This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• The springs are a little bit nicer, but the HHK isn't far behind. If you really want you can shell out for the HHK pro which has springs. The reason I use HHK instead of IBM is because the advantages of the superior key layout vastly outweigh the disadvantage of not having actual springs. Caps lock is replaced by control. Esc is so much closer, which makes a huge difference since I use vim and hit Esc a zillion times a day. In addition to the old busted layouts, the old IBM keyboards take up way too much room on the desk.
    You can swap Caps Lock and Control in software -- it's the first thing I do whenever I configure a new system. Unicomp even offers replacement keycaps if you want to actually change the labels as well as the functionality. I'll give you a point for Esc's location if you're a heavy vi/vim user. However, I do like having separate arrow keys and a numeric keypad, something the HHK doesn't offer. I also disagree about it taking up too much space on my desk, but again, that's just personal preference.
  • I'm sorry to ask this, but I've no idea where to look for ideas. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for touch typists?
    Not to be an ass, but aren't all keyboards for touch typing?
    I have seen a rash of keyboards with flat keys, and they tend to slow down my typing speed. I'm trying to avoid keyboards like that, as well as just plain old cheap keyboards that fall apart.
  • Chiclet keyboards can die in a fire.
  • I'm sorry to ask this, but I've no idea where to look for ideas. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard for touch typists?
    Not to be an ass, but aren't all keyboards for touch typing?
    I have seen a rash of keyboards with flat keys, and they tend to slow down my typing speed. I'm trying to avoid keyboards like that, as well as just plain old cheap keyboards that fall apart.
    I can't think of keyboard in the last decade that has failed on me. Usually the stupid little feet just break off.
    Chiclet keyboards can die in a fire.
    Why, cause they're simple, cheap, and unfathomably reliable?
  • edited March 2012
    I've noticed that many (most?) non-Apple chiclet keyboards are really bad. But I really love my MacBook Air's chiclet keyboard.

Anyway, Diagoras, you aren't really giving us many specifics as to what you're looking for. A regular old Logitech bottom-of-the-line keyboard suffices just fine if you don't want anything special.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited March 2012
    I've noticed that many (most?) non-Apple chiclet keyboards are really bad. But I really love my MacBook Air's chiclet keyboard.
    I hate the Apple ones also. I'll tolerate them for HTPC use since you aren't actually typing and other factors are more important, such as size. Otherwise, they are murder on the hands for any serious typing.

In my experience the people who like them are the people who don't touch-type properly.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2012
    Anyway, Diagoras, you aren't really giving us many specifics as to what you're looking for. A regular old Logitech bottom-of-the-line keyboard suffices just fine if you don't want anything special.
    That's my problem. I'm looking for a keyboard that is comfortable to type on, has a standard layout, and durable. I've been using a laptop keyboard for the last six years, and I miss not having a number pad or normal function keys. I'm switching from Mac to Windows, and have been out of the PC loop for a while.

Post edited by Diagoras on
  • The Logitech Media Keyboard is $20, has a numpad, won't break on you (but seriously, I have never had a desktop keyboard fail on me), and has a standard layout. Also, media keys above the F-keys for your iTunes or Winamps or whatever.

http://www.logitech.com/keyboards/keyboard/devices/7241
  • That's my problem. I'm looking for a keyboard that is comfortable to type on, has a standard layout, and durable. I've been using a laptop keyboard for the last six years, and I miss not having a number pad or normal function keys. I'm switching from Mac to Windows, and have been out of the PC loop for a while.
    Again, I'd strongly recommend the Model M-style keyboard from Unicomp I mentioned earlier. Fully standard layouts, good clicky feel, will last just about forever, and built like a tank so you can use it to club zombies to death with when the apocalypse comes.

I love my old Model-M that I picked up for $4 at a computer fair, but unfortunately it doesn't have a USB interface and I kind of do want some of the newer keys and such on more modern keyboards.
  • edited March 2012
    So, I'm looking for a new laptop. Something simple that's great with video. I'm making this my convention laptop and really only using it for that. Any advice on what brands of specs I should be looking for?
    Look for weight. Lighter is better. Also, larger touch pads are more comfortable. That's about it. I would tell you to look for more, (screen size, feel of the keyboard and touchpad, price, color) but they are mostly obvious.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • edited March 2012
    Well, that's two ideas I can mull over. I'm still in the planning stages of a computer build. I'm going to have to wait until I can afford it anyway, so I've plenty of time. Thanks everyone.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited March 2012
    I'm thinking about getting a HHK Pro, but I'm worried about the lack of arrow keys. Thoughts?

I guess inb4 "learn you a vim for great good".

