This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mispronunciation of the day

edited September 2006 in GeekNights
It seems like every episode I notice a mispronunciation. Today's mispronunciation is courtesy of Scott. It was "tribunal."
The proper pronunciation can be found at:
Dictionary.com

To hear it, forward to 43:28 in the September 6, 2006 podcast. Enjoy!

Comments

• I noticed that too haha Silly Scott.
  • Yeah, I kind of always alternated between different pronunciations of that word. Now I'll keep just the one.
  • Yeah, I kind of always alternated between different pronunciations of that word
    I just the excuse all the fucking time.. Noone believes me ^_^
  • edited September 2006
    Wow! Today's (9/7/06) first mispronunciation came at only 2:58 into the show! Thanks Rym!
    The proper pronunciation for "bacillus" can be found here:
    Bacillus at dictionary.com

While not a mispronunciation, kudos to Scott for making up a word: "rationable." That can be found at 9:30 into the show. Even dictionary.com choked on this word. I suppose one could argue that it means "something able to be rationed," although that was not at all in keeping with the context of his statement.

Believe it or not... we have a second mispronunciation courtesy of Rym! This is at 18:40. Apparently, RYm believes that the word "wantonly" has something to do with a Chinese appetizer. He can be corrected here:
    dictionary.com

The mispronuncation hat-trick happened when Scott for mispronounced "gibbering." Hear the fun at 40:30. Learn here:
    dictionary.com

The sweet, sweet irony... this was all part of the show on how not to suck at public speaking! Awesome!
    Post edited by Kilarney on

• I just the excuse all the fucking time.. Noone believes me ^_^
    Wha?
  • Do we need a Mr. Pronounciation for the show?
  • I should state that I don't intend to keep this up much longer, if at all. I only started this thread as a response to Scrym's comment that poor spelling indicates a lack of general intelligence. All poor spelling indicates is a lack of spelling ability. Surely you guys did better in logic than your statement suggests! If you do believe your statement, then it must also apply to poor pronunciation, doesn't it? Hopefully you see my point.
  • Honestly, when I hear people mispronouncing words I tend to think that they just read a lot. Many up and coming geeks will read words in books long before they ever get the chance to hear them pronounced. For myself, I always knew how to pronounce "determined" as in "he was determined to win the race," but I used to think "determined" as in "look in the table to determine the result" was a different word pronounced with a long i.
  • The proper pronunciation for "bacillus" can be found here:
    The collective Pete and Lisa were cringing through that part I'm sure.. (while I also have the other science background in the crew I am known for my horrid mispronouncing of words Especially names!
  • Honestly, when I hear people mispronouncing words I tend to think that they just read a lot. Many up and coming geeks will read words in books long before they ever get the chance to hear them pronounced. For myself, I always knew how to pronounce "determined" as in "he was determined to win the race," but I used to think "determined" as in "look in the table to determine the result" was a different word pronounced with a long i.
    Agreed Symmetry. It actually wasn't until last week that I learned that diasporia wasn't pronounced dee-ah-spore-ah.
  • Honestly, when I hear people mispronouncing words I tend to think that they just read a lot.
    This is a very good point, and, at least among my friends, fairly common. We've gotten to the point that corrections don't even interrupt conversation anymore...someone just shouts it out, the speaker acknowledges the correction, and continues on. We all have extensive vocabularies, but have used surprising little of it in conversation.

This is just one more reason I hate the english language...in languages with a single phonetic structure (japanese and german come to mind, but there are many more examples), reading a word is sufficient to add it to both one's written and spoken vocabulary [note: in japanese, this is only entirely true if the word is rendered in kana]

In conclusion: english is stupid and hacked together, and should not be taken so seriously :-)
  • RymRym
    edited September 2006
    Simple phonetic structure removes a lot of information.
    Simpl fonetik struktur reemoovs a lot ov informashun.

In English, the structure of our words provides a great deal of secondary data that our brains use to more quickly process what we read. The extra letters give us clues as to the origins, meaning, and histories of words. They give otherwise similar words distinct symbol/shapes that can be processed as a unit, as opposed to more purely phonetic languages that must be processed sound-by-sound. They provide redundancy, which allows even garbled messages to be partially understood.

The complexity and redundancy of English spelling are some of the language's greatest strengths. Pronunciation is a definite drawback, but the benefits seem to outweigh.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Reminds me of how I heard that air traffic controllers in Quebec refuse to switch over to french when talking down the pilots because of all the shades of meaning and description they are afforded by English.
  • edited September 2006
    Today's mispronunciation comes at 18:00 - it's a simple little word: "asbestos." The only possible defense I can think of is that Rym thinks the word is spelled "asbestoes." Could this be the perfect storm of poor pronunciation and poor grammar? Who knows.
    The proper pronunciation can be found here.

