off.
  • You only need Cs to graduate.
    Unless you depend on financial aid which is given to you based on your GPA. The only reason my sister can keep attending her hella-expensive private school is because she gets good grades.
  • Unless you depend on financial aid which is given to you based on your GPA. The only reason my sister can keep attending her hella-expensive private school is because she gets good grades.
    It can also matter if you have or need some scholarship moneys.
    Reading is fun!
  • edited October 2010
    Unless you depend on financial aid which is given to you based on your GPA. The only reason my sister can keep attending her hella-expensive private school is because she gets good grades.
    It can also matter if you have or need some scholarship moneys.
    Reading is fun!
    Fuck me, I'm not sure how I missed that.

Well, I sort of do. Reading comprehension goes out the window when I'm actually worrying about something else as I read. I'll pause and think about that next time as part of my "stop saying stupid shit on the internet" resolution.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • In my case, my "scholarship" is my parents paying for university as long as I get a GPA of 3 or above. I have to get preferably one or two A's for any potential C's.
  • Or, instead of paper and scanner, just do paper + camera + EverNote. Its search function is amazing.
  • Well regardless of reasons not to get a tablet, I say you should get it now if you're going to buy that one. It looks plenty powerful enough and all that and who knows if it will get much cheaper anyway. Even if it is less in the future, you still will have had it for all that time until then.
  • Got into grad school and I'm starting my MS in Information Technology (with electives in Technology Education Integration) this Jan. I think I'm getting buying it this week at some point. I have an official quote on that price so I'm guaranteed that price for the next two weeks.
    Thanks for the input.