This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• People who promote functional programming are like people who promote DVORAK keyboards.

I do agree that encapsulation is whatev, though.

Also, that US map he uses in the video reveals him to be "that guy."
  • Apreche said:

It's a reference to The Man in the High Castle.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle
  • Andrew said:

Apreche said:

It's a reference to The Man in the High Castle.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle
    A reference "that guy" would make.
  • It's a popular and current show. It's possible that this alone is not enough of a Cat Piss Man indicator.
  • Rym said:

It's a popular and current show. It's possible that this alone is not enough of a Cat Piss Man indicator.

I don't know if he's cat piss level. Like I said, he's DVORAK keyboard level.
  • I don't agree functional is the same as DVORAK. It's likely you just don't play in performant code land often enough for it to make a difference.
  • Andrew said:

I don't agree functional is the same as DVORAK. It's likely you just don't play in performant code land often enough for it to make a difference.

I do, but I live in Java land where "Zero-GC" is the performance order of the day =(

• Andrew said:

I don't agree functional is the same as DVORAK. It's likely you just don't play in performant code land often enough for it to make a difference.

There's a time and a place for everything. My days of technological zealotry are long gone. Anyone posting anything like X methodology is bad, Y software is great, Z company is the embodiment of satan, are all getting a thumbs down from me. Use whatever you want. Strictly following any ideology is almost always the wrong answer.
  • I actually really like Jon Blow's presentation on the current state of languages
  • Apreche said:

Andrew said:

There's a time and a place for everything. My days of technological zealotry are long gone. Anyone posting anything like X methodology is bad, Y software is great, Z company is the embodiment of satan, are all getting a thumbs down from me. Use whatever you want. Strictly following any ideology is almost always the wrong answer.
    If you actually watched the video, you would have seen he actually suggests a mixture of OO + Functional/Procedural as the best way. He is mainly railing against OO-Only zealots, which is what is mainly taught these days.

• That's the Braid guy who is talking at PAX East? What little I know about him is not positive.
  • edited March 2016
    Andrew said:

I actually really like Jon Blow's presentation on the current state of languages

TL;DW?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2016
    Pegu said:

Andrew said:

I actually really like Jon Blow's presentation on the current state of languages

TL;DW?
    Yet another language someone is making. https://github.com/BSVino/JaiPrimer/blob/master/JaiPrimer.md
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • GUNS. GUNS. GUNS.
  • Andrew said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

If you actually watched the video, you would have seen he actually suggests a mixture of OO + Functional/Procedural as the best way. He is mainly railing against OO-Only zealots, which is what is mainly taught these days.

That's kind of why I floated back from Java to C++.
    You can program C++ defensively in an OO way (paying special attention).
    While it can also be completely C functional as well.

Also doing I/O feels easier or makes more sense in the majority of cases.

It's not perfect by any means.
  • Andrew said:

This video series has been quite interesting. Thanks for the link!
  • Have you guys tried Quadnary coding?

It's the wave of the future!
  • edited April 2016
    Fight!

I'm actually surprised how close this is.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I use both. If the tabs go too far, I'll back up and do individual spacing from there till it's just right.
  • If you tab, you die.
  • Apreche said:

If you tab, you die.

• tabtabtabtabtabtabtabtabtab...
  • Apreche said:

If you tab, you die.

Seriously, soft tabs or I may murder you and no jury (composed of good programmers) will convict me.
  • Depends. Company code? Two spaces per level, just like the standard says. My code? Tabs.
  • edited April 2016
    Neito said:

Depends. Company code? Two spaces per level, just like the standard says. My code? Tabs.

FOUR

FOUR SPACES

Here is why anyone who uses tabs must be killed.

Let's say you have your text editor and some code like this:

return_value = function(this, function, sure, has, a, lot, of,
    arguments, I, had, better, put this,
    on, multiple, lines)

On lines 2 and 3, how do you indent? Even if your tab size is set to 2, it might not line up. You will have to combine tabs and spaces, a big no-no.

Whether it lines up or not, it's going to look right in your text editor. But then you share the code. Let's say your tab length was set to 4, and lines 2 and 3 have 4 tabs each. That's 16 spaces. But you don't know what anyone else's text editor is set to! What if their tab length is 2, or 8, or some other unholy number? What is the tab length set to on the Github Web UI? Your code will look awful and be all fucked up everywhere except for your personal text editor.

If you use soft tabs, where pressing the tab character actually creates four spaces, and never use the actual tab character, your code will always look correct no matter where it is displayed. It doesn't matter which text editor, or web site, or whatev.

Spaces only, or I cut you.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2016
    tabs converted to spaces by the text editor.
    4 space tabs every time.

I once worked with someone who used 8 spaces, he was crazy.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Apreche said:

If you use soft tabs, where pressing the tab character actually creates four spaces, and never use the actual tab character, your code will always look correct no matter where it is displayed. It doesn't matter which text editor, or web site, or whatev.

Wait are there people who use actual tabs? As in "\t"? I assumed the tabs vs spaces debate was more of a typing thing (space bar vs tab key). Fuck you people who use actual tabs.
  • Apreche said:

Wait are there people who use actual tabs? As in "\t"? I assumed the tabs vs spaces debate was more of a typing thing (space bar vs tab key). Fuck you people who use actual tabs.
    Yeah there are people who use actual tabs. Similarly I'm not a fan of people who use spaces only and then can't be consistent throughout their code.
  • Obviously you press the tab key. Who would press the spacebar four times? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
  • Apreche said:

Obviously you press the tab key. Who would press the spacebar four times? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Hence my confusion.
    sK0pe said:

Yeah there are people who use actual tabs. Similarly I'm not a fan of people who use spaces only and then can't be consistent throughout their code.

Agreed. Consistency is the most important thing.