There might be more, but I haven't been paying close attention.
  • Ok... Asbestos is a matter of emphasis only. I've worked with contractors during asbestos removals at IBM, and most people put the emphasis on the last syllable, pronouncing it with a long O. The only person I can recall ever having heard say it "asBEStus" instead of "asBESTOS" or some variant was a British (sounding) maintenance man I ran into at RIT one day in the tunnels.
  • edited September 2006
    Then those people would be wrong. I suspect the real story here is why you would be "running into" maintenance men in the tunnels of RIT.

Sadly, I spent all of last night preparing for a trial, so there will be no mispronunciation of the day for yesterday.
  • Well... my trial settled at the last minute, and I did have some time to listen to the podcast. Too bad for Scrym.

Today's word comes at 14:20. It is courtesy of Scott. A little word: "lure." What's even more embarassing is that Rym pronounced it correctly just before Scott managed to butcher it. Unless Scott has adopted an appalachia accent, he just plain blew it. The proper pronunciation can be found here. Enjoy!
  • edited September 2006
    I nominate Kilarney for Mr. Pronunciation.

[Edit] Sorry, it was compulsatory.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited September 2006
    As stated above, I was just doing this to make a point about a previous comment regarding spelling. I think this has pretty much run its course.
  • edited September 2006
    As state above, I was just doing this to make a point about a previous comment regarding spelling. I think this has pretty much run its course.
    I don't know, you got a fan service mention by R&S;, I think it's got legs, Mr. Pronunciation. :)

English is the open source language of the linguistic world. Words get added all the time as needed. It's highly structured and flexible too. English is teh awesome! It could certainly be worse, we could be speaking Mandarin where a word's meaning is dependent upon it's inflection.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2006
    I just started listening to last night's show, and I wanted to make one comment:
    Just because a lot of people mispronounce a word incorrectly, does not change the fact that the pronunciation is incorrect. It may mitigate the error, but it does not excuse the error. Period. Heck, If I know the correct pronunciation - you know it can't be that hard to figure out!
  • No obvious errors for the 9/13 podcast. I wasn't listening carefully, but I suspect that you guys are off the hook because Emily did most of the talking. Can somebody get Emily a pop filter?
  • We're working on that. She was actually using a broken microphone too... ^_^*

We're upgrading our equipment sometime shortly before the start of season two. We'll be getting better mics that shouldn't need external pop filters, and we'll have a setup much more conducive to having guests on the show. As anyone who's appeared with us can tell you, it's rather disorienting and difficult to be on GeekNights as a guest with our current setup.

We'll be getting better mics, a MUCH larger/more powerful mixer, and a better signal path, followed hopefully by hardware noise gates and a new computer.
  • Goddamnit Rym! The sound quality is perfect, there's no reason to spend money on any more microphones, mixers, and such unless it makes things easier for you.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2006
    We only have two real preamplified inputs on the mixer we're using currently, and the mics we have now are very annoying to make sound good. We need a much larger mixer in order to accomodate panels, multi-way interviews, conventions, and guests. Better microphones would mean less saturation close-up. They're also more durable and less prone to popping and interference.

We'll keep the old mics around and use them when we need to mic a lot of people, but we really need better equipment for ourselves. More than anything, I want a nice boom instead of having to lean over a table.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • We'll be getting better mics, a MUCH larger/more powerful mixer, and a better signal path, followed hopefully by hardware noise gates and a new computer.
    This is just to shut up that Otakon sound guy isn't it?
  • Just because a lot of people mispronounce a word incorrectly, does not change the fact that the pronunciation is incorrect.
    If it is a regional pronunciation it does. Different regions have different pronunciations, it doesn't mean that one is better than the other (except of course for the haitch thing, that is always wrong). Remember the potato, potato song. Wow that doesn't translate well to text.
  • If it is a regional pronunciation it does.
    Agreed. If this is the case, though, the dictionary should reflect various pronunciations. Since it does not for "asbestos," I suspect it is not a regional issue. Let's put it this way... I grew up in the same region and never heard that incorrect pronunciation.
  • edited September 2006
    Uh oh. Emily is gone and the boys revert to sucking ass. For geeks, Scrym seem to be rather pathetic at pronouncing scientific words. The word of the day for 9/14 is "trichinosis." Cut the phonetic crap, guys. That's first-grade English. The second syllable is pronounced "uh," as in "uh, you guys suck at proper pronunciation." Please consult dictionary.com.

To hear the fun, fast forward to 49:15. It should be noted that Scott's pronunciation was a valiant effort, albeit incorrect. Rym's wasn't even close, and was quite embarrassing.

Bonus word: Hear Rym butcher "consciousness" at 53:30.
  • edited September 2006
    Please note that I have a trip to Washington, DC next week. I doubt I'll be listening to the show. I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt. They charge $10 a day for the internet, and I'll be too busy to make that worthwhile. Can someone tell me how they can justify this when the Courtyard, Comfort Inn, etc charge $250 less per night and give free internet access?

So go ahead and butcher your words next week. I doubt I'll be there to catch it. If you guys are really lucky, this thread will sink too far over the next week for me to feel like digging it up.