This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Audio Drama Show!

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
My friend and I were tossing the idea around of a Pokemon Audio Drama Show, and how fun it would be to put one together. The music would be fun to do, and it would be good voice acting practice if I play more than one character, I dig writing, and I feel I have cool ideas about pokemon. What could go wrong?

Well, nothing yet, but I have a few questions about what should be done with this.

In doing something like this, what would be a better format: Reading off a short story every week, or have it like a TV show with more sounds and no visuals?

What would be a good MIDI tool to use for the background music? I'd like one where I could edit and add new instruments, and export to MP3. I'm thinking GarageBand, but I'd prefer to house this all on my laptop so I don't have to go on the family computer.

Does anyone have any tips on voice acting? My idea right now is to have a basic animation of my character saying the same thing 2 or 3 times, with me in different voices.

Also, any general questions about this if you are intrigued are welcome. Helps me flesh out the stories and general setting/ideas in this Pokemon world.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    What would be a good MIDI tool to use for the background music? I'd like one where I could edit and add new instruments, and export to MP3. I'm thinking GarageBand, but I'd prefer to house this all on my laptop so I don't have to go on the family computer.
    There are better tools for editing midi, but Sony Acid Music Studio is pretty good. Even though I use Pro Tools because it works better with my keyboard, I used to use Acid a lot to make music. As did much of the artists from the 60-80's.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Cakewalk was pretty awesome. I wish I still had my "legit" copy.
  • edited October 2010
    I used to use Acid a lot to make music. As did much of the artists from the 60-80's.
    Hey-o!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2010
    Does anyone have any tips on voice acting? My idea right now is to have a basic animation of my character saying the same thing 2 or 3 times, with me in different voices.
    I have some Audio recording advice, but since I don't know how much experience you have with doing these sorts of things, here is a list of some general tips.

General Tips:
    • Record in a quiet, sound killing place, like an anechoic chamber. Alternatively, hang a bunch of comforters around where you're going to record.
    • Use a real audio editing program, like Sony Sound Forge or, my favorite, Adobe Audition.
    • Before you record any dialog, record about 20-30 seconds of just room noise. This way you have a good sample for the noise processing to use. And when you use the noise processing, don't set it too high. There are a lot of ambient noise tat match frequencies with the human vocal range. If you eliminate those, you'll be able to hear a marked degradation in the quality of the vocals. It'll start sounding like you compressed the ever loving fuck out of it.
    • Record your dialog in small, bite sized chunks. If you are reading from a script, Every one or two lines. If you're reading from material that require more of a flow, like an actual story, make a take for every paragraph.
    • Be mindful of your levels. You boost the volume if you are a little low, but you can't fix clipping. I would recommend you try to stay between -15 and -6 dB. Any higher and you risk clipping.
    • Normalize. Seriously.
    • Learn to use the various tools in the software like the compressor, the limiter, and the equalizer properly. You can remove much of what the noise remover missed with a combination of these tools. Which brings me to my next tip...
    • Don't forget about the effects rack! You don't have to make every effect a permanent revision to the source file. You put a lot of the effects on the effects rack where you can adjust them and turn them on or off at your discretion.
    That's all I can think of right now, but I'll put more if I remember more later.
  • edited October 2010
    As did much of the artists from the 60-80's.
    I'll check that out as soon as I get home. Rym, is cakewalk an midi editor?
    General Tips:

