This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101018 - October Tech News Roundup

edited October 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, having skipped several smaller topics in recent memory, we cover them all in a tech news roundup! Oracle is being evil, Google has robot cars, Dutch hotels may soon be over-regulated, stores don't like it when smart people do smart things with technology, a survey is wrong about password safety, and Facebook implements one time passwords. Rym's also back on the sauce.

Download MP3

Comments

• That girl was really good with that ball.
  • All Bit.ly links work with j.mp which is for Northern Mariana Islands (which exists, apparently). Basically, you could replace any bit.ly/whateverwhatever link with j.jmp/whateverwhatever and that will work just fine, so a simple browser extension could fix any problem if Bit.ly lost their domain. Not the greatest solution, I admit, though it wouldn't be a disaster for non-morons.
  • All Bit.ly links work withj.mpwhich is for Northern Mariana Islands (which exists, apparently). Basically, you could replace any bit.ly/whateverwhatever link with j.jmp/whateverwhatever and that will work just fine, so a simple browser extension could fix any problem if Bit.ly lost their domain. Not the greatest solution, I admit, though it wouldn't be a disaster for non-morons.
    I prefer Arseh.at
  • Finally caught up with all the episodes.

Did anyone have the heart to tell Rym most aspirin pills contain caffeine?
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone have the heart to tell Rym most aspirin pills contain caffeine?
    No, most aspirin pills are just aspirin, including the ones I have. Caffeine is an active ingredient in many pain relievers, like Excedrin, and is noted on the label as such. Caffeine is known to enhance the effectiveness of aspirin, but is not present unless labeled.

I have plain unbuffered aspirin.

How would this even be an issue? Do people not read the labels of medication they consume?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2010
    How would this even be an issue? Do people not read the labels of medication they consume?
    Do people not know the religion of their own country's leader?

Also:
    Do people not read the labels of medication they consume?
    NO! Says the man in the Vatican! It is read by god!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Naproxen is where it's at yo.
  • edited October 2010
    And some people will take powerfully psychoactive drugs that they shouldn't even have in the same room as them without doing an ounce of research into the drug.
    < /bitter>
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Did anyone have the heart to tell Rym most aspirin pills contain caffeine?
    No, most aspirin pills are just aspirin, including the ones I have. Caffeine is an active ingredient in many pain relievers, like Excedrin, and is noted on the label as such. Caffeine is known to enhance the effectiveness of aspirin, but is not present unless labeled.

I have plain unbuffered aspirin.

I've met a non-insignificant number of people who don't realize that many pain relievers have caffeine, including the "Plain, unbuffered aspirin" that I buy (because it's 99 cents).
  • Naproxen is where it's at yo.
    Unless you're on it for so long your body starts reacting poorly to it. Back in 2001 my girlfriend blew out her knee. The doctor had her on a high dosage of Naproxen for several months during her knee scope surgery and recovery. By the end of it that stuff was starting to cause her to have ulcers in her stomach. She can't take it anymore because even the smallest OTC dosage will tear her gut up something fierce. That sucks for her, because that stuff is the bomb when it comes to knocking out pain and soreness.
    You'd be shocked by how many people just pick up the prescriptions that the doctors assign to them and don't question the possible side effects or drug interactions with any other medicines they're on. Why do you think the pharmacies use those huge databases that cross-match possible drug interactions with the patient's known scrips and known allergies? People are stupid when it comes to that stuff. Hell, most people don't even know the differences in the levels of effect of ibuprofen versus aspirin versus acetaminophen, even though all of them are NSAIDs.
  • doctors assign to them and don't question the possible side effects or drug interactions with any other medicines they're on
    That's a fuck-up on the part of the doctor. Every time I've ever been to a doctor, or even a dentist, they always ask what meds you are on. If they administer or prescribe something that conflicts, then they fucked up. Either that, or you neglected to tell the doctor, in which case it's your own damn fault.
  • Unless you're on it for so long your body starts reacting poorly to it. Back in 2001 my girlfriend blew out her knee. The doctor had her on a high dosage of Naproxen for several months during her knee scope surgery and recovery. By the end of it that stuff was starting to cause her to have ulcers in her stomach. She can't take it anymore because even the smallest OTC dosage will tear her gut up something fierce. That sucks for her, because that stuff is the bomb when it comes to knocking out pain and soreness.
    That sucks that her body reacted like that. I've been taking naproxen for couple years now to help with a pinched nerve I have and have no such issues.
  • That's a fuck-up on the part of the doctor. Every time I've ever been to a doctor, or even a dentist, they always ask what meds you are on. If they administer or prescribe something that conflicts, then they fucked up. Either that, or you neglected to tell the doctor, in which case it's your own damn fault.
    There is also the problem of doctors who don't actually think about what they're proscribing - for example, I've observed doctors proscribing Diazepam - Valium - to treat Severe depression, which they were told about. Guess one of the conditions that makes proscribing Diazepam - and most Benzos, in fact - a super big no-no?
  • edited October 2010
    The bit about comparison shopping in this show seemed off to me. Maybe you don't value local stores because you live in NYC, and local stores are eternally plentiful? NYC probably doesn't have a "Buy Local" campaign or equivalent.

