This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Introduction to include the year

edited December 2010 in GeekNights
This is my first post in the forum. I hate to make this post because it goes against my Anti-Year stance in the intro. I first saw Rym & Scott at PAX East in the Losing Should Be Fun Lecture (thank you for enlightening me about the WOO game and it's evils). Since August, I've been going back and downloading the podcasts, going backwards in time. On the January 7th, 2010 "The Triumphant Return of Questioning and Answering" podcast, Scott says the date, year included, and it's a tight intro. It is much better than the experiments Rym has tried. No offense, it's a Joisey thing(I'm really not from New Jersey). The nice way to put the year in having been demonstrated, please don't put the year in.

I understand Rym's argument about having to deal with the people that complain might about not understanding that a metamoment from two years ago might not apply this year. However, these are the same mouth-breathers that don't read the words on the screen. The day of the week and the date if mentioned in every podcast that I've listened to (I'm up to Summer of 2009). If someone can't realize that what you say the date is doesn't match up with what the calender says the date is, then should we make life easier for them? I say NO! This really comes down to making people listen to the words that you say.

Comments

• How much did Scott pay you.
  • Scott stop sockpuppeting.
  • Neither paid nor a puppet. I just have to deal with a lot of people at work that don't listen. It's very irritating.
  • Neither paid nor a puppet. I just have to deal with a lot of people at work that don't listen. It's very irritating.
    Don't worry, mate, They're just having a joke with you. Welcome to the forums, stick around - if you want to make a more complete intro in the introduce yourself thread, that'd be cool, but otherwise, welcome!
  • Aye, Welcome!
  • You don't have to be a complete idiot to not realize something like the year of the podcast being wrong. Smart people can often miss the most obvious things, and it seems to me that the loss of the few seconds of the podcast it takes to put the year in is outweighed by the time someone might lose being confused on this issue.
  • I do think Rym could stand to say it better. The way he says it is kinda irritating, but I don't think it's a bad idea.
  • If it's good enough for The Daily Show, it's good enough for the Geeknights.
    What was that? I wasn't listening...
  • If it's good enough for The Daily Show, it's good enough for the Geeknights.