This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101111 - Protest: Rallies, Riots, Revolutions

edited November 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on a somewhat lackluster GeekNights (the energy was low), we consider the progression of protest, on to rallies, "riots," and revolution. In the news, social people are more likely to use drugs and have sex, and a wandering mind is correlated with unhappiness.

Download MP3

Comments

• Leave the year in the date. It's better, and it pisses Scott off, which is better still.
  • Leave the year in the date. It's better, and it pisses Scott off, which is better still.
    Leave the year in the date. It's better, and it pisses Scott off, which is better still.
    Leave the year in the date. It's better, and it pisses Scott off, which is better still.
  • Leave Scott in the date. It's better, which is better still, and it pisses the year off.
  • Scott's dates always leave. It's better for them, and it pisses Scott off, which is better still.
  • If mind wandering is a measure of unhappiness then I'm a miserable fuck. :P
  • I... I love you guyz.
  • I... I love you guyz.
    I hate you guys, but I love(d) your momz.
  • I... I love you guyz.
    But in what year?
  • I... I love you guyz.
    But in whatyear?
    And was that before or after the Byzantine Empire?
  • Rym, when you said "You never here about a stoner alone in his room", was that a thinly veiled reference to the artist Kid Cudi or mere coincidence?
  • That thing about it being trivial to get a job would be true, if I haven't already sent off a dozen applications and having almost no response from any of them...
  • That thing about it being trivial to get a job would be true, if I haven't already sent off a dozen applications and having almost no response from any of them...
    What kinds of jobs are you applying for, and where are you getting the offerings to which to respond? Not all job offers are created equal, and many exist only to show due diligence before they hire someone they've already picked out.

Also, if your resume looks like the example resumes they show you in high school or college, that's the first strike against when I'm interviewing people myself. ;^)
  • Scott, please list for me all of the television shows that have zombies in them.
  • I... I love you guyz.
    I hate you guys, but I love(d) your momz dadz.
    FTFY.
  • My favorite bullshit college job was overnight shelf stocker at Toys R Us. I viewed college as a once-in-a-lifetime social experience (it definitely was) and was pained by the thought of giving a portion of it up to work, so overnights and a sacrifice of sleep turned out to be very much worth it. Plus, doing menial labor while allowed to have headphones on is a great combo. A 15% discount on toys wasn't useful very often, but did come in handy every now and then.
    That thing about it being trivial to get a job would be true, if I haven't already sent off a dozen applications and having almost no response from any of them...
    I had a friend who was jobless after getting a masters degree in english and was applying for the most basic of jobs (think deli meat slicer). He wondered why he wasn't getting called back and I had to point out that if you are applying for such a job, your application has to look the part! If you are seeking short term work, don't overqualify yourself.
  • I'm thinking of applying to be a nightshift barista.
  • I'm thinking of applying to be a nightshift barista.
    Barista was my college job before I ditched it for night-shift work. It was awesome and the only reason I left was I didn't want to work during the day while at college. I say go for it, it sounds like a great job! (plus you have unlimited access to an espresso machine to make the night shift easier).

We had a rotating stock of baked goods which had to be thrown out after a few days in the fridge if they didn't sell. My best memories are creating my own recipe that consisted of delicious bakery cookies that were about to be thrown out, vanilla smoothie mix, and a little ice. Blend that up and you are drinking heaven (and your calories for the next two days). I think I was channeling Fast Karate for the Gentleman before I knew it existed.
  • edited November 2010
    I say go for it, it sounds like a great job! (plus you have unlimited access to an espresso machine to make the night shift easier).
    Insomnia makes night shifts easy, too. ~_^
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'll just say, my job gets repetitive as FUCK, particularly for ten hours. If I don't have something to listen to, my mind wanders all over the place.

On a particular note, hearkening back to Rym's period with no caffeine, I too am going without caffeine, possibly permanently, maybe not. When I worked as a security officer my first post was at the Coca-Cola distribution warehouse in my city, so I'd drink a fuckton of caffeine since I could get virtually limitless coke from the out of date bins near my guard shack. After that I worked at an office building, and I'd basically drink a liter of coke a night, but I only worked two nights so it worked out reasonably well. Now that I'm working at Zappos, it's ALL THE COKE YOU CAN DRINK again. Vending is free. I think I've avoided most of the negatives, however, because I'm fucking asleep during the day.
  • I working as a Starbucks Barista right now. I would finally get a job in computers, but maybe it is because my resume still looks like a high school resume or because I still have not finished my Bachelors degree yet.

Speaking of Protest. Arizona has the Senate Bill 1070 in which are governor is trying to Fight the Federal Government about. I really do not like the law, but I do not like the law even more now that Neo-Nazis did a protest rally in the state Capital, Phoenix, for the law.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/11/07/20091107neonazi.html
  • If you haven't finished your bachelors degree, apply for internships. They won't expect you to have job experience or a completed degree. Also you could contribute to an open source project, make your own creation, or generally just do anything that you could put on paper that shows you have got computer skills.
  • I working as a Starbucks Barista right now.
    This is what I am doing over the Summer :P
  • Weak sauce episode!
  • Weak sauce episode!
    Definitely. It was a bs crab people show and we were tired. It was the best we could come up with that wasn't a good idea we didn't want to waste.

I do stand by my point that rallies are pointless in modern America. Jon Stewart's had zero effect, and is already largely forgotten.