Once upon a time there was a writeup about how the price of a cup of coffee from a coffee shop was a bargain. Included in the price were things like a place to sit, pleasant music, a light overhead for reading, newspapers for browsing, etc. If a local store isn't adding any value (tangible or intangible) to your purchase, then by all means switch to Amazon. If, on the other hand, the store gives you more than a product, consider shopping at the store. Maybe the local comic shop hosts 24-hour comic events, gaming tournaments, and celebrity signings that you enjoy. Or maybe politically you'd rather see more of your money stay in your local economy. Or maybe you don't like what the bargain retailer does with your money. If none of that matters to you, that's cool. But you pretty much dismissed those who have motivations other than financial maximization as ignorant in your podcast.

If there's a premium for shopping locally, you have to figure out if it's worth it to you. In some cases (Best Buy), it probably isn't. In others (comic shop), it might be.
    Post edited by bugmenot on
  • Maybe the local comic shop hosts 24-hour comic events, gaming tournaments, and celebrity signings that you enjoy.
    I am free to enjoy those things without buying anything from them. I can go to a signing without purchasing anything. Also, I really don't care about stuff like that. I almost never go to such events, and really don't care if they disappear. I go to conventions, and I have friends.
    Or maybe politically you'd rather see more of your money stay in your local economy.
    Also don't care. If anything the money needs to get as far away from here where there is a large concentration of rich people.
    If none of that matters to you, that's cool. But you pretty much dismissed those who have motivations other than financial maximization as ignorant in your podcast.
    You need to listen to our old episode of "it's not a charity". If you choose to pay more at a local comic shop instead of online, you're giving to charity. If I'm going to give to charity, I've got a lot better charities than local comic shop guy.
  • I went back and re-listened to this 'cast after I posted above, and I actually think I was arguing a different point than you were making in your discussion. I think the point was, "don't kick people out of your shop for comparison shopping by any means," with which I agree. But this is pretty interesting, too.
    Maybe the local comic shop hosts 24-hour comic events, gaming tournaments, and celebrity signings that you enjoy.
    I am free to enjoy those things without buying anything from them. I can go to a signing without purchasing anything. Also, I really don't care about stuff like that. I almost never go to such events, and really don't care if they disappear. I go to conventions, and I have friends.
    Okay, so the comic shop example isn't personally relevant to you. Bike shop? Bagel shop? Imagine that there's only one of these shops anywhere near you. That may be hard, given that NYC probably has a million of everything operating at a loss.

I also go to (fewer) conventions and have (fewer) friends. I haven't found conventions to be a substitute for anything, partly because attendance requires the ritual sacrifice of large amounts of money to some combination of Texaco/Southwest/Alamo/Ramada. That's probably different when you have half a dozen good friends with open couches in the right cities or 8 million neighbors that conventions wish to attract.
    Or maybe politically you'd rather see more of your money stay in your local economy.
    Also don't care. If anything the money needs to get as far away from here where there is a large concentration of rich people.
    Isn't there just a large concentration of people?
    If none of that matters to you, that's cool. But you pretty much dismissed those who have motivations other than financial maximization as ignorant in your podcast.
    You need to listen to our old episode of "it's not a charity". If you choose to pay more at a local comic shop instead of online, you're giving to charity. If I'm going to give to charity, I've got a lot better charities than local comic shop guy.
    I'll try to dig that episode up. I disagree with your argument, though, for at least two reasons:

1. If "paying more" equals "giving to charity", and giving to charity is a moral imperative, then is it also a moral imperative to buy only the cheapest iteration of a physical product so that you can maximize the wealth you have available for donation? If that's the case, is it morally irresponsible to buy an iPod over an Archos or Sandisk device?

