This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Neptune's Pride

Comments

• Such is the fate of all who attempt to stop me in Advance Wars.
    Every time I say "gang up on Rym," right at the beginning. And what do people do? They gang up on me. Thus, they guarantee themselves second place. If you ganged up on Rym, you would get first place since I suck! You fools!
  • The problem with Rubin in AW is you are so weak it's hard not to make the choice "Will Scott quick, use increased production to kill Rym" You have to be better :-p
  • The problem with Rubin in AW is you are so weak it's hard not to make the choice "Will Scott quick, use increased production to kill Rym" You have to be better :-p
    Your belief that I suck is actually skewed by the fact that I am always ganged up on. Nobody can win if they are being double-teamed. Also, how many times have you won after taking all my stuff? Zero? That's what I thought.
  • If you ganged up on Rym, you would get first place since I suck! You fools!
    Ahh, but if people gang up on me, I mech. By making the cost of attacking me great, I sow seeds of defection among members of the coalition. If Blue attacks my holdings at substantial cost, why would Yellow finish the job when he can now cheaply and safely attack Blue for a greater net gain. If Blue knows this, then he will never attack me in the first place.

No one will make the first move against me, and if anyone is foolish enough to do it, the coalition behind him will just destroy him. I just have to turtle until the coalition collapses, and then it's "roll tanks roll."
  • edited November 2010
    No one will make the first move against me, and if anyone is foolish enough to do it, the coalition behind him will just destroy him. I just have to turtle until the coalition collapses, and then it's "roll tanks roll."
    This is generally my Civ IV Strat

Unless Lisa forms a coalition to destroy me :-(
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Anyone can 'mech, even me. The key is to surround the remaining bases with enough artillery and rockets to immediately destroy the new 'mechs every round and then take the HQ.
  • Anyone can 'mech, even me. The key is to surround the remaining bases with enough artillery and rockets to immediately destroy the new 'mechs every round and then take the HQ.
    I suppose I should have said turtle. I'll build mechs like crazy, but also AA, artillery, and antitanks to form a secure defensive perimeter. The biggest mistake most people make against me is attacking strongly, but then pressing when they should have retreated and regrouped. Let the enemies throw themselves against your walls, and then have the battle in a place of your choosing.

Attacking me without following through correctly is tantamount to losing.
  • Yea, and if I'm on the other side of the person who made that critical mistake... It does me some good to quickly mop you up to get the increased production to hopefully overtake Rym.
  • Yea, and if I'm on the other side of the person who made that critical mistake... It does me some good to quickly mop you up to get the increased production to hopefully overtake Rym.
    That's fine on paper, but how has it worked out for you?
  • That's fine on paper, but how has it worked out for you?
    Well actually pretty good. Generally I eliminate the player if it's advance wars, they quite and the game freezes and the match is over. Most turn based games end when one or two people are eliminated. I've found in these kind of games there are only losers.
  • Note to self in Neptune's Pride, there is no confirm button that asks you in plain English if what you are about to do is really what you want to do....
  • What did you do?
  • edited November 2010
    What did you do?
    Having never played the game before I was checking out the trade menus and I figured it would say "Are You sure you want to do this" but of course it didn't and I gave my tech to a player, hopefully he will be cool and send me something back.. (that isn't 30 ships with death laz0rs)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited November 2010
    At least you didn't press "Cease Hostilities". That would probably have completely fucked you, though I'm not sure what it does yet; I intend to test it at some point during my current game.

Also, you should probably have acted like you meant to do it if you wanted to get something back.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2010
    I see what you did there, Shiam. I guess we're down to business now.
  • Also, you should probably have acted like you meant to do it if you wanted to get something back.
    Well, I like to broadcast my mistakes. Plus don't you think I asked him to give me some tech for the act of good will.
  • I wish there was a way to see when a player last logged in you never know if you are being ignored or they just haven't logged into the game in a while.
  • edited November 2010

Things are finally heating up for lackofcheese. At least two other races have made a coalition against the brush-heads, although it could easily become three or four under the circumstances.

It appears that this is primarily a vengeful response by the insectoids to the brush-head betrayal. Despite losing most of her stars, bug queen Shiam was still in possession of advanced technology, which was quickly sent to Dromaro and Yoshokatana. With this, Yosho finally has the ability to bridge the gap and reach the upper brush-head outposts. However, despite their new-found technology, these barbarians remain unable to scan the available targets for an attack, making such a move somewhat riskier than it would be otherwise. Nonetheless, Yoshokatana has almost as many ships as lackofcheese due to still not having been in a true combat scenario. The brush-heads can only hope that lack of experience will be the downfall of these reptiles.

