This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Neptune's Pride

Comments

• The scanners are based on planets so the fleets can't use them to detect extra stuff untilthey hit a planet.
    I meant for incoming stuff. Do you see fleets once they come within range?
  • I meant for incoming stuff. Do you see fleets once they come within range?
    Yea you do, I just kicked the butt of a fleet in the other game I'm playing because I knew they were heading towards my star so my explorer was able to make the right choices.

Our spies reported a pan-galactic feasting taking place while this new day dawned. Once they were recovered enough from the festivities to file their reports they revealed that while the common folk had been busy brushhead, thorn, and bug scientists had discovered the secrets to increasing fleet range. Vhdblood's fish folk have not made any breakthroughs in quite some time, so it's likely they are playing catchup. They're also lagging behind in sensor tech, an oversight that may come back to bite them. According to the reports it appears Blattus' space whales have been overtaken by Ruffas' turtles, likely their head start on deep space travel. The brushy ones have also ensured that their ships remain the fastest in the galaxy while Shiams science-bugs have been gearing up for a major scientific breakthrough in the near future with their four science stations. Apreche's thron armada remains the galaxy's most robust and he has the industrial capacity to keep it that way for some time.
  • What's going on now?
  • What's going on now?
    A Mexican standoff at the center of the galaxy. Everyone has a sizable fleet and it's only time before two side by side empires make a treaty to not take advantage of the move. but will the other civs just sit or hop over and take advantage. Meanwhile for the people with increased range they are slowly taking the outer ring planets with some expected slow and small border wars.
  • edited November 2010
    imageimageimage
    Ruffas continues to hold onto the lead due to his head start in range technology, but that has become fairly commonplace in this day and age. Nobody seems to have made the breakthrough necessary to explore the outermost reaches of the galaxy, instead focusing on more immediately effective research in speed, scanners, and weapons. The entire galaxy is abuzz with talk of what is going to happen in the core once the Mexican Standoff is broken. An uneasy peace has been maintained despite Vhdblood's fish folk losing a fleet at Decrux in an attempt to colonize it. When asked for comment, Ruffas' Turtle King said "He was taking too damn long so I went and took it." At the moment, Bug-Queen Shiam has brought more than half their insect fleet to bear. Apreche's thorn people continue to be the most industrious and financially savvy race.

// Lackofcheese, if I messaged you with the relevant information each day would you do commentary? You had quite a knack for it.

EDIT: We have first aggression...in 12 hours.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, if I got links to images like the ones you used above I could do a commentary. Of course there's information I wouldn't get, but even when I was playing I would rarely give away any information that wasn't available to everyone.
    In this situation, everyone with half-decent sensors can see the entirety of what's going on in the middle, so it makes sense to include that in your post as you did - although I wouldn't have given away fleet concentrations in some of those deeper stars of your own.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • although I wouldn't have given away fleet concentrations in some of those deeper stars of your own.
    Fix't. It's little things like that I tend to overlook. I'll send you new stuff ~9am EST (-13 Aussie time I think) so people have had time to do things after money happens.
  • Man, I am glad noone chose to attack while I was on my 10 hour car ride it would have sucked. That's the one problem about this game once with close stars or fast speed. The chance someone makes a move in a period that you are either sleeping or unable to get to a computer you can get really screwed.
  • edited November 2010
    Especially when it stops being a chance and becomes a planned certainty. Then your only solution is not to sleep, or to sleep only for short periods of time ^_~
    Either that, or have your sleep pattern be completely unpredictable, as is the case with me.
  • Wow, there is going to be a clusterfuck in light blue's next star to the center they have a large fleet there but both yellow and purple sent fleets there at the same time. I'm pretty sure if my understanding of the combat works out both incoming fleets will be destroyed but they will enact heavy losses on yellow.. Leaving them open to attack from another side of the spiral.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, I planned on having a bigger fleet but messed up b/c I didn't actually click to confirm on a garrison size change. I think when I last looked Vhd will just barely keep the star.
    Edit: wait no, he'll just barely loose it, unless he gets like 1 more ship in time.
    Post edited by Shiam on
  • Can we see some numbers and ETAs for fleets?
  • edited November 2010
    I'm not really committed to keeping Alnitak, I just want its sweet sweet Research while I've got it.