Record in a quiet, sound killing place, like an anechoic chamber. Alternatively, hang a bunch of comforters around where you're going to record.
    Use a real audio editing program, like Sony Sound Forge or, my favorite, Adobe Audition.
    Before you record any dialog, record about 20-30 seconds of just room noise. This way you have a good sample for the noise processing to use. And when you use the noise processing, don't set it too high. There are a lot of ambient noise tat match frequencies with the human vocal range. If you eliminate those, you'll be able to hear a marked degradation in the quality of the vocals. It'll start sounding like you compressed the ever loving fuck out of it.
    Record your dialog in small, bite sized chunks. If you are reading from a script, Every one or two lines. If you're reading from material that require more of a flow, like an actual story, make a take for every paragraph.
    Be mindful of your levels. You boost the volume if you are a little low, but you can't fix clipping. I would recommend you try to stay between -15 and -6 dB. Any higher and you risk clipping.
    Normalize. Seriously.
    Learn to use the various tools in the software like the compressor, the limiter, and the equalizer properly. You can remove much of what the noise remover missed with a combination of these tools. Which brings me to my next tip...
    Don't forget about the effects rack! You don't have to make every effect a permanent revision to the source file. You put a lot of the effects on the effects rack where you can adjust them and turn them on or off at your discretion.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'll put more if I remember more later.
    • So, would having walls of comforters around me work? Do they need to be thick?
    • I'm assuming Audacity is out the window, then?
    • Should I invest in a new microphone as well? Or with this tip will it be okay to use a step-up from my laptop mic?
    • I haven't decided really on this, but that's a good tip. How should I handle dialog if I was to do it in a paragraph form?
    • What do you mean by that? Like, that's where my voice should be, or am I missing something?
    • Can do.
    • Any tutorial series that would be helpful in that?
    • Ah, I think that's why Audacity would be out. :P
    Thanks for your help so far!
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • I am in like Flynn.
  • edited October 2010
    So, would having walls of comforters around me work? Do they need to be thick?
    The thicker the better. The idea is that you are going to be absorbing the sound. The end result should be a muting effect. You should be able to hear your voice clip a bit when you speak out loud.
    I'm assuming Audacity is out the window, then?
    Yes. You want a good multitrack editor, and Audacity doesn't have the chops.
    Should I invest in a new microphone as well? Or with this tip will it be okay to use a step-up from my laptop mic?
    Yes. Ideally, you'd have a setup like (or better than) the following: a USB Mixer and an SM57. However, I do all of my recording with a Blue Snowflake, which would work well enough for this project. Cheaper too. Actually, pretty much any USB Condenser Mic would work well, but check the reviews. Samson makes a good one that my dad uses, but the model eludes me at the moment. Like most models, actually.
    I haven't decided really on this, but that's a good tip. How should I handle dialog if I was to do it in a paragraph form?
    Depends on how much you feel comfortable with. You've gotta feel comfortable with the flow of your speech. Also, you don't want to run out of breath during a take, unless its for theatrical purposes. And you don't want to waste a lot of time to redo a take because of one flubbed word. It's complicated.
    What do you mean by that? Like, that's where my voice should be, or am I missing something?
    The recorded volume of your voice. This is something you'll understand once you start watching your VU meter while recording.
    Any tutorial series that would be helpful in that?
    I don't know. This is all stuff I learned on my own.
    Ah, I think that's why Audacity would be out. :P
    Yeeaah....

I'm totally shit talking, but I'll make a video tutorial at some point.
  • Even if it's shit talking, it's still nice to have the help, so thank you again. :)

So, I thought I'd update a bit instead of just wishing I could hug Sonic for being so nice.

As of right now, the first episode is half-way done. It uses the first episode of Pokemon as the base for it, while still doing my own thing. For instance, the main character won't be late, gets to the Professor's lab on time, but he becomes rivals with the Professor's grandson, who chooses the type-advantaged Pokemon just so he could win his first battle. Asshole.

The second episode, while using the second episode as my base, it will be more of a short-story. Basically reading a short story with funny voices and music and sound effects, whereas the first episode will basically be like the show with no visuals.

