This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Christmas Specials

edited December 2010 in Everything Else
Yes, most of them are cheesetastic. Yes, the eye of nostalgia doesn't work for a LOT of them. I have to admit I still like Christmas specials.
The only thing is now I appreciate more original ones, good ones and still like some from childhood here and there. I think anything that riffs on A Christmas Carol or It's a wonderful life is automatic fail for lack of originality. Some great ones in my opinion:

The Nightmare Before Christmas doubles as a Halloween film and is what I consider the best of Burton. Damn, Burton, what happened to you!

South Park's Woodland Critter Christmas is always on my holiday special rotation. Yeah, it's dead baby humor up to 11, but I can really only watch it if it's South Park doing it.

Invader Zim's Christmas special has the song that is stuck in my head at the moment. Let me pass it to you.

Tokyo Godfathers is really just set during the Christmas/New Year, but it just has that spirit behind it, ya know.

The Next Doctor, the first of the 10th Doctor specials, is ~+*AWESOME*+~! Please excuse the sprinkles, but that is how I say it. Dickens world, cybermen, Morrisey and really the only of the Christmas specials that were decent unless you count the scenes in Turn Left.

Then there's things like Frosty and Rankin Bass stuff and whatever, but I stopped watching them a long time ago.

Comments

• The Invader Zim episode is a yearly tradition among my friends and I. It might just be the best Christmas episode of anything ever.
  • I really enjoyed this year's Community episode.
  • edited December 2010
    Garfield Halloween beats all.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Every time I watch this, it gets me in the Christmasy mood.

• edited December 2010
    I really enjoyed this year's Community episode.
    Fo' sure.
    I mean come on, elimination songs!

Also, Christmas Pterodactyl!
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas doubles as a Halloween film and is what I consider the best of Burton. Damn, Burton, what happened to you!
    He just fell into the same routine over and over.
  • Die Hard.
    Am I the only dude, ever, who has never seen A Year Without A Santa?
  • I have a soft spot in my heart for The Year Without A Santa Claus, if only for the Miser Brothers.
  • I have a soft spot in my heart for The Year Without A Santa Claus, if only for the Miser Brothers.
    Can't beat the bumble.
  • I've always been a fan of Burgermeister Meisterburger. Paul Frees for the win.

• Am I the only dude, ever, who has never seen A Year Without A Santa?
    Are you kidding me? I didn't even think it had to be mentioned because it's so awesome. Well, really only the Snowmiser/Heatmiser song. My ONLY favorite Christmas song.
  • Heeee's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow!
  • ...I want some little chibis of me to be backup singers too.
  • edited December 2010
    I usually don't watch many Holiday only specials. I can pinpoint particular Christmas episodes I enjoy, I can happily say I enjoy most of the ones for The Simpsons, King of the Hill, South Park, The Office, Married with Children and Futurama. (Well, ALL of Futurama) I can pick movies, songs, and episodes, but not specials per se.

What nearly touches me the most when it comes to Christmas, is a video game. I really didn't see this coming, especially in such a lighthearted and quirky came, to make something that hits your soul. And it practically uncheesed a cheesy song for me. (Don't let the halfway mark fool you)

Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • What nearly touches me the most when it comes to Christmas, is a video game. I really didn't see this coming, especially in such a lighthearted and quirky came, to make something that hits your soul. And it practically uncheesed a cheesy song for me. (Don't let the halfway mark fool you)
    This put a lump in my throat the first time I played it.
  • I remember there was an awesome Christmas episode of Urusei Yatsura, though it might not have been a true "Christmas special".
  • Man, I'm playing Half Life 2 and then I'm going to go back and play through EBA and OTO. It's like the games of Christmas past!