This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All those "Tactics" games

edited November 2010 in Video Games
I really am starting to like these. I like Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Nippon Ichi Games, Fire Emblem, etc.
Do you guys have any favorites or suggestions?
Just wondering.

P.S.: If anyone has any info about Final Fantasy Tactics games coming out soon, that would be awesome. I know there will be a port of the original to the iPhone/iPod Touch soon.

Comments

• Advance Wars is near the top of the Genre. Wesnoth is good as well.

The Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem ones get annoying, though, as they actually take little strategy or tactics, and are more like puzzle games. (Hint: the solution to all of the puzzles in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced is "surround each enemy one by one and attack with your strongest attacks, healing when necessary.")
  • edited November 2010
    Was at a friend's house and we ended up playing some Front Mission. It's fun but I stopped after I realised I was going to have to go through all the menus to equip each part of each of my squads five mechs using just the gamepad.

Might just stick with FFTA.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Also, the combat portion of X-Com: Mission UFO.
  • You may try diving into real time strategy games like command and conquer (it's not nearly as fiddly as Starcraft and a lot more campy). Strategy changes a lot when you have to worry about things in real time rather than turn by turn.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm not sure if Advance Wars would be more Puzzle stratergy than Tactics RPG.

While I have no problem with Rym liking it, it's similar to Starcraft in that before you can begin playing stratergy, you have to get your zerg rush build order/resource collection memorised.

It'd be interesting to see Advanced Wars with a tetris style "This turn you get these new units, place them on your factories, and here's what you're going to get next turn.".

Maybe Rym should add "Advanced Wars CE" to the to-do list.
  • Get the original Final Fantasy Tactics if you can. If you're used to FFTA it's almost like playing a completely different game.
  • Anyone here played Tactics Ogre?
  • Anyone here played Tactics Ogre?
    I played a few of them way back. One on...GBA (I think) and the original on SNES.
  • Are Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle the same game or different games?
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    Are Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle the same game or different games?
    I wonder about that too?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • They look to be quite different, Ogre Battle looks like a standard menu-battle RPG. They are, however, both made by Quest, so they probably kept the characters and setting.
  • Do you guys have any favorites or suggestions?
    Nippon Ichi's TRPGs (Disgaea 1, 2, or 3, Phantom Brave, La Puchelle, that other one I never remember) are all pretty good. I'm not quite sure if I actually like the games, or just their sense of humor, though.
  • I had 100+ hours clocked on FFTA. The only reason I stopped playing was because I lost it.
  • I have enjoyed the first Disgaea quite a lot, only downside in there is that it's pretty grindastic. One has to repeat missions multiple times to build levels to characters to move on.
  • edited November 2010
    I have enjoyed the first Disgaea quite a lot, only downside in there is that it's pretty grindastic. One has to repeat missions multiple times to build levels to characters to move on.
    This is true, but with a caveat. There are levels meant for grinding to alleviate some of the tedium. That being said, I would only recommend playing an NIS game on a portable system so you can do something else while you grind. Beating the Uber Prinny Baal takes HOURS of grinding to gain the THOUSANDS of levels you need to trade blows with it.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • I have enjoyed the first Disgaea quite a lot, only downside in there is that it's pretty grindastic. One has to repeat missions multiple times to build levels to characters to move on.
    This is true, but with a caveat. There are levels meant for grinding to alleviate some of the tedium. That being said, I would only recommend playing an NIS game on a portable system so you can do something else while you grind. Beating the Uber Prinny Baal takes HOURS of grinding to gain the THOUSANDS of levels you need to trade blows with it.
    I agree I originally got Disgaea on PS2, but never finished it. Now I have been playing that on PSP and possibility to play it on a bed before sleep and on school between lessons (or during them) makes it much more enjoyable.
    I agree I originally got Disgaea on PS2, but never finished it. Now I have been playing that on PSP and possibility to play it on a bed before sleep and on school between lessons (or during them) makes it much more enjoyable.
    If you want another good NIS game, get ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman. Sentai-themed Mysterious Dungeon game that makes fun of EVERYTHING.
    If you want another good NIS game, get ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman. Sentai-themed Mysterious Dungeon game that makes fun of EVERYTHING.
    Already playing it.
    Already playing it.
    It's things like that that make me want to buy an old PSP.
  • edited November 2010
    I have enjoyed the first Disgaea quite a lot, only downside in there is that it's pretty grindastic. One has to repeat missions multiple times to build levels to characters to move on.
    Already playing it.
    It's things likethatthat make me want to buy an old PSP.
    If you find used one on cheap somewhere go for it. I did and have no regrets.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • I am playing a new game called Forum Pyramid Defense.

