This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• Hey Scott, I need to learn some Python, and maybe some C++ or Perl. Do you have any good resources to help me get started?
    BAM.
  • Hey Scott, I need to learn some Python, and maybe some C++ or Perl. Do you have any good resources to help me get started?
    BAM.
    Wowee!
  • Secret of programming: I get paid to Google things and follow the instructions. When Google has no answer, Stackoverflow.com. Do that and you will go far.
  • Secret of programming: I get paid to Google things and follow the instructions. When Google has no answer, Stackoverflow.com. Do that and you will go far.
    Grand!
  • In this very small example, it doesn't look like the template engine is really saving that much work. But as I'm sure you can imagine, as the complexity of the HTML increases, the template engine becomes indispensable. The major benefit is that it allows you to put the HTML and code in separate files. This is a breath of fresh air after you have been writing HTML that is nested inside of print statements and quotes. It also completely separates the front-end from the back end, which is a must when developer and designers team up. There are numerous other advantages, but I won't list them all. I recommend it highly, even just to print out one HTML file.
    Cheers, thanks for the example and explanation. For my own website I actually wrote a CMS that works like this. I have files which only have content, and then I have files would only have HTML, and I run-script which combines all. When I need a new page, all I need to do is writing a content page, add all works out.

I think the next thing I will learn with programming is this template system. Thanks for the heads up.
  • edited December 2010
    If you can't afford money or time for university, you can still take Computer Science 101 at MIT for free. 24 video lectures and more.
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008/

It actually looks a lot better than the CS1 that I got at RIT, but maybe that has changed since I was there. Of course, I knew everything taught in this class while I was in high school, so...
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If I could download all the videos and materials, I would work through this during a long cruise. But the videos are all embedded. Getvid might work though, so I'll look into again tomorrow.
  • edited December 2010
    If I could download all the videos and materials, I would work through this during a long cruise. But the videos are all embedded. Getvid might work though, so I'll look into again tomorrow.
    You can download the videos. Look at the gray tabs underneath the video. The rightmost tab has download links. I think they even have RSS so you can just podcast download in iTunes. This is MIT OPEN Courseware after all.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Cool. I only glanced through it, as I'm busy now. I'll set them downloading some time later.
  • Hmm, I wonder if they have Graphic Design 101, Typography 101, or Japanese 101.
  • Well, I know what I'm going to be using as filler when I make anime discs to give to people.
  • It actually looks a lot better than the CS1 that I got at RIT, but maybe that has changed since I was there. Of course, I knew everything taught in this class while I was in high school, so...
    It's changed a lot. It's called "Problem Based Intro to CS" and it uses Python with a little bit of Turtle to introduce problem solving with CS. It was super easy for me, though some people (that shouldn't have been CS majors) struggled. I switched out during the Data Structures class because I'm more interested in the IT stuff like networking, web, etc.
  • I switched out during the Data Structures class because I'm more interested in the IT stuff like networking, web, etc.
    It's always very telling about people when you see which course caused people to drop the CS major.
  • There's also an Introduction to Algorithms class up on the MIT Open Courseware, but I am no confident than the CS 101 is a sufficient prerequisite.
  • edited December 2010
    Scott, you should read:
    Universal Principles of Design by William Lidwell, Kritina Holden and Jill Butler - Really great book. It explains a lot in an easily understandable manner.
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst - This is the typographer's bible, if you want to work with type properly, read this book.
    Grid Systems in Graphic Design by Josef Muller-Brockmann - Grids, know them, use them.
    Visual Grammar by Christian Leborg - Beautiful book on composition/ visual concepts.

Reading these books would put you ahead of most designers, knowledge wise.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • edited December 2010
    After some thought I've decided to come back to this. I recently came across an interesting game called Space Station 13 (You and several others are stuck on a space station and there is usually someone out to wreak as much havoc as possible, played out from a rouge-like perspective.) but trying to play it is near impossible due to lag and overall aged design. So, I'd like to make my own.

Plan: Have some kind of basic prototype (Players moving and interacting on a tile grid.) in about three months.
    Features to include:
    Stage 1
    • Players are put on a space station, laid out like a RL dungeon.
    • Players move around LttP style using keyboard.
    • 10-16 players to a game.
    Stage 2
    • Basic picking up, selecting and using of objects.
    • Interacting with static objects
    Stage 3
    • Alterable tile world (Blown out walls, broken doors, etc..)
    • Non-player entities (Maintainance robots, aliens, etc..).
    • Basic dynamics (Sensing when an area has been de-pressurised/exploded/gassed/set on fire.).
    I'm going to wait and buy Head-First C# and would like to try using MonoDevelop as an IDE (Any other recommendations?) as it's open source but I'm not sure about how using something designed for Mono/.Net will differ from plain C#.