Meanwhile, Dromaro's squids and the bugs have gone so far as to cease hostilities with one another. As a result of their alliance, Dromaro has now gained 4ws, 0.75ly range, and 0.55ly scan range, while Shiam now has Dromaro's 1.2ly/d fleet speed. Although the squid monsters have now captured a cyan star, we are still left to wonder what route Dromaro's fleets will take to reach lackofcheese. With cessation of hostilities between purple and yellow, it seems likely that the squids will come across the Great Lower Divide, formerly impassable to them before their 0.7ly jump range technology, in order to join Shiam's dwindling ships and counter-attack lackofcheese.

Unfortunately for lackofcheese, the first brush-head super carrier was destroyed this day. Will it be the last?
  • edited November 2010

lackofcheese's campaign for domination of the galaxy has continued with the capture of 3 more of Shiam's stars, and the discovery of weapons with a strength of 6. Now with only 2 stars with 5 ships between them, it is clear that The Golem's fate awaits Shiam.

At this point in time, it seems that it may already be too late for the remaining races to stop the orange tide. Although they currently possess 734 total ships to lackofcheese's 441, the weaponry of the brush-head ships is much stronger. Additionally, the various orange stars are producing 42 more ships per day than all of the other stars put together.

If there is to be any hope of stopping lackofcheese, there needs to be a swift counterattack from all sides. However, we have all witnessed Yoshokatana's ponderous movements firsthand. The turtle-snakes may now have 1.2ly/d fleet speed, but unless Yoshokatana actually sends them to attack, it won't make any difference.
  • edited November 2010
    Dromaro/Shiam, can you tell us a little about the "Cease Hostilities" mechanic? I know you went through a yellow star without attacking it, and the tooltip says you share sensor data.
    However, what options do you have once you have already ceased hostilities? Is it just $50 to go to war again?

Also, gg everyone.
  • edited November 2010
    Well, I hit 33 stars. That's it, I've won. I got 10 credits for it, too.

What's going on in that second game?
  • Dat second game:

With the exception of Shiam and Vhdblood, all the competing empires have an even footing for the moment. Aspidske, the star in the center of the galaxy has been unofficially agreed upon as neutral territory. Anyone who makes a move for it will most likely be subject to attack. In this galaxy fleet range is extremely important, because without it you can't expand beyond our current 8 star stalemate without conflict. When Ruffas' science turtles worked this out they started plodding along that path of research. Because of their single minded focus on range, they have may have forgotten to hit the "Start" button in their factories. This was obviously not case for Apreche's thorny monsters as they have gotten into the full swing of military industrialization and research. Vhdblood seems to gearing his fish-beasts up for an impending conflict with his full four fleets, perhaps to make up for his lackadaisical start. Cremlian's brushheads have made it their business to know other people's business and have upgraded their scanners beyond most people's jump range. Up until this point, Blattus' space whales have been at the fore, but it seems as if that may change in the coming days. Bug-queen Shiam is obviously up to something, but as of yet our spies have been unable to figure out what it is.
  • Yea, this game is on my mind... Since there are so many aspects of this map that I didn't consider till later.
  • edited November 2010
    I'd say Scott is winning this overall; it looks like he spent his money best. Nonetheless, the difference is slight, and everyone has good chances right now, it seems.
  • edited November 2010
    It wasn't until the second day I realized how important range was going to be. You can't expand past eight stars without it (unless you want to go through somebody). I made some bungles with the first 2 days worth of money and probably should have build another science center, but I seem to be doing better than I expected.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • It wasn't until the second day I realized how important range was going to be.
    Yea, I knew range was important for the offense but I didn't realize it was going to be important for the fringe of the map until I tried to jump to the next planet.
  • edited November 2010
    It wasn't until the second day I realized how important range was going to be. You can't expand past eight stars without it (unless you want to go through somebody). I made some bungles with the first 2 days money and probably should have build another science center, but I look to be doing better than I expected.
    Yeah, going for range was a smart move on your part.
  • How do the scanners work for offense? Do you have to be able to see them when they set out or are they and their destination visible once they're in range?
  • How do the scanners work for offense? Do you have to be able to see them when they set out or are d their destination visible once they're in range?
    The scanners are based on planets so the fleets can't use them to detect extra stuff until they hit a planet.
  • Yeah, you see any fleets within your sensor range, as well as their destination.