This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

del.icio.us is dead

edited December 2010 in Technology
So Yahoo! is killing delicious. I'm already past shit-talking and working on a replacement. I'll move development to GitHub soon.

There are plenty of delicious alternatives out there, but mine is going to be different. The key difference is that it will be much like laconica/identica aka status.net. The idea is that it's open source and you can run your own personal delicious clone instead of using someone else's. Here's a list of features/ideas/todos. What I really need help with is picking a name for the application. Also need help with Chrome/Firefox Extensions and bookmarket because I've never done those before.

* basic delicious features like tagging, private links, rss, but not extra pointless features like friends/inbox.
* import from html exported from delicious
* chrome/firefox extensions and bookmarklet
* yubikey login
* openid/facebook/twitter/other login maybe
* automatic/manual reposting of links to your facebook/twitter
* automatic/manual forwarding of links to link aggregators (reddit/digg/etc.)
* make it so that you can run your own aggregator that people can forward links to and vote on and such.
* url shortenization integration/support
* search

Comments

• And nothing of value was lost.
  • Ok, thinking of calling it tasty or yummy.
  • Really? Is this what you make when you say you have stuff to do? Sweet!
  • Really? Is this what you make when you say you have stuff to do? Sweet!
    No, it's something that's so simple to make that it takes almost no time.
  • Never really used del.icio.us. I just use Twitter and Facebook to share links, and I don't really need "bookmarking."
  • Depending on the functionality of what you're creating, Scott, I may be into this. I'd need to see the actual implementation of your ideas, but this could fit perfectly into my browsing lifestyle.
  • And nothing of value was lost.
    Speak for yourself, I have used delicious since 2005, and I use it to save my bookmarks when at work.
    Ok, thinking of calling it tasty or yummy.
    Ume! Oomy! Oomai!
  • We'll never find the links you post on the forum without delicious...oh wait.
  • I've never used delicious, but count me in for alpha/beta testing.
  • I just started using delicious too. Make something shiny, Scott!
  • myumai.com
  • WARNING: SHIT-TALK DETECTED IN THIS THREAD
  • Speak for yourself, I have used delicious since 2005, and I use it to save my bookmarks when at work.
    Yeah. Del.icio.us has been integral to my Web use for a long god damned time.
    Never really used del.icio.us. I just use Twitter and Facebook to share links, and I don't really need "bookmarking."
    You never need to refer to a specific page you found in the past? Or find evidence to use in an argument that you can call up trivially later? Del.icio.us was mostly about saving and organizing bookmarks remotely. The sharing part wasn't the killer app.
  • You never need to refer to a specific page you found in the past? Or find evidence to use in an argument that you can call up trivially later? Del.icio.us was mostly about saving and organizing bookmarks remotely. The sharing part wasn't the killer app.
    Google bookmarks?
  • myumai.com
    I'm 120% behind this name.
  • You never need to refer to a specific page you found in the past? Or find evidence to use in an argument that you can call up trivially later? Del.icio.us was mostly about saving and organizing bookmarks remotely. The sharing part wasn't the killer app.
    Firefox bookmarks and a little orginizational knowledge?
  • Never really used del.icio.us. I just use Twitter and Facebook to share links, and I don't really need "bookmarking."
    You never need to refer to a specific page you found in the past? Or find evidence to use in an argument that you can call up trivially later? Del.icio.us was mostly about saving and organizing bookmarks remotely. The sharing part wasn't the killer app.
    No, I never really needed that. I don't argue very often, but if I need some evidence that I found a while back, Google is very fast.
  • People, if you don't have private links you want to hide, please send me your exported delicious html files. I need more to test with than just my own.
  • Firefox bookmarks and a little orginizational knowledge?
    And you share this automatically with any PC you ever access in any browser?
  • Anyone know how to export from Flickr most easily?
    Yeah. Yahoo wa mo shinderu. I'm bailing on everything they have.
    Flump
  • edited December 2010
    Now Flumping. Looks good.

Picasa lifeboat, Flickr titanic.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hmm, even though Flump saves the photos, which is most important, I lose all the metadata.
  • That's no good. My private key is in the metadata.
  • Bulkr seems to be the easiest option, and it costs about as much as a year of flickr. Migratr looks OK too, but I have to investigate. Flickr banned Flickerdown, so I can't use that. Still investigating.

My pro account expires in like a week, and I don't plan to renew it
  • edited December 2010
    Hmm, even though Flump saves the photos, which is most important, I lose all the metadata.
    That's no good. My private key is in the metadata.
    Ask and you shall receive.

EDIT: Darn. Scooped by 43 seconds.

I'll use the tool to backup my photos to picasa, but I don't plan on leaving flickr just yet.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'll use the tool to backup my photos to picasa, but I don't plan on leaving flickr just yet.
    Yeah, I'm not leaving Flickr unless it actually goes down. This is a just in case sort of move.
  • What do you guys think of pinboard?