This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PS2 Emulation

edited November 2010 in Video Games
How well does it work? What is the best emulator? They still have the nerve to charge $100 for an actual PS2.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    PCSX2. Depends on the game, but in general the performance is not ideal.

I say buy the PS2 and just pirate all the games.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Some won't get further than the loading screen. It seems 2D games generally run better.
  • From what I've heard, PCSX2 is the one to use.
    I believe it doesn't make use of quad-cores; with some games you will need over 3GHz on a Core i3/i5/i7 to run smoothly at 60FPS.

It's probably worth trying, but PS2 emulation is far from perfect.
  • I really only want to play a handful of games, so it's not worth my trouble.
  • How well does it work? What is the best emulator? They still have the nerve to charge $100 for an actual PS2.
    Why not buy a used PS2. I got one from a friend who had 2.. People are piratically rolling in extra PS2 or find someone who got a PS3 or something.
  • find someone who got a PS3 or something.
    PS3 aren't backward compatible anymore, so people are keeping their PS2.
  • find someone who got a PS3 or something.
    PS3 aren't backward compatible anymore, so people are keeping their PS2.
    Hence the $100.00 price tag. Too bad you didn't post this earlier, I just gave away my PS2 a few months ago.
  • Conspiracy: They purposefully removed backwards compatibility because PS2 sales were dropping, and they wanted to keep the price at $99.

Also, I really only want a slim PS2. I have no room for the big one.
  • There was a program you could buy a few years ago...oh wait, that was PS1 games.
  • There was a program you could buy a few years ago...oh wait, that was PS1 games.
    No reason to buy Bleem! ePSXe in the house.
  • Hence the $100.00 price tag. Too bad you didn't post this earlier, I just gave away my PS2 a few months ago
    Same here. I sold my barely used PS2 w/ modem for $50.
  • I recenty bought a ps2 due to the fact that there were a lot of ps2 games i missed out on when i had one. i tried to get a ps2 emulater to work but it was a real hassle and was really time consuming.
  • I gave mine to Uncle Yo cause he had nothing else.
  • You might want to give Craig's list a chance, either that or your local used book store. Mine has almost all the retro and new systems on stock along with some old games. I'll let you know if they have the slim though, in case you are interested.
  • Can PS3's be modded to play PS2 games? Might want to go the route if it's doable.
  • Also, I really only want a slim PS2. I have no room for the big one.
    Really? Cause I have an old original PS2 that I wouldn't mind getting rid of since I have a slim that I actually use. I would have to check to make sure it still works though. I remember it having trouble with a couple games later in its life. But if it does, I'll even throw in a controller and memory card along with the necessary cables.
  • You might want to give Craig's list a chance, either that or your local used book store. Mine has almost all the retro and new systems on stock along with some old games. I'll let you know if they have the slim though, in case you are interested.
    Everyone I know who had the original PS2 had some breakages.
  • Hence the $100.00 price tag. Too bad you didn't post this earlier, I just gave away my PS2 a few months ago
    Same here. I sold my barely used PS2 w/ modem for $50.
    Mine was pimped out with the modem and hard drive. Hells yeah.
    Mine still going strong after almost 9 years :O
  • Everyone I know who had the original PS2 had some breakages.
    I have a used PS2 original and it works fine.
  • My cat sprayed my original PS2, so I don't count that as the systems fault.
  • Still got my PS2 with hard drive fulla games.
  • edited November 2010
    You might want to give Craig's list a chance, either that or your local used book store. Mine has almost all the retro and new systems on stock along with some old games. I'll let you know if they have the slim though, in case you are interested.
    I've had mine since high school. Still works fine. Also, how trusting are you of third party sellers on Amazon? There's a couple people with high feedback selling them in the mid-$50 range.
    Post edited by Neito on