This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101012 - Boggle Boggle!

edited October 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, it's not bargling but Boggling as we bring some thoughts on word-games like Scrabble, Boggle, Probe, et al. In the news, SEGA wants to keep the bad old Sonic games off the shelves, and this past weekend was the Burning Convention: 10/10/10.

Download MP3

Comments

• Well did you know that Popcap has free online demos of some of their titles on their website. So I present to you Bookworm Adventures Demo.
  • Here's a similar style of game but due to Japanese's highly modular nature, it's all about making words by adding to other words.
  • As a Filipino person, It's Tagalog (Tah-gah-lowg). There is no language in the Philippines named "Filipino". :D
  • As a Filipino person, It's Tagalog (Tah-gah-lowg). There is no language in the Philippines named "Filipino". :D
    Technically there's no language in Germany called German.
    That's funny because I didn't notice that in the podcast, but it's pretty much Taglish now anyways. :P
  • Technically there's no language in Germany called German.
    Well, there's no country in Germany called Germany either.
  • Exactly my point.
  • edited October 2010
    Two thoughts on this podcast:

- My wife's family has the MOST ANNOYING Scrabble house rule. They somehow misread the rules ages ago to mean that all of the special point spaces count every single time a letter on top of them is used. They also don't understand that you should make optimal moves to win, and that under their disturbing rules set, the best thing to do is add 1 letter to all of the best words. The end result is a blob of tiles in the middle of the board, with an eventual stalemate where it takes so long to figure out your next move that everyone quits.

- If you guys want an interesting party game that is superior to Apples to Apples (I've never played Dixit but will be getting it for the wife as a Christmas gift), I suggest trying Yamodo: Party Time. Here's the short version of the rules: everyone is handed a sheet of paper. This sheet has a large area for drawing, and three lines for writing. The host (who will score the round) flips over a card, and reveals a complete giberish word. The player then have 60 seconds to craft a definition to said bullshit word, and then draw a picture illustrating it. Mix up the papers and judge scores their favorite one. Judge roll goes to the left and play another round. The game devolves into some of the most crude and hilarious humor you've ever seen in your life.

EDIT: Also, Hasbro put out a game called Scrabble Flash early in the year that is similar to what you were describing as a digitized Boggle. Players are given 5 LCD tiles and have to make the most words that they can out of them. Haven't actually played the game so I don't know exactly how it works but that's the gist.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • More Why people think Rym & Scott Are Gay content at the start.
    Technically there's no language in Germany called German.
    Deutsch? :)
  • Scrabble wouldn't work well in Japanese because the average word length is so much smaller than it is in English.
  • The best crossword puzzles are ones that actually include letters that almost spell a word, leading you off track. Having a random jumble of letters in a crossword puzzle just makes the words you're looking for seem obvious

I love the dramatic music while you guys looked up scrabble rules. Made me giggle a bit.
  • Boggle just got an update and was recently reviewed by Guru Larry, I think it is a cool idea.

So here is a review of Boggle Flash.
  • edited November 2010
    As a Filipino person, It's Tagalog (Tah-gah-lowg). There is no language in the Philippines named "Filipino". :D
    Rym and Scott, I am disappoint. You should know this because of my film school roommate.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Rym and Scott, I am disappoint. You should know this because of my film school roommate.
    We never discussed it with her. I don't beleve Tagalog ever game up in conversation. In fact, I had never heard the word spoken (only read it) until recently.
  • Well, maybe I am just getting confused, because I knew her parents spoke it and it came up in conversation from time to time. I guess you were not around as much and didn't hang out with her family.