EDIT: Shiam's there in 20, I'm there in 60.
    EDITEDIT: Vdhblood has 28 ships 5 weapons (w/defend), Shiam's got 43 ships with 3 weapons, and I've got 7 ships with 4 weapons. So unless he spawns another ship I get the planet for at least 7 hours(ish).
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • It seems like this game makes you really pay for fucking up a couple of choices. I'm behind by quite a bit, and I was hoping I wouldn't be attacked first so I could at least stand a chance. So much for that. :P
  • Yea, in this game the weak or the very strong will be attacked first. It almost pays to be in the middle.
  • Wow, in my free game I'm playing. I took an early lead until I had players on three sides send large fleets. Instead of defending my planets I pulled back leaving behind one ship each time. I quickly turned around battles where I had less weapon tech and smaller numbers by choosing my ground.
  • edited November 2010
    imageimage
    A new star cluster has been discovered, and, to no one's surprise, the universe-wracking war between the six great races is already in full force here. This cluster has an interesting spiral shape, with 6-fold rotational symmetry, and it appears that by some astronomical coincidence the brush-heads, turtle-snakes, tentacle beasts, squid monsters, bug-beasts and fisheyes began their colonization at the same time, in an initially symmetrical pattern, roughly a week ago. We must remember that in the previous cluster, #25539, one week is all it took for the brush-heads, under lackofcheese, to almost entirely conquer The Golem's tentacle beasts, setting them well on their way to complete domination of that cluster. In this cluster, it appears that the symmetric spiral shape has somewhat mitigated the natural aggression of these races. We are witnessing what has to date mostly been a cold war; in particular, science investment has been very heavy indeed for all races involved as compared to their previous meeting. Although ship counts suggest that most races have already lost ships in battle, the only combat of note so far has been the Battle of Alnitak.

Despite the overall symmetry of the cluster, each individual faction is clearly different. Ruffas, the new Lord Admiral of the turtle-snakes, has shown a very aggressive nature. Our reports say that Ruffas is new to his position, having taken over after his predecessor Yoshokatana was executed for abject failure. Unlike Yoshokatana, Ruffas has shown no aversion to science, and currently has the lead in this area with 6 science facilities. This is an unconventional trend among the barbaric turtle-snake folk, but it is clearly paying off. Ruffas has already had some success in battle, as suggested by our attempt to piece together the events of the great Battle of Alnitak. Apparently, Shiam expected to win with 43 ships against Vhdblood's 28 (with ws5). If we assume a reasonable level of intelligence on the bug queen's part, this suggests Shiam's fleet must have received the upgrade of weapon strength to 4 before arrival. In either case, few ships were left to defend Alnitak, whether they were yellow or cyan. This is how the turtle-snakes came to possess Alnitak, and a large lead in star count, as he was able to take the star at the cost of only 5 ships. Although it is possible that this is the result of an alliance between Ruffas and Shiam, it is far more likely that this conflict was a blunder by Shiam, as the bug queen's own admission suggests:
    Yeah, I planned on having a bigger fleet but messed up b/c I didn't actually click to confirm on a garrison size change.
    Meanwhile, Vhdblood, taking Apsup's position as commander of the fish-eyes, is doing worse than his predecessor. He has lost two of the valuable central stars to Ruffas, and is clearly suffering for it, with the lowest scores in ship count, Economy, Industry and Science. Although he may be able to take back his lost stars soon, the price has already been paid.

After Dromaro's demotion, Blattus now commands the squid monsters. However, it appears that this was a mistake on the part of the Squid High Command, as Dromaro's preference for fast expansion would clearly have served the squids better here. Having been slow to research the essential range technology needed to colonize the outer reaches of the cluster, Blattus now has weak Economy and Industry, although he is at least managing to keep up in Science and ship counts.

