This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Walking Dead (TV Show)

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
Just finished watching the pilot on AMC and DAMN! It was fantastic. Frank Darabont has really produced a top quality show and I can't wait to see the rest of the series. Who else has seen it? Thoughts?

Comments

• Copypasta from the comic thread:

I just finished the first episode of the AMC adaptation. I highly recommend it. There's gore, but it's television gore. Some people have complained Mad Men was a slow burn starting; this one was not. It jumps right into some very dark territory and rarely lets up. I've not read the comic, but the show certainly has character depth in spades already, and I feel compelled to find out what happens. I'm curious to know how much of a threat Lambert's zombie wife might prove to be in the future, whether Shane was tapping Rick's wife even before Rick got shot, how Rick will get out of that tank, how long it will take these zombies to decompose (usually only a couple of months for dead humans exposed to air), and whether the character listed on IMDB as "tank zombie" is the zombie we already saw in the tank, or something more Left 4 Dead-ish.

It occurs to me: Why are there no zombie horses, dogs, or cats?
  • just finished watching this show with a few of my friends, all I have to say is its a nice start. I wonder how long we can beat the dead zombie horse to death though
  • Is it the same as the comic?
  • Love the comic, will watch the show eventually, but it's not much of a priority.
    I have not read the comic, although I'm certainly compelled to seek it out because of the show.
    Torrent it and let me know. It might sell me on the comic. TPB has it already.
  • It's been on the torrents for a while, there was a leak.
  • I saw it with my mom. I've never read the comics, though now I want to. My mom thought it was awesome, and cannot wait 'til next Sunday to see more. I was very very impressed. Like, at the very beginning, when Nick was in the empty hospital. The silence made it for me. After that, I was totally behind this show a million percent.
  • If anyone is going to buy the comic, make sure you buy the compendium version, which is by far the least expensive option.

The Walking Dead: Compendium One

This book comes out in four formats. Individual comic issues every month, trade paperbacks every few months, hardcovers which contain two volumes of material, and the compendiums which contain four volumes of material. I made the mistake of getting the hardcovers before the compendium existed. It also may be available digitally legally, I'm just not sure about the details of that. It's also obviously available digitally illegally.
  • If you're thinking about buying the comic, be aware that it kinda starts to drag its feet (ha) after a few volumes.

Also be aware that while the line art is really smooth and pleasing in the first volume, it changes afterward and gets a lot less compelling.
  • Also be aware that while the line art is really smooth and pleasing in the first volume, it changes afterward and gets a lot less compelling.
    Yeah -- I bought the first hardcover, and I stopped reading it just after Tony Moore left the book. The new guy was not only a less appealing draftsman (which is not that big a deal), but a much less competent storyteller. Suddenly, everything got a lot harder to follow.
    Not really, there are some differences.
  • My local library has all of the soft cover volumes, so I read them all a few months ago. I'm not sure if my library is just fucking awesome (they are) but maybe yours is too. Check.
  • After reading the first issue of the comic, the show is far less abrupt, tells me more about Rick's personality, and gives far more atmosphere.
  • My local library has all of the soft cover volumes, so I read them all a few months ago. I'm not sure if my library is just fucking awesome (they are) but maybe yours is too. Check.
    Mine has most of them too, which is really surprising since my hometown has a population under 3000. I think the librarian just has really similar tastes to mine because they also have Buddha and other awesome non-underwear-pervert comics. Its definitely worth checking the library for.
  • edited November 2010
    So did anyone else watch this? Are you planning to watch tonight? I thought it was pretty darn good ESPECIALLY for a TV show on AMC (still confused how it got there and not HBO)

I don't have cable so it's waiting till it streams off there site.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited November 2010
    I don't have cable so it's waiting till it streams off there site.
    It's on Hulu. I saw it on there last night along with all of Rocky and Bullwinkle! I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few days...
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I don't have cable so it's waiting till it streams off there site.
    It's on Hulu. I saw it on there last night along withall of Rocky and Bullwinkle!I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few days...
    Wait - I know I might sound stupid here, but are you saying that TONIGHT's show is on Hulu already?

Another question - Does Hulu or any other online source have new Simpsons and Family Guy episodes so that I'm not chained to the TV tonight? Obviously, I'm talking the new episodes, not stuff from last season.
  • Wait - I know I might sound stupid here, but are you saying that TONIGHT's show is on Hulu already?
    No, I'm just saying that the Walking Dead is on Hulu.
  • Wait - I know I might sound stupid here, but are you saying that TONIGHT's show is on Hulu already?
    No, I'm just saying that the Walking Dead is on Hulu.
    Blast. I was hoping to be able to watch it sooner instead of later.
  • A solid second episode. Glad to see that the show's creators aren't afraid to push AMC's boundaries.
  • Started watching it tonight. Good show so far, well shot, especially the scene under the tank at the end of the pilot. Certainly going to keep at it. The only thing I didn't like so far was them shoehorning the rainbow of races and ethnicities into it. I'm not racist and all of them can be in there, but I find it just a little hard to believe that a group of survivors consisting of exactly a black woman, a white woman, a redneck white guy, an asian kid, a hispanic guy and a black guy would form spontaneously. It just seems so overt and deliberate in order to appeal to every possible viewer personally in one fashion or anothers.

However, they aren't taking beating around the bush otherwise though.
  • Give it a minute. It's not as shoehorny as it looks in the first episode.
  • edited November 2010
    Give it a minute. It's not as shoehorny as it looks in the first episode.
    I'm talking it about 2nd episode though. Watching it right now. I'll see where it ends. It is unlikely that everybody gets outta there alive.

Then again, we have to assume also somewhat of an idiot plot though. At least the main character doesn't know the first thing about survival in the Zombie Apocalypse, e.g. avoid big cities. More people = more zombies. Justified though, since he was assuming his wife and kid were at the CDC there.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited November 2010
    Woops, yeah, I actually meant the second episode -- I forgot that's where he meets the group of survivors.

Also, tangentially, I guess in almost every piece of zombie fiction, this is a universe in which George Romero never existed and no one has ever heard of a zombie.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited November 2010
    Also, tangentially, I guess in almost every piece of zombie fiction, this is a universe in which George Romero never existed and no one has ever heard of a zombie.
    Doesn't help though that all Zombie survival skills can be logically deduced from "they bite people, those people die, get back up and go about biting more people". It's like a highly contagious disease, and the first rule for that is avoid areas where it could easily be spread or may have already overrun the same area, e.g. crowded/densely populated areas.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Doesn't help though that all Zombie survival skills can be logically deduced from "they bite people, those people die, get back up and go about biting more people". It's like a highly contagious disease, and the first rule for that is avoid areas where it could easily be spread or may have already overrun the same area, e.g. crowded/densely populated areas.
    At the same time you always hope the military is able to handle the threat and your always mistaken.
  • I re-listened to Rym and Scotts review of the first two hardcovers from way back in 2007 today. It was really funny when you guys said something to the extend of "This looks like the storyboard for one of those hour-long HBO dramas, like they could adapt it one-for-one and it would probably do pretty well." Spoiler warning for anybody going back to that episode.
  • Spoiler warning for anybody going back to that episode.
    lol, was this tongue-in-cheek or are we at the point where people worry about spoiling podcasts?
  • Spoiler warning for anybody going back to that episode.
    lol, was this tongue-in-cheek or are we at the point where people worry about spoiling podcasts?
    I meant that there are spoilers about the comic book and probably the TV series in the episode of the podcast I was referring to.