This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Neptune's Pride

Comments

• Firstly, it's sensor range that matters much more so than jump range
    That's why I upgraded sensor range first. I think the game would actually be a little bit better if it made the races asymmetric. For example, Yosho's race should have started with +1 range science, balanced by the face he starts so far away. Someone else could get an economic boost but start with less industry.
    What you need to do to defend effectively is distribute your ships so that you can see an enemy fleet coming and reinforce the star before the enemy fleet gets there.
    That's what I'm trying to do, but therein lies a problem. The only way to get enough ships to defend myself is to build ships in multiple locations. But in order to get them all rallied to defend a single star is to pay to get many of the supercarriers. Having to pay for all those carriers means there is less money to upgrade the actual stars.
    I'm fine with wargames that aren't perfectly symmetrical, and Scott will often complain about wargames where he feels he has been slighted when in fact he slighted himself with poor planning.
    I made some mistakes, but I don't think any of them were gigantic. I'm fine with being punished for mistakes. I'm not fine with a game where even the tiniest error means absolute destruction. That's an Age of Steam situation. You need to play exactly perfectly or you get immediately devastated with no hope. Games should punish you only a little for small mistakes, and a lot for big mistakes.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2010
    I made some mistakes, but I don't think any of them were gigantic. I'm fine with being punished for mistakes. I'm not fine with a game where even the tiniest error means absolute destruction. That's an Age of Steam situation. You need to play exactly perfectly or you get immediately devastated with no hope. Games should punish you only a little for small mistakes, and a lot for big mistakes.
    Depends on your opponents in a game like this moreso than the game.

Take Advance Wars. Play an average player, and buying a Rocket when you should have bought two Mechs and a tank is no big deal. Play against me, and moving a single infantry one space too far two rounds in is a game loser. Buying one extra infantry in the first ten rounds incorrectly can be an auto-lose.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Take Advance Wars. Play an average player, and buying a Rocket when you should have bought two Mechs and a tank is no big deal. Play against me, and moving a single infantry one space too far two rounds in is a game loser. Buying one extra infantry in the first ten rounds incorrectly can be an auto-lose.
    Yeah, everyone is playing hardcore and going after me big-time. Of course, I can't complain or ask them to stop. They would be stupid not to, and I couldn't respect them if they didn't do everything within their power to win the game.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, everyone is playing hardcore and going after me big-time. Of course, I can't complain or ask them to stop.
    In strategy games you always play a Montezuma inspired play style.. So you should expect if you don't come into an early lead everyone is going to kick your ass.

Actually thinking about the last couple of games I've played with the crew. The trick to winning is to try and stay out of early border war with either Alex or Scott and try your damnest to get Rym distracted with them.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Take Advance Wars. Play an average player, and buying a Rocket when you should have bought two Mechs and a tank is no big deal. Play against me, and moving a single infantry one space too far two rounds in is a game loser. Buying one extra infantry in the first ten rounds incorrectly can be an auto-lose.
    Yeah, everyone is playing hardcore and going after me big-time. Of course, I can't complain or ask them to stop. They would be stupid not to, and I couldn't respect them if they didn't do everything within their power to win the game.
    Yes, but if any one of us stands to get a big advantage from your stars, it's in other players' best interests to stop them from doing so.
  • In strategy games you always play a Montezuma inspired play style.. So you should expect if you don't come into a early lead everyone is going to kick your ass.
    7 jump jets, 6 small lasers, zero armor.
  • I made some mistakes, but I don't think any of them were gigantic. I'm fine with being punished for mistakes. I'm not fine with a game where even the tiniest error means absolute destruction. That's an Age of Steam situation. You need to play exactly perfectly or you get immediately devastated with no hope. Games should punish you only a little for small mistakes, and a lot for big mistakes.
    Speaking of mistakes, why are you sending a fleet of 5 ships at a star that's about to be taken by 38 of mine?
  • I made some mistakes, but I don't think any of them were gigantic. I'm fine with being punished for mistakes. I'm not fine with a game where even the tiniest error means absolute destruction. That's an Age of Steam situation. You need to play exactly perfectly or you get immediately devastated with no hope. Games should punish you only a little for small mistakes, and a lot for big mistakes.
    Speaking of mistakes, why are you sending a fleet of 5 ships at a star that's about to be taken by 38 of mine?
    Because you can't see what else is going on.
  • Because you can't see what else is going on.
    He's got five more ships on the way.
  • edited November 2010
    Because you can't see what else is going on.
    He's gotfive moreships on the way.
    You're wrong. It's nine!

