This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rebuild of Evangelion

2»

Comments

• Still, I'm glad I saw it and will watch the others.
    According to several boards, Eva 2.0: You can (not) advance is going to be substantially different. (spoilers)Not the least of which is a new Eva pilot, and following more of the Manga storyline than the TV show.(/spoilers)
  • From the summaries I've read of 2.0 online, I'm not sure if I like the changes they've made to Asuka's story. What with the pirate thing, and all.
  • I saw the dub of 1.0 in a theater today, and let me tell you, if you have the opportunity, do it. Some of the voices are kind of weird (especially having seen the dub of the show), but while the fansub sent shivers down my spine from awesome, the theatrical version was nonstop awesome. The fights are so much more epic and the melodrama is so much more melodramatic on the big screen.
  • I don't think it's playing in any theaters here in the NYC metro area but I'll be getting the Blu-Ray version of 1.11 when it comes out early next year.
  • Yeah. It was definitely worth going to see this in the theater. The dub wasn't terrible, but I think I still prefer the Eva sub.
  • Whats-his-face, Shinji's friend with the video camera, was the only character who was really jarringly different. Ritsuko and Rei had more mature voices (I like Ritsuko's voice a lot, and I'm undecided about Rei's), and Gendo had a different voice which I didn't like quite as much. Other than those, though, the dub was actually fairly good.
  • Whats-his-face, Shinji's friend with the video camera
    Kenseke Aida. And I wish I had a video camera/TV.
  • He sounded like an annoying punk kid whose balls hadn't yet dropped. That was irritating. Every other difference in the voice acting was a matter of taste.
  • Okay, thread necromancy!

So, I'm supposed to show this in my high school's anime club tomorrow. My friend owns the DVD, but says that he isn't sure if we can squeak some of the content by despite the PG-13 rating. He told me to watch it, but extenuating circumstances have left me unable to.

Without spoilers, are there any scenes that are honestly inappropriate for high school? Remember, I'm a prude on some levels, so judge it on my stand. The description says some nudity, are we talking a butt, side boob, what? If it's a boob minus the nipple, then I think we might have a problem. Also, shower scenes with conveniently placed bubbles and/or soap and/or steam will likely be out as well.
  • edited December 2009
    Depends on how much of it you're showing tomorrow. If it's just the first few episodes, if I remember correctly, you should be ok. We got away with showing it at our high school anime club.

Most of the things that get it the PG-13 rating are simply crude humor, existent as much in this as things like Shrek. Besides, everyone should be 13 years of age at a high school, anyway.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited December 2009
    No, I mean, the movie, Rebuild of Evangelion. As in, Evangelion 1.01: You Are (Not) Alone.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I don't know if you've watched the show or not, but 1.01 does cover the first six episodes. I will say that in the movie version, there is a lot more blood when the Angels are killed than the show ever had. Additionally, and more to your point, there is indeed a full boob with nipple shot in the movie. That plus the same scene shows Rei dressing without bothering to cover up much. So, if awkward teenage nudity bothers you, then you might want to skip. I personally don't think it's inappropriate for high school (I mean, I went to a Catholic school and they showed movies with blatant nudity), but it's your call.
  • I don't know if you've watched the show or not, but 1.01 does cover the first six episodes. I will say that in the movie version, there is a lot more blood when the Angels are killed than the show ever had. Additionally, and more to your point, there is indeed a full boob with nipple shot in the movie. That plus the same scene shows Rei dressing without bothering to cover up much. So, if awkward teenage nudity bothers you, then you might want to skip. I personally don't think it's inappropriate for high school (I mean, I went to a Catholic school and they showed movies with blatant nudity), but it's your call.
    It's a matter of bothering me, bothering one mentally challenged student who shows up, or bothering any teacher/faculty who is sitting in as our "adviser." I could just look away during the nudity, but...Not sure about the others.
    My friend told me we might have to skip a scene, which I assume is the aforementioned one. He also said the plot is kind of important. Is the scene skippable without leaving a major plot gap?
    If this is the case, then I'd say you just need to make the judgment call based on who goes to your club. Are they mostly upperclassmen? If you have a teacher sponsor or a teacher who pokes his head in, do they teach upperclassmen or have an understanding of the differences of Japanese culture? The last two years of our club we were lucky enough to have both a (mostly) mature audience and a teacher sponsor who was a comic book fan and had an understanding of anime.

