This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Nah, it may install some extra driver programs but that's about it.
  • Ok so I've got an older dell inspiron desktop from about 3 years agos. Its not exactly high end but it gets the job done. Right now I've got a 2.1Ghz amd 64X2 processor with 2 gigs of RAM and an old Geforce 7300le. I'd like to start getting more into pc gaming, so my question is am I better off buying a couple more gigs of ram, a new video card and power supply that will support it or should I just finally give in (when I have the cash) and buy/build a new pc?
  • Ok so I've got an older dell inspiron desktop from about 3 years agos. Its not exactly high end but it gets the job done. Right now I've got a 2.1Ghz amd 64X2 processor with 2 gigs of RAM and an old Geforce 7300le. I'd like to start getting more into pc gaming, so my question is am I better off buying a couple more gigs of ram, a new video card and power supply that will support it or should I just finally give in (when I have the cash) and buy/build a new pc?
    If it has a PCI x16 slot, you can probably just get a new video card, and your gaming will be just fine. Otherwise, get a new computer.
  • Why would I want the 32bit version though?
    Only reasons I can think of are:
    • You want to upgrade an existing 32-bit installation of Windows without reformatting the drive. I'm not sure if the OEM edition supports upgrade at all, but the retail edition requires a reformat if you want to upgrade 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows.
    • Your machine only has a 32-bit CPU and therefore lacks the 64-bit mode (unlikely unless it's fairly old or perhaps really cheap)
    • You want to run 16-bit Windows or DOS apps, which aren't supported in 64-bit Windows (although something like DOSBox will let you run those DOS apps under emulation).
  • You want to use the 32-bit version in a virtual machine to support the aforementioned 16-bit Windows/DOS apps. Or you are an application developer, and you need to test your application on every version of the Windows OS, 32, 64, professional, ultimate, premium, etc.
  • You want to use the 32-bit version in a virtual machine to support the aforementioned 16-bit Windows/DOS apps. Or you are an application developer, and you need to test your application on every version of the Windows OS, 32, 64, professional, ultimate, premium, etc.
    Touché... I was thinking from the point of view of the average home user, not a developer. Although, if you are going to run 32-bit Windows in a VM, don't you need a second license to do so because of WGA license validation?
  • edited March 2011
    Touché... I was thinking from the point of view of the average home user, not a developer. Although, if you are going to run 32-bit Windows in a VM, don't you need a second license to do so because of WGA license validation?
    Yeah. I'm saying that someone bought this copy of Windows explicity for VM-usage.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ok, I'm confused.

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 on Jeremy's computer today. What's the difference between this version and the OEM pack?

I called a local store and they said it's basically a cheaper version for people just building a system where you don't get Microsoft support.

I don't necessarily need the support and I just want to install Windows 7. It's $80 cheaper and seems to be the thing I need. Help? >__>
    I should've read a bit closer. Are you installing on a brand new system or upgrading an existing system? If upgrading, the upgrade version is cheaper than even the OEM version (though only by $5).
  • edited April 2011
    So, my computer has been cutting power and shutting off multiple times daily for the last month or so and I finally can't ignore it any longer because Portal 2 comes out two weeks. The question is, should I just replace the exact PSU that I have or is there a better option?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • What graphics card and processor do you have?
  • Depending on how many drives you have running and other factors like that, you'll probably want to move to a 650W. The minimum for one of those cards is a 400W, and you're probably drawing plenty with that CPU. Random shutdowns and stuff are usually PSU issues, and I don't know what it'd be otherwise. Get the next most powerful Earthwatts and hold onto the old one and all the packaging in case the problem persists.
  • So, I got the 650W and just installed it and am still having the same problem. Does that mean that there's a problem with my mobo?
  • So, I got the 650W and just installed it and am still having the same problem. Does that mean that there's a problem with my mobo?
    Likely.
  • edited April 2011
    Is it more likely that the motherboard itself has a defect, or that the processor is broken? Or what can I try to determine which it is?

Here's my mobo.

[Edit] Could a bad stick of RAM/broken RAM slot be the issue?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Check your CPU temps with CPUID HardwareMonitor.
  • My CPU's temperature is fine.
  • So, I decided to apply some new thermal paste just in case, and my PC seems to be staying on for now. Let's hope this holds.
  • Between BF3 and Skyrim, I think I'm gonna have to upgrade, or build a new system. They seem like they will deserve to be played a maximum levels.
  • Is it generally cheaper to build your own desktop or to buy one?
    The computer I'm sitting on now is one that I built myself, and I did it for about $1,200. I see pre-built computers online for $1,500 that have half the RAM and storage space, with their video card and processor being within the same realm as my stuff.
    I prefer building, but most of that is personal preference of A. Full control over what goes into my machine, and B. The experience of building the machine itself. In terms of just price-for-efficiency, pre-built machines are actually pretty much on-par with custom-build computers, lest you get suckered into buying some sort of "ultra Alienware-whatever gaming machine" that charges you insane prices for more power that you really don't actually need. I'm guessing you want to use this machine for gaming, so evaluate what sort of games you'll probably be running, and figure out what sort of system specs you'll need. Be honest with yourself, and don't go nuts and, say, get an i7 when a Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom will do the trick. Compare those specs with pre-built machines, and figure out what's best for you. If you don't feel comfortable with your ability to figure that out, just get a pre-built machine that does what you want for a reasonable price, and you should be fine. If you really do want to try building your own machine, though, try consulting some friends on what parts are best for your specific needs to start, and go from there.

Pre-built or custom, it's not even so much price anymore as it is personal preference/comfort zone.
  • B. The experience of building the machine itself.
    I must say I am very glad I built my own especially because of this. Feels good to know how things go together instead of looking inside a case and know what you're looking at.
  • edited April 2011
    B. The experience of building the machine itself.
    I must say I am very glad I built my own especially because of this. Feels good to know how things go together instead of looking inside a case and know what you're looking at.
    And if price/function weren't a huge factor for a lot of people, I would pretty much recommend everyone try building their own computer once. Thing is, thanks to fanboyism, a lot of people probably end up getting convinced by their friends to get something more expensive that they don't actually need - "Hey *friend's name*, I'm building a computer and need a CPU. I'm not doing anything too intensive on it, just some light-moderate gaming, so this AMD Phenom X4 looks pretty goo-" "WHARRGARBLE i7 ONLY INTEL > AMD FOREVER."
    I've had a frightening number of aspiring young comp-building friends of mine fall prey to this trap.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Knowing HOW something works seems to be becoming a lost art as more elements of our lives are becoming disposable and prepackaged. If you truly enjoy computers, build it yourself and spend the time to learn how the parts go together. Even people who know the difference between a CPU and a GPU don't always know about ZIF sockets and form factors (don't laugh, I have met a large number of them).

Even building a simpler media center PC will give you the knowledge and experience. If you are worried about breaking something, check used sales for parts and pieces and make a simple junk PC and try to get it to boot.

You won't regret knowing how a computer works at a more fundamental level.
  • How move 800MB of 5MB picture files to people who aren't particularly tech savvy and may not want to download all of them at once?
  • How move 800MB of 5MB picture files to people who aren't particularly tech savvy and may not want to download all of them at once?
    Flickr.
  • Kinda hoping for a way without a resolution restriction, but I could renew my pro account.
  • Kinda hoping for a way without a resolution restriction, but I could renew my pro account.
    Use Picasa?
    Dropbox.com might do the trick (if you haven't already done this).