This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• If you're using Word 2007 there should be one or two automatically saved copies of it as temp files. It usually shows them on the left sidebar.
  • edited September 2011
    Using OpenOffice on Ubuntu. No document recovery popup or bar. Is there an Ubuntu equivalent of Recuva? I notice when I open OpenOffice it creates a file in /tmp and deletes it when I close.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Apparently you should be using LibreOffice nowadays, though it probably doesn't have that feature either.
  • Apparently you should be using LibreOffice LaTeX nowadays, though it probably doesn't have that feature either.
  • No. I really should have been using word on my windows partition. I set up a long download in Ubuntu and didnt want to kill it.
  • You see, this is why you save often, and save it to Dropbox.
  • Most anime I watch is in Japanese + subtitles (usually a .srt file) and quite often 720p. This is fine if you are watching it on a semi decent computer.

I want to watch it on my PS3 or iPad.

How do I encode the subtitles onto the movie/series? The PS3 + iPad do not support .srt as far as I can tell. At any rate, i want to be able to give the anime to other people without the hassle of .srt files.
  • Can't you run mplayer on those devices?
  • How do I encode the subtitles onto the movie/series? The PS3 + iPad do not support .srt as far as I can tell. At any rate, i want to be able to give the anime to other people without the hassle of .srt files.
    Handbrake maybe?
  • edited October 2011
    Is there a protocol thats as responsive as RDP while being as cross-platform (but not as slow) as VNC?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I'm being given a line of data representing phone calls of the form

p ##:## ##:##

and need to use take out the numbers and put them into arrays. My strategy was to create a structure with data types in order for the garbage characters and for the important numbers, and looked a bit like

cin >> [starting letter] >> [space] >> [starting hour] ...

but that isn't working. Does anyone know what the proper syntax is?
  • I don't know how to do it in C++, but I would use a regular expression. You get input validation for free!
  • Ack. Gotta write an ExtJS plugin that parses CSV, because apparently they never thought of that! (Why don't all APIs just use JSON?)
  • Turns out I was mostly right but and made my error by trying to deal with spaces as characters. cin knows to use spaces as the breaks between ints and got confused about data types when I told it to look for them on top of that.
  • edited November 2011
    So, I'm rejiggering my DNS settings, and I was wondering two things: The first specific to google apps, and the second more general.

1. I have two domains, yoshokatana.com and yosho.me. I want to use the second for my website, and have everything pointing to it (dev.*, status.*, etc), but my google apps is registered under yoshokatana.com. I'm fine with keeping that as my email (and using @yosho.me as an alias), but I want to set up a mail.* subdomain to point to google apps.

Google's way to do this is to create a CNAME record for mail.yoshokatana.com to point to ghs.google.com, and apparently their server sees Host: mail.yoshokatana.com and gives me the proper login page.

Would it be possibly to create a CNAME record at mail.yosho.me to point to mail.yoshokatana.com, or would that confuse google's server? I'm going to test it, but I thought I'd pose the question here.

2. Speaking of having two domains, what's the best way to have them both pointing to one server? This article says that I should have everything pointing to the main server, and use ServerAlias and 301 redirects. The problem is, I have a separate server that I use for dev stuff, at dev.*, and I want both dev.yosho.me and dev.yoshokatana.com to point to it.

How should I set this up? I've got this so far:

(Key: yggdrasil and chronos are the physical servers. Chronos is the dev server)
    hostname  domaintypetarget
    yosho.meAyggdrasil
    yoshokatana.com  CNAME  yosho.me
    devyosho.meAchronos
    devyoshokatana.com  CNAME  dev.yosho.me
    statusyosho.meCNAME  yosho.me
    status.dev  yosho.meCNAME  dev.yosho.me
    www.yosho.me and www.yoshokatana.com can be handled with ServerAlias and redirects, but that still duplicates content between the two domains, right? (From a search/SEO perspective). Should I use the CNAME record for yoshokatana.com, or have an A record pointing directly to yggdrasil?

