This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ski Season has Opened

RymRym
edited December 2010 in Everything Else
Hunter Mountain is finally open! In a few weeks, once they've filled out all the good trails, would anyone be up for meeting there for a day of skiing? I tend to head up for Saturdays.

Comments

• I don't know, I like having functioning knees.
  • I don't know, I like having functioning knees.
    Well, honestly, while I plan to have some FRC ski trips with the beginners, I'm aiming more at listeners who are actually already good skiers to join me on the mountain. ;^)
  • Ready to punch another hole in my leg, senpai! >:O
  • Well, honestly, while I plan to have some FRC ski trips with the beginners, I'm aiming more at listeners who are actually already good skiers to join me on the mountain. ;^)
    It's cool, I was dissing skiing in general. :P
  • Well, honestly, while I plan to have some FRC ski trips with the beginners, I'm aiming more at listeners who are actually already good skiers to join me on the mountain. ;^)
    It's cool, I was dissing skiing in general. :P
    If that wasn't already easy enough.
  • As always I'm always up for skiing be it teaching beginners or hardcore (but not too hardcore ^_^)
  • It's cool, I was dissing skiing in general. :P
    Besides, snowboarding is way more harsh on your knees than skiing in my experience. YMMV.
    If that wasn't already easy enough.
    What exactly is wrong with skiing? ;^)
  • As always I'm always up for skiing be it teaching beginners or hardcore (but not too hardcore ^_^)
    I'll make a separate secret thread for our own ski trips. I just want to see if any listeners want to join us on the West Mountain.
  • Besides, snowboarding is way more harsh on your knees than skiing in my experience.
    Skiing has a much higher chance of wrenching your knee in a direction it wasn't meant to go.
    What exactly is wrong with skiing? ;^)
    Yeah, what's the deal? If it wasn't so physically dangerous I'd be all over skiing. And I'd still like to try it some time.
  • Skiing has a much higher chance of wrenching your knee in a direction it wasn't meant to go.
    Skill and properly configured bindings mostly mitigate the risk.
  • edited December 2010
    I've gone skiing a few times but know better than to play with the big boys. I can handle those blue squares but it stops there.

If you decided you wanted to drag a bunch of beginners out, there is a great place called Tuxedo Ridge only about an hour from NYC: http://www.tuxedoridge.com/
    It is laughably smaller than Hunter Mountain but is closer, cheaper, and easier, which makes it great for teaching new people. I went there 4 times over a winter break in 2004 w/ my girlfriend at the time (who lived in Tuxedo). Had an awesome time learning on the small mountain, but that was the extent of my ski experience.

(edit for crazy typos)
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I want to get into snow sports, but there isn't anywhere close enough that I could make a weekend out of it rather than a vacation.
  • If anyone wants to sit in my warm and dry apartment with blankets, food, and video games, let me know.
  • If anyone wants to sit in my warm and dry apartment with blankets, food, and video games, let me know.
    I'd love to but you too are too far away for me to make a weekend trip out of it and I wouldn't want you to put up with me for a week. :p