This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Eisenberg or Cera

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
I thought this voting system was pretty hilarious.

I came out of the theater after seeing Scott Pilgrim with a smile on my face and a bounce in my step. The only change I would have made was switching out Cera for Eisenberg.

Comments

• It really is a toss up. Eisenberg gave us the Double Tap rule, while Cera did play Scott Pilgrim. I'm on the fence.
  • I don't even know who this Eisenberg is, but he's a jew, so I'm down.
  • I don't even know who this Eisenberg is, but he's a jew, so I'm down.
    Zombieland is worth watching.
  • It really is a toss up. Eisenberg gave us the Double Tap rule, while Cera did play Scott Pilgrim, and George Michael in Arrested Development.
  • Only watched 1 episode of Arrested Development so I really can't gauge my decision off of that.
  • I'm not a fan of Cera. He plays essential the same character in every film he is in. I haven't seen anything Eisenberg is in. But the animated film he is going to be in should be fun to watch.

• Man, it sure is hip to hate on Michael Cera. I hate Michael Cera too. Let's all sit around and talk about how much we hate Michael Cera and be hip together.
  • edited October 2010
    1. Zombieland is worth watching.

I have to agree. From the cover/poster, it looked like shite, but it was a surprisingly funny and entertaining movie. Well worth the $1.50 I paid to watch it in the theater.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I actually really like Micheal Cera. He knows the role he can fill and he fills it. Does he really have to do other things? Why does every actor have to have a wide breath of talent. I'd rather Cera stick to what he's good at then do something he's not.
  • I actually really like Micheal Cera.
    Ditto. There's nothing inherently wrong with a one-trick pony. Sure, they're only on my radar as long as I like that trick, but I still like the trick.
  • Only watched 1 episode of Arrested Development so I really can't gauge my decision off of that.
    I am shooting daggers at you this very moment. The entire series is on Netflix and Hulu keeps a lot of it in rotation. What are you waiting for? It's the best comedy ever to grace the television.
    I am shooting daggers at you this very moment. The entire series is onNetflixandHulukeeps a lot of it in rotation. What are you waiting for? It's the best comedy ever to grace the television.
    I know. It's been on the queue forever. I'm just not in the mood for it.

Plus rewatching True Blood takes precedence over such things. :P
  • I've seen Michael Cera in at least four things (Arrested Development, Juno, Superbad, and Scott Pilgrim), while Eisenberg in only Zombieland. That said, as others have said, Cera does tend to do only one thing, but he does do it very well. I've laughed much more at his awkwardness than anything Eisenberg did in Zombieland. So, for now, Cera it is.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    I find it really funny that nobody has mentioned The Social Network at all, when discussion about Jessie Eisenberg is being had. Is that not a good Eisenberg role?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Social what now? ;)
  • Seen only Scott Pilgrim from Cera and don't remember if I've seen other movies than Zombieland from Eisenberg.

Thus I can't really vote, because my fanboyism towards anything Scott Pilgrim would color my opinion. But I liked Ceras acting on Scott Pilgrim really much and I don't care if he tends to do similar things. How can it be that if Jackie Chan is "Asian Guy who does cool Kung-Fu stuff" in most of his movies no-one says anything, but when young hipster looking guy plays young hipster in most (all) of his movies, it's a bad thing?
  • I've seen Zombieland and Adventureland from Eisenberg, and I liked them both. I've seen Arrested Development, Scott Pilgrim, Juno, Superbad, and Youth in Revolt from Cera, and I loved all of them. While both of them are good actors, I think I like Cera more.

Also, if you haven't seen Youth in Revolt, I think it's one of Cera's best movies. He plays both an awkward teenager and that teenagers evil twin.
  • The odd thing is, a lot of people say Cera's roles are the same, and they are, if you reduce them to a few of each role's base elements, selecting for similarity.

I mean, every comparison I've seen is as valid as saying Scott and I are the same person, Since we're both white dudes, geeky, have iphones, speak english, and are both called Scott. As soon as you compare the roles in any sort of detailed fashion, they're usually different, but in a Subtler way they "HURR DURR, THEY'RE ALL GEEKY, AND STUFF!"
  • The odd thing is, a lot of people say Cera's roles are the same, and they are, if you reduce them to a few of each role's base elements, selecting for similarity.

I mean, every comparison I've seen is as valid as saying Scott and I are the same person, Since we're both white dudes, geeky, have iphones, speak english, and are both called Scott. As soon as you compare the roles in any sort of detailed fashion, they're usually different, but in a Subtler way they "HURR DURR, THEY'RE ALL GEEKY, AND STUFF!"
    I agree that this is a very easy conclusion you can jump to with any comparison. Take a lot of major actors and you can draw those same parrallels between their characters. Hell, I don't see much of a difference between Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception vs. Shutter Island (minus the twist, see I'm downselecting). Perhaps he's the same paranoid guy w/ visions in every movie?

I think most of the face-palming with regards to Cera came due to Year One. He had made a few good movies, doing what he is good at up to that point (Juno, Superbad, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist), and people were ready to see him really branch out. Instead, he shit in everyone's cereal by teaming up with a very tired Jack Black and pasting a caveman theme on a very poor version of his emo teen schtick.

Also, if you haven't seen Youth in Revolt, I think it's one of Cera's best movies. He plays both an awkward teenager and that teenagers evil twin.
    Then came Youth In Revolt, which is actually very good. Funny enough, this was filmed before any of his breakout roles like Juno or Superbad, but was shelved during the post-writers strike scheduling insanity. When it finally came out, he appeared to be reprising the same old role, but as stated above, he actually plays a much different character (the evil alter-ego) half the time, and does it quite well.

After all is said and done, I say screw the haters, Michael Cera is still a good guy. That being said, I like both actors, and actually prefer Jesse Eisenberg! To all the people who have never seen an Eisenberg film, you gotta watch at least 1. Zombieland is a fantastic movie. The Social Network is an incredibly well-made film if you ignore the complete bullshit geek-insulting storyline, and even his first major role Adventureland was an enjoyable film. (Random fact nobody cares about: oddly enough he grew up one town over from me in East Brunswick, NJ)
  • I think most of the face-palming with regards to Cera came due to Year One. He had made a few good movies, doing what he is good at up to that point (Juno, Superbad, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist), and people were ready to see him really branch out. Instead, he shit in everyone's cereal by teaming up with a very tired Jack Black and pasting a caveman theme on a very poor version of his emo teen schtick.
    That's true - He's a good actor, but fuck, Year one was a stinker.