Attacking a superior force with two small fleets. Great move, Scott.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Attacking a superior force with two small fleets. Great move, Scott.
    If flanking came in to play it might :-p
  • edited November 2010
    Combat

Combat takes place in rounds, with each side taking turns to do damage, until all ships of one side are destroyed.

The defender always strikes first and receives a +1 weapons advantage.

Starting with the defender, each side does damage equal to their weapons skill (+1 for the defender).

For example:
    Defender has 4 weapons skill (+1 for defending) and 10 ships. Attacker has 6 weapons skill and 10 ships.

Round 1: defender does 5 damage, attacker loses 5 ships leaving 5 ships.

Round 2: attacker does 6 damage, defender loses 6 ships leaving 4 ships.

Round 3: defender does 5 damage, attacker loses 5 ships leaving 0 ships.

Defender wins with 4 ships remaining.

Given an equal number of ships and equal weapons skill (including defensive bonus), the defender will always win as they strike first.

The number of ships does not play a role in the amount of damage dealt. Number of ships can be considered as the "health" of each player in the battle.
    So Scott is making two mistakes. Attacking against a superior force is a bad idea, since it's advantageous to defend, and attacking with two separate fleets is also a bad idea, as it will at the least lose you an extra super carrier.

Of course, Scott is probably going to say "I didn't know combat worked like that".
  • edited November 2010
    Take Advance Wars. Play an average player, and buying a Rocket when you should have bought two Mechs and a tank is no big deal. Play against me, and moving a single infantry one space too far two rounds in is a game loser. Buying one extra infantry in the first ten rounds incorrectly can be an auto-lose.
    Yes, but if any one of us stands to get a big advantage from your stars, it's in other players' best interests to stop them from doing so.
    For example, if I were attacked, I would tell all other players the numbers of my attacker's ships and their positions; this might force my attacker to retreat to defend himself. There is even the "Cease Hostilities" button, which allows other players to see your scanning data, although that is clearly a double-edged sword ^_~
  • edited November 2010
    I know attacking a superior fleet is a bad idea. I also know that I would lose the super carriers. I just thought that even with all that, whittling down the superior fleet would result in eventual victory.

Also, I couldn't send a bigger force because I had to send it elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I'm the only player who has to deal with multiple fronts simultaneously.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2010
    Wait, no, he's actually sending three fleets. The third has 10 ships.

By the way, Scott, you're going to lose three fleets and 24 ships to kill only 10 of my ships. Also, I think you'll like my current move.
  • By the way, Scott, you're going to lose three fleets and 24 ships to kill only 10 of my ships.
    You threw two armies against the same Shogun walls.
  • By the way, Scott, you're going to lose three fleets and 24 ships to kill only 10 of my ships.
    No wai! I did the maths, and it was going to get a lot more than that. Is your weapons upgraded or some shit?

This game has a serious momentum problem. Once you are behind, you can't catch up. Also, there's no way that one person can hold off multiple opponents unless they are way ahead to begin with. I could have easily defended myself from one enemy, as I have done on the other front. I guess the remainder of my forces just isn't enough to defend on this front as well.
  • This game has a serious momentum problem. Once you are behind, you can't catch up. Also, there's no way that one person can hold off multiple opponents unless they are way ahead to begin with. I could have easily defended myself from one enemy, as I have done on the other front.
    Poland said the same thing when it was partitioned.
  • This game has a serious momentum problem. Once you are behind, you can't catch up. Also, there's no way that one person can hold off multiple opponents unless they are way ahead to begin with. I could have easily defended myself from one enemy, as I have done on the other front.
    Poland said the same thing when it waspartitioned.
    And wasn't it right?
    No wai! I did the maths, and it was going to get a lot more than that. Is your weapons upgraded or some shit?
    Yep, I have 3 ws. 3 + 1 defender bonus = 4. Compared to your 2 ws, I'm doing double your damage, and I also get the first attack.
    Yep, I have 3 ws. 3 + 1 defender bonus = 4. Compared to your 2 ws, I'm doing double your damage, and I also get the first attack.
    Nothing I could do about that. Another catch-22. If I had upgraded weapons instead of scanning, I wouldn't have seen it coming early enough to make any difference in the first place.
  • What Scott should be doing is trying to convince the other players to kill Lackofcheese ^_^
  • What Scott should be doing is trying to convince the other players to kill Lackofcheese ^_^
    Even if I succeeded in doing so:

They are out of range. They can't reach him. If they could, I wouldn't be in this situation right now. Also, there's nothing I can do to convince or offer anyone. They are just acting in their best interest to win. To have a chance of winning, someone else has to be intentionally stupid.
    Nothing I could do about that. Another catch-22. If I had upgraded weapons instead of scanning, I wouldn't have seen it coming early enough to make any difference in the first place.
    Not true. When I sent my fleet, your star was within sensor range of mine, and hence my fleet would've been visible to your sensors at time of launch.

Also, in addition to my 3ws, my ships are 1.5x as fast as yours, which is the main reason I was able to take your star before you could reinforce it.

Besides, if you were defending instead of attacking, it would've been 2+1=3 vs 3 on weapons strength, which would've been significantly more effective. As things stand, I'm very grateful to you for minimizing my losses.
  • edited November 2010
    In this thread: Scott whines about how the game in unbalanced when in reality he is merely ignoring his own failures to read the rules.
    Post edited by Andrew on
    Even if I succeeded in doing so:

They are out of range. They can't reach him. If they could, I wouldn't be in this situation right now. Also, there's nothing I can do to convince or offer anyone. They are just acting in their best interest to win. To have a chance of winning, someone else has to be intentionally stupid.
    Also not entirely true. Given that I've sent many ships to attack you, that means my ability to defend my own stars is significantly reduced, which makes it a great time to attack me.
  • Also not entirely true. Given that I've sent many ships to attack you, that means my ability to defend my own stars is significantly reduced, which makes it a great time to attack me.
    Obviously I know this, and have thought about it quite seriously. The problem is that you only have one other star within range that I can attack. By the time I reach it, you can defend it easily. Also, you probably don't see me defending myself on two other fronts besides just you. I'm actually holding on those two fronts. It's just the front with you, which I made the third priority, that is suffering. If I were to attack you, I would have to leave myself open on the other side, and that would be the end of that.
  • In this thread: Scott whines about how the game in unbalanced when in reality he is merely ignoring his own failures to read the rules.
    Did you notice how he only started to really bitch about it AFTER he started losing territory and battles?
  • edited November 2010
    Also not entirely true. Given that I've sent many ships to attack you, that means my ability to defend my own stars is significantly reduced, which makes it a great time to attack me.
    Obviously I know this, and have thought about it quite seriously. The problem is that you only have one other star within range that I can attack. By the time I reach it, you can defend it easily. Also, you probably don't see me defending myself on two other fronts besides just you. I'm actually holding on those two fronts. It's just the front with you, which I made the third priority, that is suffering. If I were to attack you, I would have to leave myself open on the other side, and that would be the end of that.
    My point was that because I'm weakening my other defenses, perhaps, say, Shiam could take advantage of this in order to attack me. Hence it wouldn't necessarily be stupid, and you could convince another player to attack me.

Scott's second fleet is about to fight me at Merak, while I have split my forces and already taken and looted Mirach for $20, and gotten Scott's 3 industry. It was a great target once Scott's fleet left it mostly undefended in order to sacrifice itself against my superior defense capability. Adding insult to injury, I've already upgraded Mirach's Economy to 1, despite its position in his territory.
    I'm liking the look of Scheddi. $60 worth of loot and 5 more Industry? Sign me up!
  • edited November 2010
    My point was that because I'm weakening my other defenses, perhaps, say, Shiam could take advantage of this in order to attack me.
    Not really much I can do since Yellow and Blue are also threatening me. No matter what strategy I employed, no way to win when it's 3 vs. 1.

Consider this. I may have made mistakes, but Yoshokatana didn't even PLAY for DAYS. His random starting position granted him effective invulnerability. If I had started in that position, I would be owning right now, even with the mistakes I had made. Asymmetry is one thing, but that's just absurd. Also, consider if you had my starting position, and had played without mistakes. How do you think you would be doing right now?
    Post edited by Apreche on