But, if you're not absolutely sure, nothing is worth possibly jeopardizing the existence of your club to watch this. If there's one thing I learned running our high school club, it was how to fly under the school's radar, and you really can't risk some freshman getting uncomfortable and going home and telling his mom about it.
    If this is the case, then I'd say you just need to make the judgment call based on who goes to your club. Are they mostly upperclassmen? If you have a teacher sponsor or a teacher who pokes his head in, do they teach upperclassmen or have an understanding of the differences of Japanese culture? The last two years of our club we were lucky enough to have both a (mostly) mature audience and a teacher sponsor who was a comic book fan and had an understanding of anime.

But, if you're not absolutely sure, nothing is worth possibly jeopardizing the existence of your club to watch this. If there's one thing I learned running our high school club, it was how to fly under the school's radar, and you really can't risk some freshman getting uncomfortable and going home and telling his mom about it.
    I think this will have to be the case, or we find a way to skip questionable scenes. The teachers who sit in would definitely not be comfortable with us watching it unless we told them we were skipping it and had the situation covered. There is one student, the one who's mentally challenged, who would almost definitely tell despite being a Senior (maybe a Junior...). There's also a few sophomores who might rat us out, so I'm thinking it might wind up not happening.
    Thanks for the advice guys. I don't know why my friend couldn't just tell me there was a nipple, he was being all elusive about it. I think he was trying to trick me into watching mature material...Like always...Jerk...
  • I remember having this same problem when I was in high school. Me and my friend did manage to show the first episode of Cowboy Bebop without any issues (the experiment being, can we get people who haven't seen anime to become interested in it), but one other time when I wanted to use some material from Texhnolyze, I had to rip the episode and edit out some of the video, leaving the audio intact, to do so. Unfortunately the only way to get around the problem is to have the adult supervisor watch it first and they will determine whether it can be shown or not.
  • I remember having this same problem when I was in high school. Me and my friend did manage to show the first episode of Cowboy Bebop without any issues (the experiment being, can we get people who haven't seen anime to become interested in it), but one other time when I wanted to use some material from Texhnolyze, I had to rip the episode and edit out some of the video, leaving the audio intact, to do so. Unfortunately the only way to get around the problem is to have the adult supervisor watch it first and they will determine whether it can be shown or not.
    There's no way the adults who sit in on my club would ever watch this stuff on their own...It's kinda ridiculous.
  • If you're worried about all of ten seconds of Rei's pale white boobs, I'd totally love to see what you would say to the first five minutes of End of Evangelion.
  • If you're worried about all of ten seconds of Rei's pale white boobs, I'd totally love to see what you would say to the first five minutes of End of Evangelion.
    Har! Or the second half where it's mega-Rei.
  • Har! Or the second half where it's mega-Rei.
    I actually talked to Tiffany Grant about the Shinji/Auska scene at the beginning of End of Eva. I never thought I'd hear a 4' 11" texas woman talking about rape and masturbation in front of a room of otaku.
    Har! Or the second half where it's mega-Rei.
    Indeed. While I understand you problem, Axel (I've had this issue a lot also), people need to not be so scared of the occasional nipple.
  • people need to not be so scared of the occasional nipple.
    They need to, but it's going to be a long time before they stop, so we'd better get used to it.
  • people need to not be so scared of the occasional nipple.
    They need to, but it's going to be a long time before they stop, so we'd better get used to it.
    Oh, I understand. It's not really worth talking at length about because the same argument has been tossed over for decades, and I get tired of ranting. Sometimes it's just better to stay on the sidelines and do your own thing.
  • Let's not turn this into an act of social revolution. Showing Eva would probably just get Axel's club in trouble, not entice change.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    Let's not turn this into an act of social revolution. Showing Eva would probably just get Axel's club in trouble, not entice change.
    I'm going to paraphrase a quote of Scrym's that I think fits well with this discussion "It's not a tiny little anime club's job to change America's Puritanical roots."
    Post edited by Geo on