This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How not to solder.

edited November 2010 in Everything Else

After having my life taken over by work and family obligations for months, I finally had a free Saturday to work on an Arduino project. It's the LoL Board. When it's finished, it will be kind of fun to play with. However, the soldering requirements are brutal. My soldering skills were non-existent so taking on this exercise has really helped. As you can see by the picture, I'm making progress. When I first started, I managed to fill a half a dozen holes with solder that needed to remain open. I don't know if you have ever tried to de-solder, but it is a gigantic pain in the ass. Soldering itself is a smelly, time consuming affair. Yet, soldiering, learning electronics and figuring out my way around a multi-meter has been a very satisfying experience. It makes you look at gadgets differently. I'm starting to look at old electronics lying around the house as part sources for future projects.

When the Thing-o-Matic finally gets here, I'll be ready for it.

Comments

• Even your improved soldering, you are having some issues. See how the PCB is all shiny? That's because you are melting the board, not so good. It's probably because you are holding the iron there too long, or touching the wrong spot. Also, see how some of the solders are balling up? That's not good because it's not making a proper bond.

Also, desoldering is very easy with a solder wick. If you don't have any wick, get some right away. It's basically a copper braid that sucks up solder. Just heat the solder and put the wick near it, and it will suck it all right up. Then just cut off the end of the wick that is all soldered up.

Remember, soldering should be very quick and precise. Make sure the iron is very hot. I usually put mine at or close to the hottest available setting. Put your component through the hole. Bring the iron in to touch the pad (the metal ring around the hole) and the component simultaneously. Both need to be hot so the solder chemically bonds with both. Should only take a second or two to heat up. Bring in the solder and remove once you have enough, but before there's too much. Then remove the iron. Make sure to clean the iron with the wet sponge.
  • Everything Scott said is true. Just to make sure, are you using something to help position your board to make things easier? I use this and love it:

• Everything Scott said is true. Just to make sure, are you using something to help position your board to make things easier? I use this and love it:
    I got the Adafruit recommended Panavise Jr.

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath;=8&products;_id=151&zenid;=777b349ae9102d415f0c357e8c1c4bd4
  • I didn't clean the flux off the board, so some of the shine is from that. No doubt I've burned the board in spots. If this thing works at all, I'll be amazed. But I have to sold(i)er on. LOL. I have a set of Exacto third hands. In fact, it's holding the board in the picture. Eventually, I'll get it right, even if I kill a few boards in the process. I'll post the final product whenever I get it done.
  • I didn't clean the flux off the board, so some of the shine is from that.
    If you use solder that has flux built in, which you should, then you don't need to use any flux. Almost all solder you get as a hobbyist is going to have flux already in it.
  • I'm not using separate flux. The flux in the solder boils and runs onto the board. You can see this happening with the magnifier. Also, I agree that the use of the wick for desoldering is easy enough for solder on top of the board, but solder that has seeped into holes is a freaking nightmare. I have both wick and pump and in the end, I used a hammer and nail...
  • I'm not using separate flux. The flux in the solder boils and runs onto the board. You can see this happening with the magnifier. Also, I agree that the use of the wick for desoldering is easy enough for solder on top of the board, but solder that has seeped into holes is a freaking nightmare. I have both wick and pump and in the end, I used a hammer and nail...
    Sounds to me like you are wicking improperly. I can wick up solder from the other side of the board through the hole. I'm thinking your iron isn't hot enough maybe.