This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

USA Election Night 2010 Discussion

12346»

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I just realized why we don't have internet voting yet. It's to keep the young voter turn out low. If they had internet voting we would crush the old people.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited November 2010
    I just realized why why don't have internet voting yet. It's to keep the young voter turn out low. If they had internet voting we would crush the old people.
    True. The problem is that, for most people over a certain age, the internet seems much more untrustworthy than a physical machine. There would be huge hack-fear. What if the king of England hacked into our innertubes and threw the election to Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin just to see us suffer?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • True. The problem is that, for most people over a certain age, the internet seems much more untrustworthy than a physical machine. There would be huge hack-fear. What if the king of England hacked into our innertubes and threw the election to Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin just to see us suffer?
    That's fine. No foreign government is going to exploit the system better than 4chan, and the result 4chan wants is very likely the result we also want. That is to say, write-ins for nerds in every district.
  • edited November 2010
    True. The problem is that, for most people over a certain age, the internet seems much more untrustworthy than a physical machine. There would be huge hack-fear. What if the king of England hacked into our innertubes and threw the election to Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin just to see us suffer?
    That's fine. No foreign government is going to exploit the system better than 4chan, and the result 4chan wants is very likely the result we also want. That is to say, write-ins for nerds in every district.
    Prediction: Mario - POTUS, Wario - VPOTUS.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Patty Murray won in Washington again! I wonder if Dino Rossi is going to run vs. Cantwell in 2012. It seems that the Repubs have him as the only possible candidate. Maybe 4th time is the charm for him. (I really hope not.)
  • Prediction: Mario - POTUS, Wario - VPOTUS.
    Perfect. Gotta clean up all the goombas and koopas in congress.
  • Now I've got the image of Obama wearing Mario's cap and bouncing on the heads of the assembled congress members...
  • edited November 2010
    Speaking of which:
    Apparently this was a real ad created by Carl Paladino's camp against Andrew Cuomo. However I don't see how this would get me to vote against the man in a Mario suit...
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Apparently this was a real ad created by Carl Paladino's camp against Andrew Cuomo.
    But it's a positive ad...
  • You know what I really didn't miss not seeing this year? Campaign ads.
  • didn't miss not seeing
    Aaargh
  • That made sense to me for some reason.

• Apparently this was a real ad created by Carl Paladino's camp against Andrew Cuomo. However I don't see how this would get me to voteagainstthe man in a Mario suit...
    Cuomo has 30 years of experience! I don't! Vote for me! Also, video games rot your brain or something! Yeah!

Somehow it fits the awkward way that Paladino addressed some issues. Did you hear how he recounted his witnessing of a gay pride parade?
  • Speaking of which:
    Apparently this was a real ad created by Carl Paladino's camp against Andrew Cuomo. However I don't see how this would get me to voteagainstthe man in a Mario suit...
    IP infringement lawsuit from Nintendo in 3, 2, 1....
  • Wasn't pot legal in Alaska until the 90's?
  • [Wiseass prop-19 graph]
    Cute, but the fact is, prop 19 got 46% of the vote -- in a midterm election, with a low young:old voter ratio turning out, and with legitimate concerns about the language of the bill. I can almost guarantee that legalization passes in CA in 2012.
  • Cute, but blah blah blah, I feel the need to comment on what was obviously a joke.
    ^_^

I jest, I jest. ~_^

• I jest, I jest. ~_^
    I know, I know. :) It does illustrate the fact that more people need to register and vote. But it was surprisingly close.
  • There is a very good reason why Prop 19 failed, and it has little to do with demographics and voter turnout. 19 led in the polls very consistently in the months leading up to the election, with a clear and not insignificant majority. Then, at the last moment, ads were aired by the opposition that heavily implied that legalization would lead to people getting high while on the road, ad on the job. A lot of voters actually believed that people would actually be permitted to use marijuana while driving and working. This is obviously preposterous, as anybody who shows up drunk to work is going to get the shaft rather quickly, and I doubt marijuana would be treated any differently by employers. The same is true of smoking while driving, anybody who drives while high is considered to be intoxicated, and will be charged with DUI.
    Almost immediately, the poll numbers plummeted. In internal polling, it was determined that this new ad campaign was the cause.

The California chamber of commerce is to blame, for putting out patently and provably false information to the public.
  • this new ad campaign was the cause.
    I'm highly skeptical. seewhatididthere.jpeg