While lackofcheese is enjoying a nice vacation after his unparalleled success in the previous cluster, Cremlian is in command of the brush-head forces. Unlike lackofcheese's initially Economy-heavy approach, Cremlian chose to focus on an early lead in Science, with a later attempt to achieve a balanced Economy and Industry. The early science investment has given Cremlian a slight technological lead, as the brush-heads are the only ones to possess 0.96ly/d engines as well as 0.75ly sensors. The brush-heads have been a little slower to expand than the tentacle beasts or turtle-snakes, and currently have a slight disadvantage in Economy and Industry compared to those races, but they clearly remain in the running for dominance.

In stark contrast to their demise within a week in the previous cluster, the tentacle beasts currently seem to have a massive lead in ship count - 35% more than the next highest - coupled with a superior Economy, and solid Industry and Science. Our research into their command structure has yielded very interesting results. Unlike other races, who are content merely to execute their leaders when they fail on such a massive scale, or perhaps allow them to learn from their mistakes, the tentacle beasts use a process of genetic manipulation to perfect the military intellect. As far as we know, Apreche is in fact a modified clone of The Golem. Although his behaviour is similar to The Golem's, Apreche has clearly not repeated the mistakes the tentacle beasts made in the previous cluster. From our observations, Apreche is content to sit back and build up an advantage in ship numbers, while the other races waste theirs away in battle. His choice to invest in superior sensor technology suggests that for the moment he intends to play a primarily defensive game. His intent, then, is clearly to build up an advantage as his neighbours waste themselves away in ongoing war, ready to strike at any time if his sensors reveal a weakness.

Bug-queen Shiam appears to have somehow survived the brush-head betrayal in the previous star cluster, and is doing reasonably well this time, with solid E/I/S scores and a decent number of ships. However, as with last time, she has been a little slow to expand. Her failure in the Battle of Alnitak has not cost her too heavily, at least.

Overall, we have a situation where there are two clear leaders in this cluster, two races of middling strength, and two weak civilizations. The interesting thing is that each of these pairs occupy opposite positions in the cluster - Ruffas and Apreche, Shiam and Cremlian, and Blattus and Vhdblood. Unfortunately for bug queen Shiam, this will make it much harder for her to get revenge on the brush-heads for their betrayal.
  • So much potential destruction. What will happen first.
  • Man, I'm playing in this other free game, and I gotta say it's good to have superior scanners and speed.
    What was this about?
  • What was this about?
    Nothing we continue to field giant fleets.
    What was this about?
    Intrigue! Feints! An unlikely romance? Things are reaching a boiling point and WAR is likely to break out in the coming days. There was a while when Scott (not ScoJo) was pretending to send a fleet to the unoccupied middle planet and I was going to send my biggest nearby fleet to make sure he didn't keep it. But HE didn't send so I didn't send and back to cold war it was.
  • All someone would have to do is get up at 4, launch to the middle planet and get the defender bonus to make them pretty much unmovable ;-p Just that action would cause a huge amount of people to move.. Why send a big fleet just send a fleet of one ship.
  • Because If Scott actually committed he'd have gotten there first and I'd have had to remove him with extreme prejudice.
  • The main problem is defense. If you make offense, you leave a big hole in your ass that has no defense. Someone eventually will find an offensive move that doesn't leave their ass open.
  • edited December 2010
    All someone would have to do is get up at 4, launch to the middle planet and get the defender bonus to make them pretty much unmovable ;-p Just that action would cause a huge amount of people to move.. Why send a big fleet just send a fleet of one ship.
    I've been thinking this the whole time. Send a fleet with two ships, then leave one there and take your fleet back. That way, you don't lose a fleet, you take out 6 or so of someone else's ships for your one, and hopefully you cause many other players to lose ships in a massive brawl in the centre.
  • In Advance Wars games, I would often pretend to go for a central city, let myself get driven off, and watch the allies proceed to fight themselves into ruin over it under the watchful gaze of the rockets I'd left waiting.
  • My god, I'm playing a free game where I an generally kicking some ass (tied for first) , but it is SOOO freaking hard to deal with a three front war especially when no one is responding to my "Lets stop this border war and focus on the threats to both of our other borders" I wonder if I am the one everyone has an alliance against :-p