This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DotA 2

Comments

• edited October 2012
    The transaction has been completed. I feel like I just had cyber intercourse.
    With yourself, you VentureJ(2).

Dusk of the First Key Giveaway. One key remains.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited October 2012
    Hey VentureJ(2), once you're done downloading, maybe you can play with me and Nine. I'm still teaching Nine since he barely ever plays and I got plenty of experience. I'm a pretty shitty teacher, but I can answer most questions that aren't too weirdly specific. I also don't get mad, unlike almost everyone else.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • On a related note: LoL has been a lot less dicky since they added the "Honor" system. Apparently "Gold Stars" have some effect.
  • So Valve made a MOBA with a good community. In every round I've played the game has been full of unnaturally friendly, helpful people. If there is a whiny asshole in the mix he is immediately called out, shouted down, and reported. Also, I find myself making interesting, important decisions throughout the round based on constant surveillence of the state of the game.

What I'm really getting at is that Rym and Scott are both completely full of shit. Nyah.
  • edited December 2012
    What I'm really getting at is that Rym and Scott are both completely full of shit. Nyah.
    Truth. I've been abused exactly once by a random player, and he was called out on his shit by pretty much everyone immediately.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • In what sense? The MOBA we lectured about endlessly as an example was HoN, not DotA2. There are many particular aspects of HoN as a MOBA that are different, encouraging bad behavior.
  • Been playing for a while, pretty entertaining game. Hit me up if someone wants to play.
  • I randomly got 2 keys today. I'll give to whoever wants. First two that ask I'll send and I'll be happy to help you out if you need. Also, add me to play anytime.

CU.IruuL
  • Christ, people still need invites? I've got 12, hit me up.
  • So Dota 2s this weeks patch will finally have tutorial. It's only first part of hopefully many to come, but at least it's something. I've been waiting for the tutorial to come for long time now because I'm quite interested of seeing how Valve will try to make the game and genre approachable for new players.
  • So Dota 2s this weeks patch will finally have tutorial. It's only first part of hopefully many to come, but at least it's something. I've been waiting for the tutorial to come for long time now because I'm quite interested of seeing how Valve will try to make the game and genre approachable for new players.
    I will follow this tutorial. Let me know when it is out out.
  • Really... a tutorial? game is intuitive enough if you have played a RTS before. If you need help, I can play a bot match with you peeps while on skype.
  • Really... a tutorial? game is intuitive enough if you have played a RTS before. If you need help, I can play a bot match with you peeps while on skype.
    I know how to control the guy. The tutorial I need is the one that teaches what all the items do and shit.
  • dotafire.com or dota2wiki.com look for your hero of choice, look at the item builds then read the descriptions. If you still have questions, you can play a match with someone that already plays the game and they can answer your questions. There are some good youtubes with the maths for the game, how to calculate evasion, dodge, agility buffs, real damage, magic damage, etc.
  • Or I'll just stick with games brought to me by the letter "N". Let me know when NOTA2 comes out.
  • Really, just play the game, buy the recommended items, you figure it out within 3 or 4 games.
  • Really, just play the game, buy the recommended items, you figure it out within 3 or 4 games.
    I've already played a lot more than 3-4 games. It still makes no sense.
  • edited February 2013
    Really, just play the game, buy the recommended items, you figure it out within 3 or 4 games.
    I've already played a lot more than 3-4 games. It still makes no sense.
    Yeah, that guess isn't a reasonable one; there is quite a lot to learn, and it's much harder without the guidance of an experienced player.

A human-guided tutorial is probably the best way to do it for now, unless the tutorial covers all of the important stuff. I think it can be reasonably achieved in a bot match if you can get people to spectate and guide you through it via voice chat.

I think a "learn DoTA 2" session with a bunch of forumites could be good fun. I haven't played it, but I'm experienced enough at League of Legends that I expect I could be of some help while learning plenty of things myself.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm up for one if you guys want to.
  • It needs the TF2 mentoring system.
  • I know how to control the guy. The tutorial I need is the one that teaches what all the items do and shit.
    That already exsists in the game. There is a tab in the main menu called "Learn" or something like that. There one can find information of all the heroes and all the items. Happy reading.

• I know how to control the guy. The tutorial I need is the one that teaches what all the items do and shit.
    That already exsists in the game. There is a tab in the main menu called "Learn" or something like that. There one can find information of all the heroes and all the items. Happy reading.
    That tab doesn't actually teach you how to play.

That tab doesn't actually teach you how to play.
    Ah, but if you look carefully what Scott wanted was to know what all the items do "and shit" and I'd argue that learn tab has that.

• The thing is, Scott doesn't even know what it is that he doesn't know.
    Exactly. I walk down a lane. I shoot bad guys. Somehow another player that wasn't even on screen kills me before I can even realize he's on my screen. I go to the item shop and there are 100 items all represented by the same exact icon that all boost different stats in different amounts. I get levels to boost my abilities, but the other players are already 10 levels higher than me. I use my fancy abilities at the wrong time, and they are not very effective. Then my team loses.
    Exactly. I walk down a lane. I shoot bad guys. Somehow another player that wasn't even on screen kills me before I can even realize he's on my screen. I go to the item shop and there are 100 items all represented by the same exact icon that all boost different stats in different amounts. I get levels to boost my abilities, but the other players are already 10 levels higher than me. I use my fancy abilities at the wrong time, and they are not very effective. Then my team loses.
    Dude... let's just play a game, vs bots, I really need to see this as I still can't understand what is so hard to figure out.

• edited June 2013
    Does anybody happen to have an extra Dota 2 invite? My Steam name is P_TOG, if we're not already friends.

EDIT: Whoop, got one from another friend!
    Post edited by P_TOG on
    Dude... let's just play a game, vs bots, I really need to see this as I still can't understand what is so hard to figure out.

If I'm dumb as fuck, and I can figure it out enough to hold my own, then I'm baffled that Scott can't get his shit together. I mean, sure, I fuck up sometimes, and some of the high-level stuff I don't always catch, but at least I know what's going on.