This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101117 - Looney Tunes

2»

Comments

• One weird thing about the DVDs WB put out is that the episode with the guy whose name rhymes with Applejacks is on the first season set twice.
    That's really the only episode that matters.
  • I think my all time favorite Loony Tune short was the one where Elmer chases Bugs into a theater and bugs proceeds to torture Elmer by performing The Barber of Seville. It stuck in my mind so bad that when my sister's high school band played pieces from that same musical, it was all I could do to hold back bursting into Bugs' version of it.
  • The guest even mentioned that his kids had a problem with Ghostbusters because of special effects, which were revolutionary at the time and I have always thought held up great!
    I watched The Return of the Jedi with a group of friends last month. One friend of a friend was there, a guy I didn't know, and he annoyed me all the way through the movie. At every point there was a special effect which didn't stand up perfectly (and this is 30 years after the movie was made) he would snort and laugh. He wouldn't laugh at the funny parts, only at the slightly less-than-lifelike effects.

We get it. It's an old movie. It isn't perfect.

Then I watched some of Avatar the other day. It looks just as fake, in so many ways. The Navi move in such unlifelike ways it's painful. I'm not going to snigger, but there is a lesson here. EVERY movie with special effects is going to look dated within just a few years. Accept it, and move on. Don't snigger.
  • I watched The Return of the Jedi with a group of friends last month. One friend of a friend was there, a guy I didn't know, and he annoyed me all the way through the movie. At every point there was a special effect which didn't stand up perfectly (and this is 30 years after the movie was made) he would snort and laugh. He wouldn't laugh at the funny parts, only at the slightly less-than-lifelike effects.
    Get him to watch TRON, he'll have a fucking aneurysm.
  • edited November 2010
    I watched The Return of the Jedi with a group of friends last month. One friend of a friend was there, a guy I didn't know, and he annoyed me all the way through the movie. At every point there was a special effect which didn't stand up perfectly (and this is 30 years after the movie was made) he would snort and laugh. He wouldn't laugh at the funny parts, only at the slightly less-than-lifelike effects.

We get it. It's an old movie. It isn't perfect.
    Right. It's hilarious that it was made before "good" special effects, right? What did they think they were doing back then? Trying to make movies? It's funny that they couldn't understand that, thirty years from the time they made the movie, they would be old and that all old things suck.

I love that time will always punish these assholes. Time doesn't stop for anyone, and eventually this bozo is gonna see and hear people laughing and talking about how the movies, music, fashion, books, games, comics, etc. he likes now are old, dated, and lame. If you can't look past tech that looks dated to you and just enjoy the fun of the movie, then maybe it would be a better idea for you to do something more productive with your time. Don't even get me started on ruining movie fun for other people.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Get him to watch TRON, he'll have a fucking aneurysm.
    An aneurysm of AWESOME!
  • The worst thing is that there will be kids growing up now, who, when told about Star Wars, will look to the new ones first due to their improved visuals.
  • The worst thing is that there will be kids growing up now, who, when told about Star Wars, will look to the new ones first due to their improved visuals.
    There are armies of parents trying to prevent this. If they do it properly, then their children will do the same, and so on, for all eternity.

Also, even if a child is tainted, they will learn better when they grow up, if they are smart. If they're morons, then it really doesn't matter.