This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Game Theory

edited December 2010 in Flamewars
Call me Ishmael, but I really have a very basic understanding of game theory. I know the prisoner's dilemma, and know a little Nash from A Beautiful Mind, but my basic understanding boils down to: do all you can to advance yourself; if that is not enough do what you can to fuck the other person over.

So let's talk about game theory.

Comments

• Why is this under flamewars?
  • Why is this under flamewars?
    A flamewars category on the Front Row Crew Forums seems a bit redundant anyway.
  • edited December 2010
    Extra Credits is a good series about video game theory.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited December 2010
    Call me Ishmael, but I really have a very basic understanding of game theory. I know the prisoner's dilemma, and know a little Nash from A Beautiful Mind, but my basic understanding boils down to: do all you can to advance yourself; if that is not enough do what you can to fuck the other person over.
    No. Fucking the other person over is only a good thing if it helps you win.
    Always maximise expected utility; that is the cardinal rule.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Extra Creditsis a good series about video game theory.
    That's about the theory of making games, but is it actually about game theory? I've watched one or two, and it didn't seem like it.

My girlfriend and I were watching a Teaching Company series on game theory a few years ago, and it was really interesting, but we never quite finished it.
  • No. Fucking the other person over is only a good thing if it helps you win.
    Always maximise expected utility; that is the cardinal rule.
    So with the Prisoner's Dilemma: I expect the other prisoner to try and maximize their own utility, thereby testifying against me. THEREFORE my best option is to testify against him, as we will both only get five years. I really can't expect him to remain silent because he wants to go free just as much as I do, so while testifying when he doesn't is the maximal utility, I can't tell what he's going to do and must therefore assume he'll do the selfish thing.
  • Yes, your reasoning is correct.
    However, you must note that if there is some mechanism you can use in order to ensure neither of you testifies, then that is preferable to both prisoners testifying.
  • Yes, your reasoning is correct.
    However, you must note that if there is some mechanism you can use in order to ensure neither of you testifies, then that is preferable to both prisoners testifying.
    Such a device being loyalty to each other or some thing similar.
  • That's about the theory of making games, but is it actually about game theory? I've watched one or two, and it didn't seem like it.
    Correct, not Game Theory.