Already playing it.

Pew pew pew!
    Already playing it.
  • Addressing Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre, Tactics Ogre is a grid and turn battle system, while Ogre Battle features a real time map in which your units engage each other in Menu style RPG battles as you work toward an objective like taking over the castle and defeating the boss etc. I'd recommend the one for the N64.

While the game and battle mechanics are fun in Ogre Battle, I'd say it seriously lacks character depth. Also, I remember there being a penalty for engaging in too many battles, like your character became more and more dark aligned, which would be an annoying disadvantage.
  • I've played Ogre Battle 64. If you do so, I highly suggest using a FAQ. The official strategy guide is actually the best, if you can get a copy somewhere. The game has a real-time clock in it, and there's a lot of arbitrary bullshit. I remember things like "If you want to have angels in your army, go to this map on this day and talk to this guy in this town at this time." There's basically know way to know that stuff without the strategy guide.
  • edited November 2010
    I am playing a new game called Forum Pyramid Defense.
    Already playing it.
    Pew pew pew!If you want another good NIS game, get ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman. Sentai-themed Mysterious Dungeon game that makes fun of EVERYTHING.
    Already playing it.It's things likethatthat make me want to buy an old PSP.If you find used one on cheap somewhere go for it. I did and have no regrets.The only winning move.. is not to play.
  • edited November 2010
    Disgaea is fun, but the grinding has always been a hurdle for me. The game starts with a relatively simple natural progression, but the difficulty curve rises exponentially, and I can't seem to bring myself to get through that leveling wall.

I love Wesnoth, though. I've been playing it on my iPhone/iPad, and I find it great that you can play with people who are on the PC.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I am playing a new game called Forum Pyramid Defense.
    Already playing it.
    Pew pew pew!If you want another good NIS game, get ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman. Sentai-themed Mysterious Dungeon game that makes fun of EVERYTHING.
    Already playing it.
    It's things likethatthat make me want to buy an old PSP.If you find used one on cheap somewhere go for it. I did and have no regrets.The only winning move.. is not to play.Unfortunately, that is also the only losing move.
  • I agree I originally got Disgaea on PS2, but never finished it. Now I have been playing that on PSP and possibility to play it on a bed before sleep and on school between lessons (or during them) makes it much more enjoyable.
    Tactics games work best as portable games as far as I'm concerned. It's much easier to grind your units or play those big maps that take an hour or so to clear when you're on a road trip or something than it is sitting at your couch.
  • I've played Ogre Battle 64. If you do so, I highly suggest using a FAQ. The official strategy guide is actually the best, if you can get a copy somewhere. The game has a real-time clock in it, and there's a lot of arbitrary bullshit. I remember things like "If you want to have angels in your army, go to this map on this day and talk to this guy in this town at this time." There's basically know way to know that stuff without the strategy guide.
    I loved that game so much SO MUCH. For a long time it was my model of what a game should be. Loved that game. Formations actually did things! bwah.
  • I loved that game so much SO MUCH. For a long time it was my model of what a game should be. Loved that game. Formations actually did things! bwah.
    Yeah, other than the aformentioned arbitrary bullshit stuff you need the FAQ for, the game is kinda ok.
  • Yeah, other than the aformentioned arbitrary bullshit stuff you need the FAQ for, the game is kinda ok.
    Yeah there was the arbitrary bullshit, but the other stuff packed around it was just so compelling to 12 year old me. The aforementioned formations, where people did different things in different positions, man I could still just play that game forever.