This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Solium Infernum

edited November 2010 in Video Games
Fellow Fiends,

Satan has disappeared, now is the time to reach for eternal glory! It is up to each one of us to prove our worthiness and seize control of the Infernal Throne. Which among you will fight, deceive, and guile your way to the top?

Solium Infernum is a Turn-Based Strategy game which pits players against each other in a battle for domination of Hell. Players create their Archfiend avatars, customized with to their play style, to command legions, purchase artifacts, conduct rituals, and serve as the figurehead for diplomacy with other players. Their goal is to seize control of the Throne of Hell through several ways. Either earn enough prestige points throughout the game to be elected to the position by the Infernal Conclave, manipulate votes and rig the election, or take the throne by force.

While it may seem that the realm of Hell would be wrought with chaos, it's actually governed with procedure and pleasantries. In order to even think of attacking a fellow Archfiend, you must produce a reason or vendetta against them. Of course, there are ways to make your intentions known; demand tribute from them, or even insult them openly in front of the Conclave to raise their anger. Antagonize another player for long enough, and you may even enter a permanent blood feud.

Capture territory with you hellish legions, which can be augmented with Praetors (generals), artifacts, and rituals, while securing strongholds and places of power throughout the realm. Bid on new legions and relics through the Infernal Bazaar.

There is a demo available here and you can read the manual here (PDF). I'm interested in starting a play by e-mail game in the future, and getting the full six people would be awesome. If you like the demo, the game is $30.

Comments

• I will try the demo this weekend, and unless it's terrible, I will buy the game and be up in this.
  • edited November 2010
    I will try the demo this weekend, and unless it's terrible, I will buy the game and be up in this.
    The demo has multiplayer capabilities up to 25 turns. I can start a demo game for all who are interested and we can try it out together (I haven't bought the game yet, waiting to get the full version when there is enough interested to play a proper game).
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'll try the demo as well.
  • This sounds really cool, downloadin' the demo.
  • edited November 2010
    Don't have time for vidja games this week, but if everyone ends up liking it, I'd be down in the future.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Read title as: Sodium Infomercial.

Might give the game a try.
  • The Rock Paper Shotgun playthrough of SI is worth a read.
  • Anyone get a chance to try this out?
  • I am trying it out currently.
  • I played quite a bit of single player. This game actually has a lot of good stuff going on which I will discuss. The only bad thing about the game is that it is actually quite random in terms of getting the kinds of tribute you need and such. However, it does have two really interesting mechanics that I like and want to put in other games.

First, they have the objective card mechanic, which is just like route cards in Ticket to Ride. It's very interesting to see those in a turn based strategy game. It's cool that you have something else smaller and more specific to do than just kill everyone else. Then you can draw more objectives and all that. It would be super cool to see an Advance Wars-ish game where everyone had a different secret objective such as "capture that island."

The other thing I really like is the diplomacy aspect. Games like Diplomacy have a problem where none of the actual diplomacy is enforced by the rules of the game. Civ has a problem where AI players obey all these diplomacy rules, but that whole part of the game disappears in multiplayer. Solium Infernum has found a clever way to make diplomacy work. As a side effect, they make it very feasible and possible to win with a strategy that is less heavy on military, something that other games fail at. Gandi does not do well in multiplayer Civ, but he could do better on Solium. Here's how it works.

You want to attack someone. Well, you can't. You need to have a reason to have a Vendetta against them. You have to use one of the three diplomatic tools available to you.

The first option is to demand something from them. You put your prestige points on the table and make a demand. If they acquiesce to your demand, you keep your prestige points, and you get what you demanded. If they refuse, they take your prestige points, and then if you want you can claim a vendetta. Even if they meet your demand, you have to wait before making another demand. Depending on your ranking, you have to wait X turns before making more demands.

The second option is to insult someone. If you insult them you wager some number of prestige points. Let's say 10. If they accept the insult, you take that many prestige from them, so you would actually get your 10 back plus 10 of theirs. If they refuse the insult, they get your 10 prestige, but then they MUST claim a vendetta. If you want to fight someone, you can just keep insulting them until it happens. If they really want to hold out, you might drain them of all their prestige first. Like with demands, you have to wait a few turns before insulting them again if they accept the insult.

The third option is to give a gift to someone. Gift giving is a tricky move. If they accept the gift, then they can't insult or make demands of you for X turns depending on the size of the gift. If they refuse the gift you get the gift back, but you lose some prestige. The receiver actually has a third option which is to humiliate the emissary. If this happens, they actually get prestige for being a jerk. However, the gift sender must claim vendetta the next turn, or lose even more prestige. If you win a vendetta against someone who humiliated your emissary you get a prestige bonus for revenge.

Basically you have these prestige points flowing around the board, and having a lot of them can give you great defensive power. You might lose prestige, but if that means keeping one guy off your back while you deal with your primary foe, that's pretty good.

The rest of the Solium game has some issues, and I don't think it would actually work so well, but these two mechanics are quite good, and I would like to see them mixed in with some other games.
  • The only bad thing about the game is that it is actually quite random in terms of getting the kinds of tribute you need and such.
    As far as I'm aware, the stuff you buy at the Bazaar has randomly generated stats which then drive the tribute requirements.
  • edited November 2010
    The only bad thing about the game is that it is actually quite random in terms of getting the kinds of tribute you need and such.
    As far as I'm aware, the stuff you buy at the Bazaar has randomly generated stats which then drive the tribute requirements.
    Yes, but the tribute itself is random. In the game I played I randomly got way too much fire and dots, and not nearly enough ghosts and water. I tried to choose water and ghost as much as I could, but it would come up all fire over and over. It would be better if it had a drafting mechanism more similar to Ticket to Ride where there are shared face-up tribute cards to choose from, or taking a face down card is also an option if you don't like what you see. Also, they should let you take 3 of 5 instead of 2 of 3.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • While I agree that the tribute you receive is random, you can increase the number of cards you draw by modifying certain attributes of your avatar (I think it's charisma?). The game I played had me choose 3/5 when I started out and could be upgraded down the line.
  • While I agree that the tribute you receive is random, you can increase the number of cards you draw by modifying certain attributes of your avatar (I think it's charisma?). The game I played had me choose 3/5 when I started out and could be upgraded down the line.
    Yeah, what stat do you increase to get more orders per turn?
  • Yeah, what stat do you increase to get more orders per turn?
    RTFM
  • Bump, game is $25 now and I want to get a multiplayer game going. DO IT, COME ON!
  • I'll play and I can probably get another.
    RTFM
    The FM is pretty rough but there are also:
    1. humorous tutorials
    2. an RPS AAR of SI
    3. a wiki
  • Bump again...?
  • Hey awesome, I already posted those things.