Writing this is very fun. Mostly because I can hear my voice as slightly more Ash-like when I read my dialog.
  • This makes me think that we, as a Forum, should come together to collaborate on a serious, adult-themed Pokemon Audio Drama (or Radio Play). I think if we all contributed voices for the project, it'd be a lot of fun. I'm sure we have plenty of writing/vocal talent to make something that's actually decent and worthwhile!
  • adult-themed
    Choose your words more carefully -_-;
  • adult-themed
    There's probably a joke in here about six Geodudes using Harden. I feel like there must be.
  • adult-themed
    "Adult oriented" may be better worded.
  • adult-themed
    "Straight-faced" and "dramatic" avoid those connotations entirely.
  • edited October 2010
    adult-themed
    "Straight-faced" and "dramatic" avoid those connotations entirely.
    Not enough zazz. You need to catch people's eye; use an adjective like "banging." "A hot banging adventure with Pokemon!"--That's fun for the whole family.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I could do pokemon voices. I do a spot-on Jigglypuff.
  • edited October 2010
    How concerned are we about a Nintendo lawsuit?

We could work out or own collect monsters world. It could have half-wolf-half-cobra and half-phoenix-half-stealth-bomber monsters in it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I can probably fill in for any additional voices you need.
  • If you need someone who can sound educated, I'm here.
    Would you like to be our Prof. Oak?
    I can probably fill in for any additional voices you need.
    If you would like to be in, when the script is finished I'll send you a copy. Or post it here. Either way, if there's a small part you'd like, you can have first picks.
    I could do pokemon voices. I do a spot-on Jigglypuff.
    That would be awesome. Pokemon noises are needed.

Also, would anyone know if there's a place to download sound effects? Crashes and hypnosis noises are needed so far.
  • I can make Pokemon noises for you, unless you want to illegally extract them from the games and anime.
  • Also, would anyone know if there's a place to download sound effects? Crashes and hypnosis noises are needed so far.
    Most sound effects libraries are burdened with royalty requirements. Make sure you find some Creative Commons stuffs, if you can.
  • edited October 2010
    Well fuck. You guys know what I meant, though.

Ultimately, by "Adult-Oriented", I was thinking that it could have a darker tone, like a Days of Ruin-esque apocalyptic setting in the Pokemon world.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I can make Pokemon noises for you, unless you want to illegally extract them from the games and anime.
    nah, I don't want to rip the audio. I think it would feel more authentic if most is homemade.
    Also, would anyone know if there's a place to download sound effects? Crashes and hypnosis noises are needed so far.
    Most sound effects libraries are burdened with royalty requirements. Make sure you find some Creative Commons stuffs, if you can.
    hmmm. Know of any good creative commons sound effect sites? I'll search when I get home this afternoon, but a start would be nice.
  • hmmm. Know of any good creative commons sound effect sites? I'll search when I get home this afternoon, but a start would be nice.
    I would just do the same Googling as you.
  • edited October 2010
    hmmm. Know of any good creative commons sound effect sites? I'll search when I get home this afternoon, but a start would be nice.
    I would just do the same Googling as you.
    Freesound.org
    Music: CCMixter.org, Newgrounds Audio, Jamendo

I'd be willing to do some voices for you as well. I'll post post a demo reel either tomorrow or day after.
  • I'd be willing to do some voices for you as well. I'll post post a demo reel either tomorrow or day after.
    awesome! I'm glad that you all are interested in this. I think as of right now we need a "Gary," but if there is any character you're interested in, do a demo of them.
  • I'd be willing to do some voices for you as well. I'll post post a demo reel either tomorrow or day after.
    awesome! I'm glad that you all are interested in this. I think as of right now we need a "Gary," but if there is any character you're interested in, do a demo of them.
    Oh manz, I always liked Gary. he was such an asshole but he was still more awesome than Ash.
    Oh manz, I always liked Gary. he was such an asshole but he was still more awesome than Ash.
    I take offense to that! I'm going to be Ash. :P
    If Churba can get me the name of that tree that kills you if you stand under it, I'm in.
  • edited October 2010
    If you need someone who can sound educated, I'm here.
    If Churba can get me the name of that tree that kills you if you stand under it, I'm in.
    Professor Death Tree and grandson Gary Death Tree.

Help Update: Would anyone like to watch the first episode to listen to the music, and find the game analogue? It would be helpful in finding MIDIs to edit. Also, to everyone helping so far, you will be credited in the end product in one way or another. I feel that the credits should be done at the end of the season or arc, like in Dr. Horrible.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on