This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Thundercats

13»

Comments

• Mumm-ra is voiced by the guy who voiced the Medic in TF2. Now that scene just became a million times more hilarious.
  • I am hooked.
  • Those clerics were the best part of the show. They were so fast.
    Cheetara was the most obvious cleric ever.
    Cheetara was the most obvious cleric ever.
    She was such a cleric!
  • By the way, was it just me, or did it sound like Lion-o's father was voiced by the guy who played Lion-o in the original cartoon?
  • By the way, was it just me, or did it sound like Lion-o's father was voiced by the guy who played Lion-o in the original cartoon?
    He definitely was. This was public knowledge well in advance.
  • Ah, I missed reading that (I haven't been following it all that closely).

For that matter, I also got the impression that this isn't just a reboot, but a sequel of sorts with the new characters being descendants of the old that happened to have the same names as the originals. The talk of the "original Thundercats settling on this world and bringing civilization to all the animals" along with the whole "ancient technology" thing and the "return" of Mumm-ra after being defeated by the original Thundercats gave me that impression.
  • Watched the pilot last night. From the point of view of someone who hasn't seen any of the original Thundercats it seemed interesting and good enough. I really liked where it was going when I saw the scene with the lizard prisoners and how they had to steal because cats are dicks to other animals. I really hoped that the series would go and explore those themes, but after the end of pilot it became quite clear that story will go in totally different direction. Still I will be watching future episodes.
  • Just watched the first episodes and came to this forum cause I knew you guys would be into it. :D The recent MLP shenanigans on the podcast reminded me the forum exists.

I'm not yet sold on new Thundercats. I have a lot of issues with the new designs - they really look like people with facepaint on. Really really. More so than before. I'll probably draw up some redesigns of my own later to confirm for myself they could have been cooler. I'm also kind of disappointed at the lack of SPACESHIPS. Space ships are cool. I thought being space refugees was one of the neat things about the Thundercats. I did really like the clerics in the new version though - sad they died. Also curious why everyone in the world isn't a cleric because, come on, magic powers and superspeed!

I got the "sequel" vibe as well but I don't think it's actually intended to be. If I were the new development team I wouldn't want to wrestle with that. Probably just a nod to people's childhoods.
  • NeoNeo
    edited August 2011
    Just watched the 2nd episode. I really enjoyed the first one (though there was a lot of setup, but that is to be expected in the first episode of a new series), the second episode was kind of 'meh'. Mainly it was just too short, the story felt rushed.

The way Wilykat is drawn and acts really makes me think of Aang from The Last Airbender, his facial expressions are especially similar.

image image
    Post edited by Neo on
  • I feel so bad that something this well composed has to be constantly referenced as furry propaganda. In the original, we didn't have the Internet for the sake of furry flame wars.

Regardless, Mum Ra's remake is fascinating, and I can't wait to see him transformed in all his undead glory. He was one of the scariest villains of the '80's save for Spike from Gremlins and Chucky.
  • I'm reviewing the first four episodes of the show and will be posting it on my blog on Saturday or Sunday after I see the fourth episode. Short review: really good show that takes everything people liked about the original show and removes the annoying stuff or makes it not annoying. I love the darker tone and focus on story.

Also, Snarf is fucking adorable. I want a plushie of him.
  • Watched the first three episodes that are out thanks to Kate downloading them for me. I'm pretty happy with the treatment, even the young Liono. I also enjoyed the brotherly rivalry, and I think there is a lot of opportunity for character development in the older characters. Kit and Kat are okay, but such a massive improvement over what they were that I ended up enjoying the antics.
    The third episode was sort of silly, and it seemed like Liono changed his direction at the drop of a hat.
    I'm still not sure I'll watch every episode of the show, because I'm not entirely sold, but I certainly approve of the job they've done, and could watch it with a kid if they were into it.
    This may change depending on how future episodes go.
  • edited August 2011
    Just watched episode 4. Was that [Exodus]?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • The fourth episode seemed very Ghibli-esque. I approve.