Also, if I pass status.* as a CNAME to the domain (rather than use a A record directly), and create an apache virtualhost on the relavant server, will it work correctly? Or will it redirect to the default virtualhost (e.g. yosho.me or dev.yosho.me)?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited November 2011
    So, I've almost got it set up, but I'm not sure how to do the redirects. The DNS is configured like above, and the ServerName(s) and ServerAlias(s) are set up, but it's not redirecting properly. It seems, from my research, that I should do this:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^dev\.yoshokatana\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://dev.yosho.me/$1 [R,L]

But that does nothing. Setting the rule [R,N] just puts it into a mod_rewrite loop.
  • So, .rtf and .txt files that contain Japanese characters that I made on the mac in TextEdit get all garbled when I open them in Windows 7. I thought I saved them as Unicode, but obviously I did not. Does anyone know how I should open .rtf files in Windows to preserve the character encoding?
  • edited November 2011
    So, I went and disabled Flash, just to see what it's like. Then this happened:

I assume that's a youtube video trying to load via flash. I enabled html5 over at youtube's site, but I'm not sure how it works for embedded videos. Advice?
  • I assume that's a youtube video trying to load via flash. I enabled html5 over at youtube's site, but I'm not sure how it works for embedded videos. Advice?
    It depends how the embed is done. Old style embeds, which Vanilla 2 still uses, won't work. It has to be the new iframe style Youtube embed.
  • So, I'm looking for a new laptop. Something simple that's great with video. I'm making this my convention laptop and really only using it for that. Any advice on what brands of specs I should be looking for?
  • I'm sorry to ask this, but I've no idea where to look for ideas. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for touch typists?
  • I'm sorry to ask this, but I've no idea where to look for ideas. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for touch typists?
    The Happy Hacking keyboard is well regarded amongst programmers. The Das Keyboard is a tad expensive, but very high quality.
    The Happy Hacking keyboard is well regarded amongst programmers. The Das Keyboard is a tad expensive, but very high quality.
    I should probably mention I'm a graphic designer and not a programmer.
    Not to be an ass, but aren't all keyboards for touch typing?
    I would go with a standard 108 key keyboard and add one of these and you are set.
  • edited March 2012
    I would go with a standard 108 key keyboard and add one of these and you are set.
    One of your quotes in your HTML was a ' and the other was a ". Fixed.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited March 2012
    I'm sorry to ask this, but I've no idea where to look for ideas. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for touch typists?
    I am a programmer and I don't have any interest in the Happy Hacking keyboard. As far as I'm concerned, nothing can touch good old IBM Model M buckling spring technology for being awesome for touch typing. If you're lucky, you may be able to find some of these at a swap meet/flea market/etc. cheap, but they'd be missing some keys that modern keyboards have (like the Windows key) and you'd need a PS/2 to USB adapter.

Or, you can buy a keyboard from Unicomp, which has licensed the tech from IBM and still makes them with modern layouts and USB connectors. You can even get them with that little mini-joystick thing you find on ThinkPads and whatnot so you don't ever have to remove your fingers from home row to mouse around. Oh, and they're also cheaper than the Das Keyboard and have superior key switches (I had a keyboard with the same switches as Das Keyboard and found them inferior to the Model M's buckling spring).
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
    I am a programmer and I don't have any interest in the Happy Hacking keyboard. As far as I'm concerned, nothing can touch good old IBM Model M buckling spring technology for being awesome for touch typing. If you're lucky, you may be able to find some of these at a swap meet/flea market/etc. cheap, but they'd be missing some keys that modern keyboards have (like the Windows key) and you'd need a PS/2 to USB adapter.
    The springs are a little bit nicer, but the HHK isn't far behind. If you really want you can shell out for the HHK pro which has springs. The reason I use HHK instead of IBM is because the advantages of the superior key layout vastly outweigh the disadvantage of not having actual springs. Caps lock is replaced by control. Esc is so much closer, which makes a huge difference since I use vim and hit Esc a zillion times a day. In addition to the old busted layouts, the old IBM keyboards take up way too much room on the desk.