2. It's always cheaper to sell things out of a warehouse than to maintain a retail space, right? So an online retailer will almost always have the best price, and it's always better to order online. I'm putting words in your mouth, but it seems like you're inclined to buy from whoever can give you the best price regardless of other factors. Taken to its logical conclusion, that means the elimination of local retail altogether. Frankly, I've lived in no-horse towns with zero retail, and it sucks. Especially if you want to buy clothes that fit.

On a side note, the Humble Indie Bundle guys had a great panel at PAX Prime, and one of the things they addressed was the intersection of pricing, charity, and piracy. John Graham (I think) suggested that it's so easy to pirate a game that actually buying it is really just a donation to the developer/publisher.

On another side note, why doesn't anyone do price matching for charity? Like, if you find a lower price, you can show the store the ad or web page and they'll donate the difference to charity.
  • and giving to charity is a moral imperative
    Our point in that episode is that charity is nice, and should be encouraged, but is NOT a moral imperative. In fact, if it were mandatory, that would sort of take all the meaning out of it, no? If you want to pay more at the local comic shop due to feelings of charity, that's fine. Great for you. Just don't tell me I'm a bad person for getting the uber discount online, because I don't do the same thing.

Also, the moral of the story is that you should live in a major city. New York being the optimal choice, of course.
  • and giving to charity is a moral imperative
    Our point in that episode is that charity is nice, and should be encouraged, but is NOT a moral imperative.
    Ah, I got the wrong impression. I wouldn't say it's a moral imperative, either.

Choosing a higher price still doesn't amount to charity, though, unless you discount all the other reasons to do business with one company over another.
    Also, the moral of the story is that you should live in a major city. New York being the optimal choice, of course.
    I just want your subways. Trains would make my commute so much better.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    Take my example of anime convention dealers' rooms. They're not local businesses, they contribute almost nothing, and they can't compete with Amazon. Why would I ever buy commodity anime from someone at a convention if all of those are true? Even the used book store I like in Wildwood draws me in solely for the fact that they're cheaper than Amazon.

Obviously, my situation is different from other peoples'. My only real point is that no business has any business attempting to prevent people from using extant information to make informed decisions. That is exactly what these used book sellers are doing in preventing people from scanning the ISBNs of books to see what they're worth. Comparison shopping is competition.

I do take factors other than price to heart in many purchasing decisions. Quality is one. Good labor practices are another. But when the same good has two different prices at two different stores, there is no reason in the world not to buy it from the cheaper store assuming all other factors are relatively equal. (For example, I avoid WalMart because I hate dealing with the people. I avoid shady bodegas because I'm wary of expired goods and food poisoning. I refused to shop at the Beacon Key Food because it smelled like a butt).

I am personally in a situation where physical stores have almost nothing to offer me. I do need physical spaces for gaming and social events, but few stores provide those without fairly direct compensation. Some examples from my life:

1. All consumer electronics: NewEgg/Amazon/Monoprice are cheaper than Best Buy or local stores, have better service, and ship cheaper than even local delivery. In many cases, the prices online are absurdly lower, to the point that you would have to be an idiot to buy anything at Best Buy unless you needed it right the fuck then. Local stores have no additional expertise or knowledge that isn't available online, and in many cases are woefully incompetent/misinformed.

2. Bicycle: Purchased locally because I wanted to try it out AND it was just as cheap as I could have gotten it online. I also continue to periodically acquire service for the bike locally, as I have neither the space nor the patience to perform my own maintenance anymore.

3. All new books and DVDs: Amazon is so much cheaper it's crazy. Case closed.

4. Board Games: The Compleat Strategist is OK (on par with Millenium), but it's too small to host large gaming events. The prices are OK, but the convenience of online ordering beats walking over there to buy something in person. I also buy board games infrequently (as I already own most of the good ones).

5. Groceries: Online groceries aren't actually that much more expensive than local grocery stores here, and the convenience is a factor of a billion.