EDIT: Ahhhhh. h, j, k, l. Interesting…
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • In all honesty, the HHK Pro is kind of silly. It's a shitton of money for not much benefit. The Lite 2 is just fine and costs a whole lot less.
  • Oh wow, that is a lot of money, now that I actually look it up.
  • In all honesty, the HHK Pro is kind of silly. It's a shitton of money for not much benefit. The Lite 2 is just fine and costs a whole lot less.
    The Lite 2 does use membrane switches a la your standard el-cheapo keyboard (though maybe they are a bit higher quality than average). The only thing going for it is if you like its layout/size, which may or may not matter. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm paying more than $20 for a keyboard, I at least want it to have some sort of true mechanical switches, whether buckling spring (my preferred type), Cherry, Alps (also pretty good, though the Matias Tactile Pro I used to use has some key ghosting issues), or those crazy Topre capacitive switches the HHK Pro has (if I had more money than sense). Granted, the HHK Pro's price is in line with all the other keyboards that use the same switch technology.
  • The Lite 2 does use membrane, but it has an advantage. The physical plastic structure of the keyboard is such that filth that falls in-between the keys does not reach the internal circuits and membranes and such. If you unscrew the keyboard you can remove the top part and dishwash it.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm considering a Lite 2 because I actually want something without a number pad. I've noticed since I first saw Scott's HHK that I spend a lot of time moving my hand between the mouse, over the numpad, to the keys and back. Finding a keyboard without a numpad has proven damn near impossible, the Lite2 is pretty much it. However, I'm not sure I could deal with the ctrl key being in the caps lock.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I'm considering a Lite 2 because I actually want something without a number pad. I've noticed since I first saw Scott's HHK that I spend a lot of time moving my hand between the mouse, over the numpad, to the keys and back. however, I'm not sure I could deal with the ctrl key being in the caps lock.
    Seriously, when do you ever use caps lock? The HHK lets you do caps lock by pressing Fn+Tab, but even that shouldn't exist.

You might be really used to hitting ctrl down in the corner, so you might end up reaching for the old position sometimes. The thing is, the caps lock is so much closer and easier to hit you will wonder why ctrl was ever in such a stupid place so far away to begin with. Especially if you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts.
  • There is no Caps Lock, only Control. </zuul>
  • edited March 2012
    I use a Razer Arctosa, mostly because it's a good keyboard and was on sale. Blank keys take some getting used to but now I can type really comfortably and the basic anti-ghosting makes the control scheme I use in games work better (Mostly due to me liking caps-control as duck.).

I also caps-control every laptop I use.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Seriously, when do you ever use caps lock? The HHK lets you do caps lock by pressing Fn+Tab, but even that shouldn't exist.

You might be really used to hitting ctrl down in the corner, so you might end up reaching for the old position sometimes. The thing is, the caps lock is so much closer and easier to hit you will wonder why ctrl was ever in such a stupid place so far away to begin with. Especially if you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts.
    Well every once in a while I use it to yell at you. :P

But seriously, I agree with your case for it being better, but the problem that it's different from every other keyboard I'll come into contact with on a regular basis. I'm not sure I want that.
  • Seriously, when do you ever use caps lock? The HHK lets you do caps lock by pressing Fn+Tab, but even that shouldn't exist.

Well every once in a while I use it to yell at you. :P

But seriously, I agree with your case for it being better, but the problem that it's different from every other keyboard I'll come into contact with on a regular basis. I'm not sure I want that.
    I've changed every keyboard I come into contact with on a regular basis.
  • I've changed every keyboard I come into contact with on a regular basis.
    As I spend half my work hours in a conference room on a laptop, I do not have this luxury. So I've be swapping ever other day. Also, I <3 backspace.
  • The Lite 2 does use membrane, but it has an advantage. The physical plastic structure of the keyboard is such that filth that falls in-between the keys does not reach the internal circuits and membranes and such. If you unscrew the keyboard you can remove the top part and dishwash it.
    Membranes still feel "mushy" to me, even with a smart plastic structure on top of them. I really, honestly, do prefer the feel of a mechanical keyboard. Admittedly, I'm not sure I'd want to use it in an office environment because of the noise (I've used my Model M in the office in the past and gotten some complaints) -- but at that point I'd just go with a cheap keyboard (AKA what my company gives me) and software remap keys (turn Caps Lock intro Control) as I see fit. Plus, membranes do wear out much more quickly than mechanical switches. While they haven't been on the market for that long yet, I doubt you'll see many operable HHKs in 20 years, whereas there are still tons of working, if filthy, 20-year old Model M's floating around.

Now, if the HHK was like $40 at most, I think that would be a fair price given what you said about its plastic shell. However, the $80 or so I see for it on Amazon seems way overpriced for what's essentially a cheap membrane keyboard with the number pad chopped off.
  • edited March 2012
    One of my HHKs is already 8 years old and is like new.
  • One of my HHKs is already 8 years old and is like new.
    Okay, so I guess it mostly passes the durability requirement (even I consider the ability to be used as a club as a nice bonus, but not a necessity, in a keyboard :) ). Still not a fan of the feel of membranes or the layout, however, but I can respect people purchasing it for its layout. I also still think it's a bit overpriced at $80, but I can see it being worth maybe about $50 as it is a bit of a niche product.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm thinking of getting a new computer soon and I won't have any need for my old one. What do you guys do with your old computers? Sell/donate/trash it? If I do do this, should I worry about doing something extra to make sure all my old data is completely wiped from the HD, or will simple system restore be fine?
    Post edited by iruul on
  • edited March 2012
    Use dban on all the disks. Then recycle it, sell it, or donate it.
  • edited March 2012
    Recommended Linux distribution for an EeePC netbook to be used by a non-neckbeard (my sister)? Should I just stick with the latest Ubuntu?
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited March 2012
    Recommended Linux distribution for an EeePC netbook to be used by a non-neckbeard (my sister)? Should I just stick with the latest Ubuntu?
    Yeah, that's pretty much the only safe bet. I would wait until April, though, for 12.04.