This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WinAmp for Android

edited October 2010 in Technology
So it looks like WinAmp is coming out for Android. Is this the solution to Android's media playing suckage? We'll see.

Comments

• Is this the solution to Android's media playing suckage?
    Because the regular android music player is broken?
  • Because the regular android music player is broken?
    It may "work" in that it is capable of playing music and video, but from what I've seen of it, it's horrendously painful to actually use, sync, etc. The combination of winamp/winamp could actually maybe almost be as good as iPod/iTunes.
  • Winamp was always pretty solid. It was way ahead of its time back in the day, and had a certain elegance in playlist management (before database-driven methods came about).
  • So it looks like WinAmp is coming out for Android. Is this the solution to Android's media playing suckage? We'll see.
    Yes. Like, super-yes, so far, though I haven't gotten the wifi sync to work (could be due to RIT's enterprise wifi). But as far as the media player alone goes, I switched right away. The interface is WAY better than Music, Cubed, DoubleTwist, or anything else I've tried.
  • This could be pretty awesome. It still won't have the iTunes syncing niceness, but truthfully, I manually sync my iPod anyway. It'd be just as much effort to manually put stuff on my Droid.
  • I wait with baited breath.
  • I just use pandora most of the time...
    I was, but Pandora is playing fewer and fewer songs with more and more repeats of "Like a Boss" for me.
    I was, but Pandora is playing fewer and fewer songs with more and more repeats of "Like a Boss" for me.
    Also, Pandora burns through battery like thermite.
  • Also, Pandora burns through battery like thermite.
    Still an order of magnitude slower than how fast google nav eats it.
  • Also, Pandora burns through battery like thermite.
    Still an order of magnitude slower than how fast google nav eats it.
    Indeed. And why can one not simply turn on Car Mode? Why do we need a special dock?
  • Indeed. And why can one not simply turn on Car Mode? Why do we need a special dock?
    You can...Open the app "car home."
  • Indeed. And why can one not simply turn on Car Mode? Why do we need a special dock?
    I don't have that app...

Yet.
    I don't have that app...

Yet.
    Maybe because your phone didn't come with a dock?
  • I'm using the Winamp Beta on my phone and it is very cool. It works much faster and better than the built in player. It also offer lock screen integration, which is nice.
  • To turn this into a general "People listening to obvious ideas and doing them", Google Listen is pretty much ready for prime-time in my opinion.
  • Google Listen is pretty much ready for prime-time in my opinion.
    When the fuck did that happen? Cause I couldn't sync geeknights when I tried a few months ago.
  • edited December 2010
    Google Listen is pretty much ready for prime-time in my opinion.
    When the fuck did that happen? Cause I couldn't sync geeknights when I tried a few months ago.
    Must've been within the time between when you tried it and when I tried it. I was listening to geeknights over 3G, with nary a skip.

EDIT: Also, to get back to Winamp for Andorid for a sec, when WiFi syncing, it seems AutoFill doesn't work quite right (it attempts to basically sync everything, rather than a random assortment of your music).
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I've been using Winamp on my computers for many many years, and got the android app as soon as it came out. I really like it and it replaced DoubleTwist as my default music player pretty quickly. The wireless syncing is wonky at times but at least it's free (compared to the DoubleTwist alternative which is ~5 bucks if I remember correctly), and wireless sync isn't a dealbreaker for me. As far as syncing and stuff goes, it lets me sync playlists, which is all I care about; I prefer managing my music manually anyways.
  • Doesn't the Win in WinAmp stand for Windows?
  • Have you ever listened to Geeknights on anything other than an iPod?
  • Me? Yeah, in fact, I have never listened to GeekNights on an iPad ever. Don't even have one. (Not an iPhone either for that matter)