6. Shoes: Zappos is way better than any shoe stores I've entered in my entire life. While I plan to buy a new pair of boots locally, I buy boots maybe once every 15 years or so.

I don't buy much else on a regular basis. The vast majority of the disposable income I spend is not on the purchasing of physical things, but on experiences (dinner, shows, other entertainment, travel, etc...). I probably spend more on dining out in a given month than I spend on DVDs in a year. I buy physical non-food things so rarely it's not even an issue. Malls are completely useless to me. My combined yearly purchases of non-food physical goods is probably low enough to not matter to the local economy at all.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • and in many cases are woefully incompetent/misinformed.
    Or worse, intentionally misleading. They might actually know that the ludicriously expensive cables and power strips are no different than the cheapest ones, but try to trick you into buying them anyway.
    but it's too small to host large gaming events.
    They have a basement, but I heard it costs money and it is hard to get the space.
  • While I like the experience of shopping at a cool store as much as anyone, I don't do it very often because it is a time luxury. Plus, with my weirdo geek interests, a lot of the stuff I want to buy would be hard to find in Cleveland (Arudinos, for example). With a little planning, I can have all the stuff I want to play with delivered at my door for a full weekend of geek nirvana from the good people at Amazon, Newegg and MakerSHED. Amazon Prime, FTW.
  • They have a basement, but I heard it costs money and it is hard to get the space.
    Yeah. Better off just using our apartments for small to moderate-sized private events.

Emily found a restaurant/coffee shop near us in Queens that is similarly sized to THINK Coffee, but quieter. Might be useful if we have the need.
  • Here in the Suburbs of Philly where stores are big enough and the space is cheap enough that gaming stores generally have a lot of space to use for events I have no trouble supporting a guy who wants to have a open board game night at his store 3 or 4 times a week. Since I don't have a local group that likes to play "Complex" or "Harder" board games. It is to my advantage to help support a guy who is at least trying to build a local community around the store.

(If fact to help Luke out, I convinced him if he bought a bunch of Burning wheel books I would buy his first set).
  • I still think local gaming stores outside of major cities should move toward a lounge/food business model. Rent games, with the option to buy. Rent large spaces for gaming events, have tables that are free for smaller groups.

Hell, cut a deal with Geek Chic and have an "uber roleplaying room" that can be rented by the hour, complete with stocked minifridge.

Monetize games and sell them, but shift the core business to basically being a gamer lounge.
  • I still think local gaming stores outside of major cities should move toward a lounge/food business model. Rent games, with the option to buy. Rent large spaces for gaming events, have tables that are free for smaller groups.
    This is kinda what the new game store near us does. While they don't rent games, they do have a large, open area of tables that you can come in and play a game, or paint your Warhammer minis, or whatever. They also rent X-Boxes for $5 an hour and sell snacks.
  • If you want to see how to run a comic shop properly, see James Sime, owner of Isotope comics.

http://isotopecomics.com/
  • I think robot cars would be fucking awesome, but I think we'd have to redesign roads in America for us to see long man trains of robot cars just zipping along.
  • Here in the Suburbs of Philly where stores are big enough and the space is cheap enough that gaming stores generally have a lot of space to use for events I have no trouble supporting a guy who wants to have a open board game night at his store 3 or 4 times a week. Since I don't have a local group that likes to play "Complex" or "Harder" board games. It is to my advantage to help support a guy who is at least trying to build a local community around the store.

(If fact to help Luke out, I convinced him if he bought a bunch of Burning wheel books I would buy his first set).
    I am about equally far from Philly as I am from New York (about an hour in either direction), so if you ever DO get a local group that likes to play more complex board games, let me know. Between my local friends and going to NerdNYC events I'm a happy gamer, but I'm always up for trying something new. There are no stores "around the corner" from me in my suburb, but ones 25-35 minutes away in every direction. Unfortunately they are very sad places, filled with body odor and Warhammer 40k.

Actually, depending on where you are relative to Philly I may be able to help you out. There is a guy, Kevin Schlabach, who runs the Seize Your Turn blog. He puts together gaming afternoons in the party rooms of local pubs & such during non-busy times. I haven't kept tabs on him b/c his events are 2+ hours from me and not worth it, but from what I remember they were successful.
  • The store I am referring to is 7th Dimension in Glenside.