Questions:
    1) What is your general appraisal of the idea?
    2) Any thought's on how to go about tile and sprite graphics? Libaries/Code examples/Articles appreciated. Would settle for rouge-like square-at-a-time movement but would like LttP smoothish movement, netcode permitting.
    3) Having a basic understanding of ports, packets and addresses, what do I need to learn/use or integrate to achieve smooth network play?
    3b)Are there libraries/functions I can send data and instructions too and from or should I learn to code them myself? If the latter, any pointers?

If you need any more specifics, don't hesitate to ask. I would be more verbose but I'm not sure what information is relevent so it's more efficient if people ask.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So, They Were Eleven the game. I approve. ;^)
  • So,They Were Eleventhe game. I approve. ;^)
    I decided not to mention TW11 as I'd then have to spoil it by saying "But this time someone actually might be trying to kill everyone.".
  • I'm happy with my current progress on my current progress, an all-in-one tool for keeping track of and displaying data about my podcast, which will hopefully one day automate blog posting. The results can be found on this page.

I've sort of come up against a wall in regards to sorting the reviews by author when there are TWO authors on for some books. I can think of some ways to do this, but I think it'll have to wait for a bit until I've worked through more of the MIT Open Courseware material.
  • I've sort of come up against a wall in regards to sorting the reviews by author when there are TWO authors on for some books.
    I could tell you what to do, but I don't know the rules for sorting when there is more than one author. Is it in some sort of AP/MLA style guide?
  • I'm pretty sure the standard is to list the authors in the order they appear in the source material.
  • I'm pretty sure the standard is to list the authors in the order they appear in the source material.
    Well, there's no way for the computer to know that unless you provide the source material to be analyzed. Otherwise, you just have to provide some extra data by hand. The thing is, ordering those few weirdos by hand is just as much work as entering the extra data by hand.
  • I've sort of come up against a wall in regards to sorting the reviews by author when there are TWO authors on for some books.
    I could tell you what to do, but I don't know the rules for sorting when there is more than one author. Is it in some sort of AP/MLA style guide?
    My point is that if I wait until I've learned a bit more about programming, or re-learned more about Object Oriented programming again after two years of not trying it, and read up more about what libraries do what, any solution will be simple to implement. Instead of thinking too hard about one solution, I'll be able to try out any. I'm saving this problem to be more of a learning experience.
  • edited December 2010
    Started a new project during the break.

Making a visually advanced action Arr-Pee-Gee. Slow but steady progress.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Arr-Pee-Gee
    I've recently started pronounceing JRPG as Jerpeger in the Yatzee style.

In other news, my friends across the road turn out to be a Java programmer and a C# programmer so I stand to pick up some help there.
  • hehe They always have good service!

_________

MacGyver Seasons 1-7 DVDhehe They always have good service!

_________

MacGyver Seasons 1-7 DVD
    hehe They always have good service!

_________

MacGyver Seasons 1-7 DVD
  • edited January 2011
    Started anew projectduring the break.
    Update: Working FOV + Torch effect added. Map rendering issues have been fixed and I've implemented a not yet working correctly magic system. Windows support was added.

For the next week I plan on having the magic system working in addition to having some graphical spell effects. Maybe even monsters?

EDIT: Another major milestone for the week will be implementing a new rendering system to improve performance. This will allow for things such as day/night cycles and larger map areas. I think :/
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I recently picked up a C++ book from the free-shed at the garbage and recycling drop. I already knew the basics of programming (variables, functions, while loops, etc.) but I hadn't really done much with it and wanted to start writing useful stuff.

Now I'm beginning to get an idea of what classes and objects are (awesome) and how to use them (awesomely). I'm working on a sort of text-based virtual pet to get some more practice (I'm still a complete novice) and I'm up to 150 lines of code, which is 50 more than I've ever written in one program before; I'm a little less than halfway done.

I'm having a lot of fun with this.
  • edited February 2011
    I've been working with my arduinos recently. Last Sunday, I made a motion detector that sent a signal to my computer to play "Hello, Again" by The Cars when someone walked into the room. And, of course, I'm still working on my driftduino project, but that really needs some sensors before it gets going.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I've thought about getting an arduino, but I don't have any knowledge of electronics (capacitors, resistors, and the like) to speak of.