This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Amazon price gouging?

2»

Comments

• If you dissabled the IR lightsource and instead used IR lightsources on the person's body, it should work.
  • Is the Playstation thing more precise, because it basically is just a camera looking at glowing balls. If you had some balls and programmed the Kinect to look for them, would it be more/less precise than PS3 or pro mocap hardware?
    Tracking known objects will always give you a much more precise measurement than tracking unknown size objects. The Move is more precise because the software is following balls of known size, so with a high resolution camera you can perform some simple transformations to get exact position relative to the camera and each other. The Kinect could be just as precise as the PS3 if it required some known entity to track, although that would defeat it's purpose. As far as I'm aware, professional mo-cap uses the same principle as the Move, just with a higher density of objects to track and many more cameras to deal with occlusion and the such.
  • The only thing Emily is excited about with the Kinect:
    Cheap Mo-cap solution for 3D animation.
    Actually, that's not a bad idea. If you could afford the expense of using a couple of them - so that you don't have blank spots - and it would probably work quite well. I mean, it won't be perfect, but it'll be decent enough to get away with.
  • Kinect Becomes Motion Capture Tool
    Mind you, this isn't pro-grade motion capture, but say you are a student making a video game, or an independent film maker who wants to use motion capture for something? Not a bad hack.
  • I'm actually considering getting a kinect because it's good and cheap high quality robotic vision.
  • I'm actually considering getting a kinect because it's good and cheap high quality robotic vision.
    It'd be a great terrain sensor for a robotic RC car. Couple it with some other sensors (compasses, gyroscopes, and accelerometers), and you could potentially build something that can drive itself.
    It'd be a great terrain sensor for a robotic RC car. Couple it with some other sensors (compasses, gyroscopes, and accelerometers), and you could potentially build something that can drive itself.
    RC Car+kinect+Arduino(accelerometer+motorshield+GPS shield)+netbook=FUCK YEAH.
  • Use a fiber-optic tether to the Netbook and you have an excellent DARPA challenge Proof of Concept.
  • Kinect Becomes Motion Capture Tool
    Mind you, this isn't pro-grade motion capture, but say you are a student making a video game, or an independent film maker who wants to use motion capture for something? Not a bad hack.
    Hmmm...this could be very useful indeed.
  • The only thing Emily is excited about with the Kinect:
    Cheap Mo-cap solution for 3D animation.
    Do you think the fidelity of the capture will be high enough to be of any use for animation? It always seems that mo-cap need to be super precise with all the ball tracking.
    Is the Playstation thing more precise, because it basically is just a camera looking at glowing balls. If you had some balls and programmed the Kinect to look for them, would it be more/less precise than PS3 or pro mocap hardware?
    I have heard that the Move hardware is incredibly accurate in tracking the position of your glowing ball in 3D space. Where Move fails is when a games asks you to use it as a pointing device.
  • Also, it looks like a dildo.
  • Also, it looks like a dildo.
    Apparently the rest of the world (or at least some of Japan) thinks so as well.