This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

USA Election Night 2010 Discussion

edited November 2010 in Politics
Figured since a lot of us are into politics, we can put all of our election discussion in this thread instead of scattered across the Fail/Booh-Yah threads.

Boo-yah of my election night: (CNN projects) Christine O'Donnell loses!

Comments

• Christine O'Donnell loses!
    "I'm not a winner, I'm you."
  • Christine O'Donnell loses!
    The spells she cast didn't work!
  • Reporting here doesn't start for another 2 hours =/
  • edited November 2010
    Boo-yah of my election night:(CNN projects)Christine O'Donnell loses!
    I'm worried that a lot of crazy "moderates" (that is, people who say they're moderate but who are really bat-shit crazy conservatives) came out today. Case in point: Rand Paul in KY.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited November 2010
    It's kinda weird to think of a civilised country going to illegal abortions after not having them for so long. I think it was Ireland where they had to legalize them but (Again, just vauge memory.) it had been on the books for quite a while.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • GO SESTAK!
  • Very happy to see Rand Paul win. How can you not like someone who says his first action will be to force a balanced budget achieved through cutting spending, and is willing to compromise and meet democrats halfway by cutting programs traditional GOPers would never give in on.
  • edited November 2010
    Cuomo obliterated Paladino. No surprise there.
    Gillibrand and Schumer also won.
    Looks like a national number is swinging to the right (no surprise) in congress, but it's too close to tell in the senate.
    NY State is also up in the air at the moment.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • So, do you think Obama will genuinely try to work with Republicans as Bill Clinton did after 1994 or not?
  • NY State is also up in the air at the moment.
    Much like it has been for the past couple of years.
    So, do you think Obama will genuinely try to work with Republicans as Bill Clinton did after 1994 or not?
    Pfft.
  • So, do you think Obama will genuinely try to work with Republicans as Bill Clinton did after 1994 or not?
    Shouldn't it be the other way around? Do you think the Republicans will genuinely work together with the Dems and the White House and not filibuster the crap out of everything?
    Shouldn't it be the other way around? Do you think the Republicans will genuinely work together with the Dems and the White House and not filibuster the crap out of everything?
    They are projected to take the House. They won't need to filibuster.
  • edited November 2010
    Republicans were successful because they were so uncooperative that they could blame failures on the Administration that they will be even more of the "No Party" the next two years leading up to the Presidential election. Expect to see more of the same gridlock as before, if not more.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Republicans were successful because they were so uncooperative that they could blame failures on the Administration that they will be even more of the "No Party" the next two years leading up to the Presidential election. Expect to see more of the same gridlock as before, if not more.
    Don't count on that. If they do that they will lose the house in 2012.

I expect them to put forth legislation that works towards balancing the budget and getting the economy back on track. Anything less will have them out on their assess in two years.
  • Don't count on that.
    I'll take it to the bank. Republican's won't do shit and blame it on Obama.
  • Very happy to see Rand Paul win. How can you not like someone who says his first action will be to force a balanced budget achieved through cutting spending, and is willing to compromise and meet democrats halfway by cutting programs traditional GOPers would never give in on.
    Because he's a racist nut job?
    Because he's a racist nut job?
    Seriously? Even if he were a racist, or a nutjob, I'm perfectly cool with someone having crazy ass views when their primary view is "I will not support unconstitutional legislation" and also has strong beliefs on individual rights. For instance, you can be anti-abortion personally, yet not believe it's the governments job to stop other people from having them. Get off your fucking high horse.
  • Seriously? Even if he were a racist, or a nutjob, I'm perfectly cool with someone having crazy ass views when their primary view is "I will not support unconstitutional legislation" and also has strong beliefs on individual rights. For instance, you can be anti-abortion personally, yet not believe it's the governments job to stop other people from having them. Get off your fucking high horse.
    I also agree with and support ideals of individual rights and less government and such. The reality is that the overwhelming majority of the politicians who push for less government only want to do it so that they can tread on minority rights. Practicality over philosophy.
  • I sit here, wearing my beret, drinking my green/raspberry tea blend, listening to my french Bossa Nova, a take solice in the fact that I have performed my civic duty.
  • Rand Paul is a fucking nutter, man.

- Child labor? Maybe it's not so bad! "Because sometimes in really poor families, kids just have to pitch in."
    - Redress in court? Hope you're not poor! "Yeah, those things just get so jammed — everybody playing the blame game. I mean, sometimes mines just collapse, you know? Nobody's fault. I think it's called gravity."
    - Concentrations of corporate power getting so big they overwhelm the government itself? "I mean, they must be doing something right, you know?"
    - Restaurants that only want to serve people who trace their ancestry to northern Europe? "I mean, if you don't trace your ancestry to northern Europe and you're really hungry, if you ask nicely, maybe they'll let you come in. I mean, these are things we can solve without laws and stuff."

I don't know, maybe the guy just shoots his mouth off thoughtlessly at inopportune times, but frankly so far he has absolutely no policy record or experience to judge by, and he has indicated repeatedly by his own words that he's naive, ignorant, and if not racist, then at least completely unaware of the factors that make race such a complicated issue in America.

I guess we'll see, though. He's in the fucking Senate now. I guess his daddy hasn't done too much harm in Congress since he pretty much always disagrees with everyone, so maybe Rand will be the same.

(But seriously... Rand? Fuck you, Ron Paul. Fuck you and your hero worship of a bipolar narcissist.)
  • But anyway, while Rand Paul won, at least we can hope he'll be relatively harmless, and we can take a whole lot of comfort in the fact that Christine O'Donnell lost. Hard.
  • I just returned from covering an election watch party for the newspaper. An $11 million library building bond issue failed. The major school issue we were following failed. Community college levy passed, children services levy passed. We had expected public support for financial issues to be extremely negative, but they were fairly evenly mixed. Public reception of the results has been apathetic. I've been Faceooking them to readers with little to no response.
  • "GOP Seizes Control of House".

Ugh. This is gonna be a fun 2 years.
  • Sorry to my brothers in Wisconsin, as Feingold just conceded against Tea Party member Ron Johnson...
  • Early report from the newswire:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democrats lost Senate seats in at least five states Tuesday, but were guaranteed to keep the majority thanks to wins in California and West Virginia.

Republicans scored big wins, taking Senate seats from Democrats in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arkansas, North Dakota and Indiana. The net gain of 10 they needed for control of the chamber, however, eluded them.

With Republicans taking over the House, President Barack Obama will need a Democratic-run Senate to champion his legislative agenda.
  • It's seems that the Dems still have the Senate, but we shall see.

I'm watching the Murray vs. Rossi race right now, clicking F5 every few seconds. This is Rossi's third time trying for the big elections. He tried the governorship twice vs. Gregoire and barely lost.

I really hope that the third time is not the charm.
  • I'm F5ing Prop 19 (supporter, not a smoker). It's not looking good.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm F5ing Prop 19 (supporter, not a smoker). It's not looking good.
    Polls only closed an hour ago. Less than 15% have reported, it's way too early to say that. Besides, it's all about LA and SF. The rest of California tends to be more conservative, but the sheer number of people in the cities are what tip the scale for being a blue state.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • We all wait with baited breath.
  • edited November 2010
    According to the BBC counter, conservatives just passed the majority mark in the house. Liberals also just crossed the mark for the senate.

So is it ok for the democrats to fillibuster now?
    Post edited by Omnutia on