This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Space X launch now!

Comments

• T minus 3 minutes. Who thinks it will blow up?
  • T minus 3 minutes. Who thinks it will blow up?
    It worked last time, so I bet on it working again! When people are spending their own money instead of tax money, they are much more careful.
  • Of course, an explosion would be much more entertaining me personally right now, it will be much less beneficial to me in the long run.
  • It worked last time, so I bet on it working again! When people are spending their own money instead of tax money, they are much more careful.
  • I think this is actually paid for by NASA, but the way they are doing it is paying per KG or astronaut from now on. It's costing about 500 million NASA dollars to invest in private companies, but consider each Shuttle launch costs over a billion. EACH!
  • When people are spending their own money instead of tax money, they are much more careful.
    Are you freaking kidding me?
  • I think this is actually paid for by NASA, but the way they are doing it is paying per KG or astronaut from now on. It's costing about 500 million NASA dollars to invest in private companies, but consider each Shuttle launch costs over a billion. EACH!
    They are also manned and require significantly more complex systems to operate.
    They are also manned and require significantly more complex systems to operate.
    Of course. Once the Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule has been running for a few years, they will become manned launch vehicles too. I think they work out at 12 to 1 in terms of astronaut to orbit compared to the Shuttle. That's quite a saving!
  • I think they work out at 12 to 1 in terms of astronaut to orbit compared to the Shuttle. That's quite a saving!
    I'd like to see the math behind this.
  • I think they work out at 12 to 1 in terms of astronaut to orbit compared to the Shuttle. That's quite a saving!
    I'd like to see the math behind this.
    I haven't seen the workings to be honest, but judging the difference in scale between the operations, I wouldn't be surprised. Tell me if you find any figures.
  • It worked last time, so I bet on it working again! When people are spending their own money instead of tax money, they are much more careful
    Lolwhut?
    Don't diss NASA. NASA tries hard to do good science.
    Space X launches and the launches of the shuttle make me all teared up. I don't know why. There is something so stirring about it, and when the countdown ends and after 3 minutes you see footage from the module up over the curvature of the earth, it really hammers home what an amazing thing we have done as a species.
  • edited December 2010
    Don't diss NASA. NASA tries hard to do good science.
    Really? Because Richard Feynman says otherwise.

But srsly, I like NASA. Except for Challenger, they're alright.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • So was this launch manned?
    No, but it used the same launcher that COULD launch manned orbiters.
    No, but it used the same launcher that COULD launch manned orbiters.
    Cool!
  • Really? Because Richard Feynman says otherwise.
    Listen, Richard Feynman died in 1988. When he was alive, science consisted of throwing darts at a small frog while dancing around a fire under the full moon. We've come a long way since then.
  • edited December 2010
    Really? Because Richard Feynman says otherwise.
    Listen, Richard Feynman died in 1988. When he was alive, science consisted of throwing darts at a small frog while dancing around a fire under the full moon. We've come a long way since then.
    He didn't die.

He ascended.

ALSO: He owned NASA with less than five sentences.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I thought that the Space X Dragon capsule was empty. In fact their super-secret payload was...

CHEESE!

For a while, we did have a moon made out of cheese orbiting Earth.
  • But if the moon was made out of spare ribs, would you eat it?
  • But if the moon was made out of spare ribs, would you eat it?